Home Cigar 101

Too cold too low?

VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
All of my humidors are sitting at 62deg/62-64RH. Is this too low? I won't be smoking much in the next few months so its just for storage. I am looking into a small heater for the room they are in just in case.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    At that range I don't think you would have to worry about mold, but the lower humidity may let them dry out a bit.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    get the RH up to 65% and you should be fine.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys!
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    kuzi16:
    get the RH up to 65% and you should be fine.
    Yup, I wouldn't stress too much, but a little bump wouldn't be a bad thing. I would add though that a bump in rh will be a lot easier if its a hair warmer in there.

where do you store them btw? if its in a garage/basement, you might think to bring them into your living space for a few months of the year, considering your location. But honestly, cigars are a lot more durable than we give them credit for.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup I agree with all said!! 60's is fine in temp I actually prefer it in my wineador
    Money can't buy taste
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Computer gaming room. I love it cold and my water cooling kit in my computer keeps my cpu at 22C idle. I will bring them in a warmer room tho. Thanks again guys!
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now, humidibbititty and temp are both fluctuating wildly outside chez webmost. Last night we had rain. This morning, fog and 99%. Right now, sixties and 54%. By tomorrow, who knows. Inside is just as fickle. In Winter, we turn the heater way way down at night, so temp may drop to 50; then the day starts and the heater goes on, which dries the joint out; then evening hits and we fire up the hearth, which dries things even more. The humidor, otoh, stays relatively the same.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)