Home Cigar 101

Too much ordered planning?

havanaalhavanaal Posts: 155 ✭✭
I wonder if I'm too OCD when it comes to cigar storage. My humidor must include the following: An identical pair of long, quality smokes for male company. A couple of mild, flavored cigars to offer female company. At least two special occasion cigars for future celebrations, or for the perfect day. Several lower priced dog walking or golf cigars. A selection of bargain cigars that I couldn't pass up. A section for cigars I've never tried before (usually given as gifts) A section for my current favorites. And if any of these supplies go low, they have to be replaced!

Comments

• KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I have mine somewhat orgainzed by brand, but I basically gave up trying to keep some kind of order because I am always in there rooting around, smelling my smokes, testing them and not to mention smoking them!...etc.

"Long ashes my friends."

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I'm the same way, except instead of 'pairs' you can substitute 'boxes'. In some cases lots of boxes.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    havanaal:
    I wonder if I'm too OCD when it comes to cigar storage. My humidor must include the following: An identical pair of long, quality smokes for male company. A couple of mild, flavored cigars to offer female company. At least two special occasion cigars for future celebrations, or for the perfect day. Several lower priced dog walking or golf cigars. A selection of bargain cigars that I couldn't pass up. A section for cigars I've never tried before (usually given as gifts) A section for my current favorites. And if any of these supplies go low, they have to be replaced!
    I hope you aren't keeping those flavored sticks in the same humi as the non flavored.
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    What I do, is I try to keep at least one cigar on-hand that's in my top five (currently I have a nub habano, a dpg cuban classic, a LOAD of 5 Vegas Series 'A', a big hunk of Man o War, and sadly just a few La Bonitas around.) I then have a few other favorites on hand, but mostly tons of loose sticks that I order in five packs.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    betasynn:
    What I do, is I try to keep at least one cigar on-hand that's in my top five (currently I have a nub habano, a dpg cuban classic, a LOAD of 5 Vegas Series 'A', a big hunk of Man o War, and sadly just a few La Bonitas around.) I then have a few other favorites on hand, but mostly tons of loose sticks that I order in five packs.
    I subscirbe to this method as well. it's normally just me, so I just keep what I really like... My selection is growing though, thanks to these games! Found a few that I'll have to add to the collection.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My humi's are too full to be very organized. I'm either going to have to get another tupperdor or bite the bullet and get a cabinet and be done with it. Looking around at diff sites tonite I did come across a cabinet with a 3000 capacity ( somehow that sounds rediculous when I type it) that is all shelves without the drawers most that large have. It was around 600.00 (about 500.00 cheaper than the one I was eyeing) The more I looked at it the more I liked it, reasoning that air flow would probably be better since its more open plus I would not have the tendancy to open it and root around in the drawers since I could see everything on the shelves without opening it, maybe easier on keeping rh levels where I want them. Plus I could get it a lot sooner . Nothing fancy but appears to be very functional ...
  • kent1146kent1146 Posts: 86
    havanaal:

I think that it's pretty commonplace to own many different cigars for many different situations.  So you're on the mark for that.

But personally, I buy the cigar first and then determine the situation that would fit the cigar.  For example, I could buy a few cigars, and tell right away that they are mild, flavorful smokes.  I would then tell myself, "These are cigars that are suitable to smoke outdoors, during the daytime, in good weather (like golfing).  I'll save the rest of these to smoke when I go golfing."  Or I might buy some cigars, find it to be an absolutely fantastic and expensive cigar, and think "I should save the rest of these for a special occasion."

What I don't do is go out thinking "You know, I need to find a cigar for golfing."  or "I need to find a cigar for special occasions."  I just buy different cigars to try them, and then figure out the circumstances under which I would enjoy smoking it the most.  And after you do that enough times, you end up collecting enough cigars to have a perfect cigar for any occasion.