Home Cigar 101

This noob has some questions!

So cigars aren't really my thing, I've always rolled blunts with them but I was checking out this website and I'm starting to like what I see. I've learned a lot just clicking around. I don't think I've technically tried a cigar. I've had many machine made rillos before though. What type of cigar do you think I should get to start out with? Or should I just buy a sampler. I plan of definitely investing in a humi soon and starting a collection. Got any ideas?

Comments

• edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    Go get yourself a sampler and try out as many different cigars as you can. Most noobs tend to start liking mild cigars first before moving up to a medium or full body smoke. When I first started smoking though I was instantly addicted to full body smokes. It's now a few years later that i'm appreciating a medium and mild. So the moral of this story is keep trying different smokes until you realize what your palate likes and then stick with that... Enjoy...
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id recomend a sampler. A great way to figure out what you like is the house blend sampler. And if flavored cigars are your thing, then check out the acid sampler or CAO flavors.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    definitely go with a sampler .start with something knida mildi started with some park avenues,sancho panzas, if you check out the site they have alot good starter samplers
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• Thanks man. Ill do that. What are infused cigars? I saw some that supposedly had coffee In it?
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Zeuskush:
    So cigars aren't really my thing, I've always rolled blunts with them but I was checking out this website and I'm starting to like what I see. I've learned a lot just clicking around. I don't think I've technically tried a cigar. I've had many machine made rillos before though. What type of cigar do you think I should get to start out with? Or should I just buy a sampler. I plan of definitely investing in a humi soon and starting a collection. Got any ideas?
    Think of it this way... Phillies, Swishers,etc..., are like mexican brick... What we smoke is like CA Indica. Samplers are a great way. It is best to buy no more then two cigars of any kind to determine if you like them at first. Pay attention to the different wrappers, do not buy into ratings, do not inhale, and do not count out a cigar if you do not like it the first time. Most newer smokers start with Connecticut's and mild-medium smokes. Cigar.com has great awards samplers based on profiles I would suggest. I always say the Avo Take 5 sampler as it is mild-med in general and gives you four different wrappers to experience. Padron and Fuente have been around forever and many newer and veteran smokers enjoy their profiles, while they are on the cheaper side. Never hesitate to ask questions or use the search function for information. There is a wealth of knowledge here.
    Also, do not hesitate to email a rep and ask them to put something together for you. AndyD@cigar.com will get you squared away quick. All of the sales people are wonderful on the phone as well and provide the utmost experience and customer service.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All great advice. But this probably sticks out to me the most ...
    catfishbluezz:
    It is best to buy no more then two cigars of any kind to determine if you like them at first. Pay attention to the different wrappers, do not buy into ratings, do not inhale, and do not count out a cigar if you do not like it the first time.
    If you're looking for some budget-conscious sticks to start with - look at the Cigar.com House Blends samplers. Good, well priced sticks and it's a nice (and cheap) way to try a bunch of different wrappers which will give you a better idea of what you do/don't like.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Also, do not hesitate to email a rep and ask them to put something together for you. AndyD@cigar.com will get you squared away quick. All of the sales people are wonderful on the phone as well and provide the utmost experience and customer service.
    i had no idea you could do this.....this is news i can use.
    brianetz1:
    catfishbluezz:
    i had no idea you could do this.....this is news i can use.
    Andy works Mon-Fri until 5PM EST most times. Email him direct, and he will be more then happy to work out a custom sampler at a discount for you.
  • See? Everyone just needs to smoke weather it's a fat cigar or a fat bowl, it's just makes people friendly haha. I love this forum. Next pay day I'm absolutely getting some samplers. If I've been smoking brown schwag then I want some high dollar dro xD haha. How are 5 Vegas golds?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Zeuskush:
    See? Everyone just needs to smoke weather it's a fat cigar or a fat bowl, it's just makes people friendly haha. I love this forum. Next pay day I'm absolutely getting some samplers. If I've been smoking brown schwag then I want some high dollar dro xD haha. How are 5 Vegas golds?
    Mild, but that might not be a terrible thing to start. I'd recommend getting a couple gold and a couple gold maduro for a good comparison to see if you like maduro wrappers. If you want a step up in strength, the 5 Vegas Classic is a great, consistent smoke.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    There's a great 5 Vegas Sampler selection on the site. Wide variety. Call or email a rep. Don't be shy.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    beatnic:
    There's a great 5 Vegas Sampler selection on the site. Wide variety. Call or email a rep. Don't be shy.
    That's where I started a few of years ago. Really liked the Classic and the 'A' in the sampler.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I would call/email the ccom staff and tell them that you are new and looking to get into cigars. They'll be able to get you set up from the ground up with a nice intro sampler, humi or whatever else you need.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tell you, that cigar.com house blend sampler is hard to beat. A bit of everything and mostly done well at a fair price.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Gino USMCGino USMC Posts: 127
    Rhamlin:
    Id recomend a sampler. A great way to figure out what you like is the house blend sampler. And if flavored cigars are your thing, then check out the acid sampler or CAO flavors.
    I second that. I went through an Acid phase. I got the sampler from them and some are too sweet and some are pretty good. I also got the house blend sampler and the connoisseurs sampler. Both good mix.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I am currently trying everything I can get my hands on by Drew Estates