Home Cigar 101

Burn issues - humidity

bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
I've been having some burn issues lately, the cigar is either almost out or getting way too hot. I've verified the humidity in my humidor so I was wandering if it may be the humidity outside? I live in Florida which is humid already and it has been raining almost every day. Would that be enough to cause this? I'm having to either re-light or let it cool off about every inch or two. It's really starting to bother me- at first I thought maybe it was me but I started paying close attention to how often and how hard I draw. I just can't seem to get the cigar into a good rythem. Anyone else having these issues?

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    This could be many different things, and I'm by no means the expert, but I've had these issues as well and here's what I've tried and seemed to help things out

1. Re-Calibrate your hygrometer and place it in different parts to make sure there's even coverage
    2. Check the weather, if it's seemingly getting more humid with the summer then that could be the case
    3. I've noticed that the greater the difference from your cigar and the outside humidity (be it too high or too low) the worse the smoking goes
    4. I've gone so far as to let a cigar sit out in the open (Eeeek! I know!) for a half hour to an hour to let it get accustomed to the ambient temp and humidity to help it burn better
    5. BUY MORE CIGARS!!!
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    You can never go wrong with No. 5. Well, almost never.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if its raining out that means that the RH all around you is either 100% or damn near it.

exactly what you have described is caused by this high RH outside.

i recommend you find a B&M that will let you smoke in there.

or smoke on days it does not rain.
  • Back in MA I lived in a basement level appartment which doubled the already high humidity so I went out and got a cheap dehumidifier. If you are allowed to smoke inside this could be a very worthy investment for you.
  • bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    I'm sure it's probably the outside humidity. It's normally 80% here in Florida anyway, with all the rain we've been getting I'm sure it's higher than that lately. Still, it's very frustrating. on another note - I got my first Xikar cutter today - Xi2. I wasn't sure about paying that much for a cutter, but I already love it.
  • naughtnaught Posts: 56
    This is an issue that makes me want to punch myself in the face. My first hygrometer seemed to perfectly hit 75% during the salt test within an hour or two, which had me suspicious. Just seemed to hit it too quickly. My new hygrometer started at 62% during the salt test... and is still at 62%, seven hours later. I wonder if my first hygrometer, which watches over all of my current stash, is not as 'on' as I thought it was. Because most of my smokes seem to be too hot, or they just go out. I've got a digital hygro on the way and I hope it helps me figure things out.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    naught:
    This is an issue that makes me want to punch myself in the face. My first hygrometer seemed to perfectly hit 75% during the salt test within an hour or two, which had me suspicious. Just seemed to hit it too quickly. My new hygrometer started at 62% during the salt test... and is still at 62%, seven hours later. I wonder if my first hygrometer, which watches over all of my current stash, is not as 'on' as I thought it was. Because most of my smokes seem to be too hot, or they just go out. I've got a digital hygro on the way and I hope it helps me figure things out.

Honestly I don't think you should be frustrated, If you've tried twice to calibrate (twice for each Hygro) and they both say the same thing (either 62 or 75 respectively) and you have some air in your container you shouldn't worry.

I would almost bet that you one Hygro is spot on and your 62 hygro is off by 13...

IF there is one thing I've learned with cigars is that they are the most intricate in-exact science known to man...

Don't worry, damp salt and a air tight container should read 75% when temps are as close to 70 degrees as possible
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    This is kind of unrelated...but the salt test has bugged me from day 1. The theory is to wet the salt, but don't over wet it...I HATE instructions like this...I am an engineer! I want to hear something like 1 cap full of salt and 1/2 cap of water...or at least something more specific than wet the salt, but not too wet...I can never be totally sure of my test, because "wet, but not too wet..." is a relative measurement! WTF!!!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ok. i get it.

just for you:
    3 parts salt and 1 part water.

this should give you that salt "paste" we are looking for.
    If, after 16 hours, my hygrometer has not moved a bit... is that a good sign that the thing isn't working quite right? Did the ziplock bag first, a good bit of air inside. Apparently my state doesn't sell Snapple or anything with a metal lid anymore, so I just put the salt/distilled water in a metal tablespoon. Not sure if that could be an issue. Trying it again now in a lid from a cold Starbucks carmel drink, which is metal but has a bit of plastic lining in it... it was the closest thing to a metal lid I could find after trying four stores (and the most expensive, jeez, and I don't even like drinking that crap- four dollars for one sip and a lid). This time in a square tupperware container.
    Started over this morning at about 4am with the starbucks lid in the tupperware. She was sitting at 70 when I left for work around 9:30. Fingers crossed.