Home Cigar 101

Head Cracks

Lordjust2Lordjust2 Posts: 11
Today I attempted to smoke two cigars. When I cut the head of the first the cigar head cracked and began to unravel. I abandoned that cigar and grabbed another brand from the humidor. The head cracked really bad. It was very difficult to smoke as it went out several times. I was outdoors at 54 degrees. The previous two days I smoked cigars from that same humidor that were smaller and they smoked just fine. I have a boveda pack in the humidor. What may be the problem?

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Lordjust2:
    Today I attempted to smoke two cigars. When I cut the head of the first the cigar head cracked and began to unravel. I abandoned that cigar and grabbed another brand from the humidor. The head cracked really bad. It was very difficult to smoke as it went out several times. I was outdoors at 54 degrees. The previous two days I smoked cigars from that same humidor that were smaller and they smoked just fine. I have a boveda pack in the humidor. What may be the problem?
    Eh..do you moisten the cap before you cut? That has taken care of 99% of my problems.
  • Lordjust2Lordjust2 Posts: 11
    No, I just get straight to cutting. Should I let it sit for a few seconds after moistening?
    I just moisten and cut. To be clear, I'm talking about putting the cap in your mouth and getting it moist, not dunking it in water. Yes, this sounds wrong....
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    What kind of cutter? I lost my xikar and had to resort to a backup which resulted in a completely butchered cap.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I smoked today in 38 degree weather and and punched my cigar outside ..... Moistened the cap like I always do and eased my punch in and it was perfect. See pic below. LOL

Look Rain .... There's a hole in my cigar ...... LOL
    Hahahaha.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Rain .... I am worried .... Do you think that's a beetle hole .... its a perfect circle .... I am scared
  • Lordjust2Lordjust2 Posts: 11
    The basic one I got from the shop when I first started
    Lordjust2:
    The basic one I got from the shop when I first started
    That could be it, you might be doing more smashing then cutting. You should upgrade to a quality cutter ASAP. You can have a God of Fire, but with crappy matches/lighter and cutter...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately upgrade your cutter. I always thought there couldn't be much of a difference but I was wrong, you'll be amazed at the difference. And I to find moistening the cap helps a lot.
  • These guys have it covered, but same exact thing was happening to me after about 2 months with my Cuban Crafters cutter. After the second cigar that split down both sides I picked up a Xikar X1 and it has not happened since.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I spotted this thread title, I thought: "Gee, I hope he followed the whole NFL concussion protocol". I used to crack heads with a cheap cutter, but a baseball bat works better. I seldom cracked heads with a punch; maybe didn't get enough shoulder behind it. I have not had a crack since I started using my pocket knife. I always taste the head first, just to taste it.

A pocket knife is so simple to use, and I always have mine handy in my pocket anyway. I don't know why it's not the method of choice -- at least for parejos.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup you guys covered it!! Bad cutter=pain in butt!! Also try a good v cut!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Dull blades it sounds like. Plus like everyone else mentioned, I learned quick if you just slobber up the cap a bit before cutting and can prevent splits most of the time.
  • *Petey**Petey* Posts: 375
    Just saw this thread so apologies for being so late in the game with a suggestion, but . . . . . even though its a bit offtopic . . . . aside from a sharper cutter and moistening the cap, make sure when you are cutting that you don't cut off the entire cap. You need to leave part of the cap or most cigars will unravel on you even if they don't crack it.

Just throwing it out there.