Home General Discussion

Padilla and Don Pepin Garcia

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Can anyone give me the lowdown on  their history.  I understand at one time they were made together but not anymore?  

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The Padilla Miami was made by DPG in his Miami factory. Ernesto Padilla decided to open his own factory in Miami and move the Miami production to his factory and pulled production from DPGs factory. However, to date, Ernesto has still not been able to get licensed to open his factory so he has been subing out the production.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    To further what maddy said, the two, Ernesto and Pepin, collaborated on a number of blends as I understand it. They kinda parted ways in the cigar industry due to Ernesto wanting to remain more boutique and Pepin having more mainstream goals. Something like that anyway...maybe someone with all the info (Alex) could pop on and give us the scoop.
  • Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    There are no easy questions in the cigar industry, especially when it comes to production and relationships. The basis of the whole thing is this.

Eduardo Fernandez is the owner of tropical tobacco (a distributor in the united states) was partners with Pepin in his factories in miami and nicaragua. He is also partners with a small factory in honduras called Raices Cubanas (the make the tempus and illusione). Eduardos big business is in agriculture. is has a massive amount of land and is a very talented tobacco grower and processor. For a long time, his best leaf was going to his two partner factories. Pepin made cigars for Ernesto at both his Miami and Nicaragua factories. For one reason or another, this three way partnership split up. Pepin now owns his own factories and operations and he is buying his tobacco from other suppliers and also is not growing his own leaf in Esteli.

Ernesto left the factory and moved the production of the blends Pepin was making (Miami, 1932 and 1948) to Raices Cubanas in Honduras. Because Raices Cubanas gets Eduardos best tobacco and the same stuff pepin was using to make the padilla blends, there has been very little change the consistency and flavor during this move to the honduras factory for Padilla.

It is not worth going into the details of why these various guys dont work together anymore (Ernesto and Eduardo are still close and work together), but I can tell you that all three of them are stand up guys and I have tons of respect for all of them. Ernesto is a talented blender, Eduardo is one of the most fascinating tobacco growers I have ever met and Pepin.... well Pepin is Pepin... enough said :)
    Alex, whats the latest on Ernestos factory in Miami. Sam Leccia was telling me about the issues Ernesto was running into trying to get licensed. Sam was also saying he refuses to call his nUB a nub miami unless it is actually made in miami and thats why production has been put on hold until Ernesto opens his factory.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    See, back in school, I couldn't handle all the history and geography. But when it pertains to cigars, you have my complete and undivided attention. Tell us more oh wise and knowledgeable Alex.
    maduro, Licensing is underway and I think the bond is done. He should be up and running this month. The first cigar to have production is going to be a maduro version of his Miami line with a San Andres wrapper. I smoked a few and they were delich!!!!
    Alex Svenson:
    maduro, Licensing is underway and I think the bond is done. He should be up and running this month. The first cigar to have production is going to be a maduro version of his Miami line with a San Andres wrapper. I smoked a few and they were delich!!!!
    Uh oh...I already can't get enough of the Miami, now a maduro? Tell me Alex, is it anything like the current Miami, only with the maduro profile added into it? Also, is it better in your opinion?
    I actually find it to be milder than the natural miami personally but it has a great sweetness. These are going to be very pricey cigars I think which is the only drawback but they are tasty.
    Interesting. Nothing wrong with milder in my book, as long as it delivers the goods.
    Alex Svenson:
    Thats good to hear, I'm becoming a pretty big Padilla fan. The 1932 is in my top 5 fave sticks I do believe.

You couldn't share any with your beloved forum members!