Home General Discussion

Pectin

Does anyone know where I can get some pectin? I've got this smoke thats unraveling and I would return it to the place that I bought it from but I really dont wanna deal with that sites customer service (guesses anyone?)

Comments

• brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    I haven't picked any up but I've been told you can get it at the grocery store or even Wal-Mart in the section with the canning supplies.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yup. most super markets still have it.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Ok cool thanx!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Make sure you buy unflavored fruit pectin...wouldn't want those cigars tasting funny.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    smbrink:
    Does anyone know where I can get some pectin? I've got this smoke thats unraveling and I would return it to the place that I bought it from but I really dont wanna deal with that sites customer service (guesses anyone?)

You should do a search on E-bay. There was a person on there a few months ago selling little bottles of "Cigar glue" for lack of a better term. I don't know if it was Pectin or (I can't think of the proper name for it) the actual substance which is normally used. Apparently (at least I have read ) this stuff is made from the bark or some similar part of a certain tree, which is grown (probably among other places) in Canada. The bottles were not that expensive ($5 or 6) considering it would last a long long time. Hope that helps.
    laker1963:
    smbrink:

You should do a search on E-bay. There was a person on there a few months ago selling little bottles of "Cigar glue" for lack of a better term. I don't know if it was Pectin or (I can't think of the proper name for it) the actual substance which is normally used. Apparently (at least I have read ) this stuff is made from the bark or some similar part of a certain tree, which is grown (probably among other places) in Canada. The bottles were not that expensive ($5 or 6) considering it would last a long long time. Hope that helps.
    Wouldn't it just be cheaper and faster to drop by the grocery store?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    brc81:
    laker1963:
    smbrink:

It would if you were settling for Pectin and not looking for the real stuff. Someone before has already mentioned Pectin and where to get it. I was pointing him in the direction of something a little different.
    laker1963:
    brc81:
    laker1963:
    smbrink:

It would if you were settling for Pectin and not looking for the real stuff. Someone before has already mentioned Pectin and where to get it. I was pointing him in the direction of something a little different.
    Ah.
    I found this in my musings inspired from this thread.

Mythology has long accused cigar makers of twirling cigars in their mouth, using saliva to secure the head, and there is evidence to give credence to the legend. Certainly early cigar rollers, especially those making cigars for their own consumption, did exactly that. But by the time cigar production became factory-centered in the first half of the 1800’s, the heads of cigars were almost universally held in place by gum tragacanth bled from the tap root of Iranian loco-weed and dried. Tragacanth is odorless and tasteless and when added to water becomes a gel used in foods, art, medicine, cosmetics and cloth manufacture as a stiffener, binder, thickener and glue. The cigar industry used it as a paste for two centuries. Trade relations with the middle-East have always been volatile and so has the price of the gum. That’s why this 1885 ad warns that prices are subject to change. Today, because of worsening relations with the middle-east and the ability to cultivate other gums in the western hemisphere, gum tragacanth has largely been replaced in most U.S. commercial applications. In Latin countries, stickum of various types goes by the generic goma.

from Tony Hyman with the help of retired cigar maker, Bob Frutiger
    MCAG
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Interesting research.
    So I finally found time to play doctor today....and....well...its not lookin too pretty boys. In fact it still looks pretty jacked but ill probably bust out with it in a couple weeks and see whats up.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I've got an oliva serie v that is crackin all over the place.... I guess I'll have to try to smoke it soon before it's totally ruined...
    Yeah that would be a bad one to waste.
  • brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    smbrink:
    So I finally found time to play doctor today....and....well...its not lookin too pretty boys. In fact it still looks pretty jacked but ill probably bust out with it in a couple weeks and see whats up.
    How did this ever turn out? I've got a couple that need work. :(
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    ive fixed cigars with pectin before, it works very well. didnt affect the burn rate at all. just as a test I slathered it on real thick on a test cigar, it still smoked fine.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I once had to carve a relief out of a rectangle of Pectin in High School art...

I made a bear but it looked like a deer and then dyed it all black with indian ink... I threw it out after I got a "C" on it
    Lasabar:

I made a bear but it looked like a deer and then dyed it all black with indian ink... I threw it out after I got a "C" on it
    this is the best story of mediocrity that i have heard in a while.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Lasabar:

You should have used it on cigars ans smoked it.
  • aaronjmaaronjm Posts: 12 ✭✭
    I got some pectin and used it on a cigar a couple of days ago for the first time. I had a friend at my B&M help me. He made a paste very similar to the kind when you do the hygrometer calibration with salt and distilled water. It worked great. You'd never know something was wrong with the wrapper.