Home Cigar 101

In or Out of Wrapper

When storing cigars in your humidor does it make a difference if plastic wrapper is still on?

I have see quite q few pictures of other folks stash and in some of them they still have the plastic wrapper on the stick.

Comments

• Well I think I answered my own question by finding a thread that involved a discussion on in the cello or out / pros and cons.

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This is always good news :) The forum answer is it does not matter, cello or not.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I remove it for cigars going in my desktop because it looks better. For my tupperdor or ziploc it stays on because I don't care what those look like and to protect wrapper. Any impacts to aging or flavor are beyond the capacity of my taste buds so that's not an issue for me.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    If it comes with a cello leave it if not then its already off lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Lee.mcglynn:
    If it comes with a cello leave it if not then its already off lol
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Leave it in the cello; mold doesn't penetrate cello (ask me how I know)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Arebias:
    Well I think I answered my own question by finding a thread that involved a discussion on in the cello or out / pros and cons.
    favorite new guy ever.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Arebias:
    Well I think I answered my own question by finding a thread that involved a discussion on in the cello or out / pros and cons.
    favorite new guy ever.
    agreed
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Arebias:
    favorite new guy ever.
    By my math on his post times, and not counting the time it took to write the second post, it looks like he did it in less than 9 minutes as well. The force is strong with this one.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • I would have been 100% if I had searched first ... But then I would not have had the excuse to register and post thereby becoming one of the elite! Thanks for all the answers. I decided to remove the cello from my everyday smokes in one humidor and leave the cello on any high dollar sticks I might be able to buy in the future. I have my eye on a really sweet humidor that hold 200, 7 slide out drawers, a glass front, and a external analog hygrometer. I get that and I will once again be broke..
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Arebias:
    favorite new guy ever.
    By my math on his post times, and not counting the time it took to write the second post, it looks like he did it in less than 9 minutes as well. The force is strong with this one.
    and he's got a Floyd quote for his sig...
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Couple of things I learned along the way. #1 Cello on protects from mold. #2 Cello on ages slower. The first one I got from experience. The second one I got from reading an article by Alex in one of the Ccom catalogues. I tested it with a couple of sticks and it does seem to be true.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    Arebias:
    favorite new guy ever.
    and he's got a Floyd quote for his sig...
    Sign him up. He offically in the club. I love how he passes on all the 20 -50 ct. humis and shoots right for the 200 ct. Very nicely done.
  • Well I kind of went completely out of control this evening on that Cigar Sprint Sale. Now I really do have to break out the CC for that new Humi. All in all I purchased: 5 Vegas Collected Works - 16 Cigars Untouchable Ten Sampler 10 Cigars Cohiba Robusto 5 Cigars Cohiba Black Robusto 5 Cigars Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve 5 Cigars The Internet is Bad!!! Real Bad! .
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arebias:
    Well I kind of went completely out of control this evening on that Cigar Sprint Sale. Now I really do have to break out the CC for that new Humi. All in all I purchased: 5 Vegas Collected Works - 16 Cigars Untouchable Ten Sampler 10 Cigars Cohiba Robusto 5 Cigars Cohiba Black Robusto 5 Cigars Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve 5 Cigars The Internet is Bad!!! Real Bad! .
    Bwahahahahaha! You're in deep, there's no going back.........
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Roberto99:
    #1 Cello on protects from mold.
    this is not true. the spores for mold live in and around the cigar. the spores are all over the factory. cellophane does not prevent the spores. those spores become active and become visible mold when the correct conditions come into play. (higher humidity)
    Roberto99:
    #2 Cello on ages slower. ... The second one I got from reading an article by Alex in one of the Ccom catalogues. I tested it with a couple of sticks and it does seem to be true.
    how long was your test? if it was anything less than 5 years i dont think there would be any noticeable difference to even some of the most well trained and discriminating palates. I do agree that cellophane slows down the aging process slightly but it is such a little difference that we have to be talking some serious time before it would really matter.

what really slows down age is when cigars are in sealed tubes. the lack of air exchange keeps the process slow.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    kuzi16:
    Roberto99:
    #1 Cello on protects from mold.
    this is not true. the spores for mold live in and around the cigar. the spores are all over the factory. cellophane does not prevent the spores. those spores become active and become visible mold when the correct conditions come into play. (higher humidity)
    Roberto99:
    #2 Cello on ages slower. ... The second one I got from reading an article by Alex in one of the Ccom catalogues. I tested it with a couple of sticks and it does seem to be true.
    how long was your test? if it was anything less than 5 years i dont think there would be any noticeable difference to even some of the most well trained and discriminating palates. I do agree that cellophane slows down the aging process slightly but it is such a little difference that we have to be talking some serious time before it would really matter.

what really slows down age is when cigars are in sealed tubes. the lack of air exchange keeps the process slow.
    Well I do understand what you are saying, I can see on a regular basis in my refrigerator there are mold spores everywhere :-) but that does not change my experience. In my instance the cigars I had in cello were all protected from mold bloom where all of the cigars that were not in cello had mold on them.

My test was only for 1 year and I did taste a difference. I'm certainly not cigar aficionado status however and if I did this test with a bunch of cigars maybe I would agree with you that I cannot tell the difference between cigars stored in cello vs out but I'm just passing along what I read and experienced.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I've never see a cigar with cellophane have mold unless a cedar wrap was involved. I've seen plenty of cigars right next to moldy ones not get it because of the cello in a higher rh environment. Why? Don't know.... But it seems they are a lot less likely to get mold with cello on.
    the taste and slower aging issues is far to subjective to make a concrete argument about. sometimes having expectations changes the taste of a cigar so experiments in that are very difficult to quantify.

all i am really saying with the cellophane/mold thing is do not expect to never get mold if you keep the cellophane on. mold is a real concern even with cellophane on. if you keep up on your humidor correctly then cellophane or not you shouldnt get mold.
  • WaterDemonWaterDemon Posts: 269
    Yea I can't notice a chenge of an aged cigar with or with cello. I did a test with some MX2's. Both aged great and tasted the same(slightly better then when I bought them with about a year of age). I'll keep them going though, maybe they'll start to get away from eachother...
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Arebias:
    Well I kind of went completely out of control this evening on that Cigar Sprint Sale. Now I really do have to break out the CC for that new Humi. All in all I purchased: 5 Vegas Collected Works - 16 Cigars Untouchable Ten Sampler 10 Cigars Cohiba Robusto 5 Cigars Cohiba Black Robusto 5 Cigars Romeo Y Julieta Habana Reserve 5 Cigars The Internet is Bad!!! Real Bad! .
    Bwahahahahaha! You're in deep, there's no going back.........
    lmao this is why I stopped looking!!!!! Being to dang compulsive it was killing me slowly
    Money can't buy taste

• Well I am still looking just to get an idea of what percentage to shoot for next time I go on a buying spree. I did find a better Humidor that is like a piece of furniture and hold 500 sticks. Not very expensive either. I will have to save but I really think I want that one.

I settled for a 125 count with glass so I can see the digital hygro. Oh and my wife received the news as delicately as I could ease into the final total. At every step of the way I had justification for the purchase. I either made her a believer or she is to tired to kick my @#ss!

We will see what happens tomorrow. I over nighted that Humidor so I could have a head start on seasoning. If UPS doesn't drop the ball like last time (my over night was 5 days) I should be applying the distilled water tomorrow night. I need that digital hygrometer to keep tabs on the 75 count I have sitting over here with a analog. I calibrated with salt and water but I still have suspicions. I only have a few good smokes in there. The rest are bundled deal, Don Lugo, or El Arista Bambino.