Home Cigar 101

low humidity (yeah I know)

So...I've been searching and reading and I think I might be more confused now than I was!

Anyway. It seems like only a couple of weeks ago that I was trying like heck to get excess humidity out of my humidors. Apparently time got away from me. Today I checked them and one was at 49%, the others were in the low 50%'s (not terribly concerned about them, based on what I've been reading). I smoked one from the 49%, a Diesel Shorty, and it seemed okay, maybe a little dry but nothing terrible, it might have burned a little fast then again I might have burned it a little fast whilst trying to figure out if it was still okay, you know. The ash was a nice normal grey (read that an over-dry cigar will have black ash?). I'd figure it's been a couple of months since I've been in them (no time)--just enough time for the Bovedas to dry out...and one humi had no Boveda because during the summer it never wanted to go below 70%.

Anyway. I figured I might see if I could get a little hand-holding...you know, they're gonna be fine, it's okay...that sort of thing.

Unless they aren't. LOL. Of course, the only way to tell is to smoke them anyway, right?

Thanks.

Comments

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    It's gonna be okay, they're fine...now let go of my hand, lol.

You probably should check in on your humis more often than every couple months. A lot can happen in that amount of time, like rh going to 49% (!), mold taking hold of your stock, etc. etc. Once a week minimum I'd say to keep track of your rh and make adjustments should work, it only takes a few minutes.

Welcome to the forums and don't be afraid to ask questions, we're here to help.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    First off, welcome to the forums . . . . and its a good question. the right humidity is sort of an art form rather than a science with way too many variables.

as for the question, it's probably the change in weather in combination with your boveda packs drying out. You said that during the warmer months you don't even need a boveda pack in one of your humis which probably meant it was seasoned really well, and was full of well humidified cigars. Also, warmer humis tends to hold more humidity than cold ones so once it cools down your humidity typically drops in there as well. Plus the warmer months also tend to use up your humidification source alot quicker. This plus the weather change probably caused you to be in the low 50s.

So for me, I keep em in a closet to keep the temps fairly consistent but still it gets up to 68 - 72 degrees in the summer and stays there for most of the summer. When its that warm the humidity tends to creep as well, but I find myself having to recharge my beads about once every 4-6 weeks. In the cooler months, they sit at around 62 - 66 degrees and the humidity sits a bit lower naturally and its actually a pain to get it to where I like it (68-70%), BUT once I get it there it seems to sit there perfectly for 2-3 months without needing to be recharged.

so, it might be differnet depending on where you live, but I'm guessing in the summer your humidity was naturally high so you didn't much humidification to keep it where you like, but that also dried up whatever moisture you had in there so then when the weather changed and after a month or two without checking them your in the low 50s.

Its all good though man, just pick up a few boveda packs (or whatever you like to use) and toss em back in and you'll be good to go once the humidor iteself soaks up some moisture again as well. If that doesn't seem to work, or takes a while you might actually need to reseason them, but the hobby is about relaxing so try the easiest route first.
  • Yeah, I should, you guys are quite right. I got busy and spaced it. I try to...oh well, huh?

Live in NH...humid in summer, dry in winter, forced hot air heat, but I do have a whole house humidifier that helps that a little.

And thanks for the welcome. Have been signed up quite a while, I'm more of a lurker and searcher.

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Where in NH do you live? Next time we herf you should come along!
  • Southwest central.

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's getting pretty low. Don't think it would actually hurt them since its only been a couple months. Probably want to bring the humidity up slow though, don't want to risk them busting.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    a.paul:
    Southwest central.

That's awesome brother welcome to the forums. I live in Bennington, VT. Every so often I do find myself in NH for work. It would be great to get together to herf sometime. Have you ever been to Two Guys Smoke Shop in Nashua ...... I was in there a few weeks ago and all I can say is wow. Really nice place. Again welcome to the forums.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm still reeling over "couple months" passing since last opening your humidor. That would mean I was in a coma, or jail, or dead...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Excellent point. How are you supposed to smell them if you don't open the humi?!?