Home Cigar 101

Inconsistent Hygrometers

bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
About the last 6 months or so I've been noticing frequent burn problems with my smokes once they get to about the halfway point. My hygrometer is a hygroset and I can never get it to stay at 65% (using 65% beads). Since I have a tupperdor as well that doesn't have a hygro in it I recently ordered a Xikar hygro.

I calibrated the Xikar and replaced batteries in the other and ran the salt test. With both of them in the same tupperware they both rang up 75% after 24-36 hours.

I placed the Xikar in my desktop and it reads dead on 65% which is great. However, when I place the hygroset back in there it goes down to 61-62%. The difference shows in my tupperdor as well. The Xikar will read about 75% while the other reads 72% (trying to get that down since it's a tad high). It's not really enough to panic about, but has anyone seen this kind of inconsistency?

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    LOL....I literally just put three next to each other to check them... I was wondering why my wineador said 62 on top and 69 on bottom, yet last week was 64-65 on both... i changed which hygro's I had in there. I trust the Xikar's round ones honestly. I'll check them in an hour or so.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I was wondering why my wineador said 62 on top and 69 on bottom
    that is strange... i mean if there was gunna be variation it should be a higher Rh on top. im gunna get another hygro soon (maybe two) and this thread is making me think twice on brand.

im gunna have to research a bit more.

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    that is strange... i mean if there was gunna be variation it should be a higher Rh on top. im gunna get another hygro soon (maybe two) and this thread is making me think twice on brand.

Me too, I can't afford a really expensive digital, but I need to get a better hygrometer. I'm using bags and pillows for most of my smokes, but I have a small desktop humidor. The volume is so small, it's really easy to over-humidify, and I worry the analog I have in there can't keep up.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    kuzi16:
    catfishbluezz:
    I was wondering why my wineador said 62 on top and 69 on bottom

Humidity falls IMO, but I attribute it to inconsistent hygro's and am testing them as we speak. In larger humidors and coolers, I've found it best to have humidity devices higher as rh will drop to the bottom. Still I keep devices everywhere for even distribution. Wetter beads up top, dry beads at the bottom.

Scientifically, it comes down to the temperature of environemtn. In a wineador, it will always fall with the condensation as temperature is decreasing. In a humi, it may rise if temps are rising. Most humi's put it on top, then you got guys arguing the molecules are lighter then air so they rise-think cloud. It's a weird subject, and I've heard scientific arguments for both cases, including the molecule weight, temp, condensation, etc... IMO, it comes down to a relationship with temperature. From my experience, i always get higher rh lower in humi's, coolers, and wineador. Then again...it may just be where i live.
    LOL....66, 64, 61...... No wonder! Probably had the low one on top and the high one on bottom, then reversed them LOL
    catfishbluezz:
    Humidity falls IMO, but I attribute it to inconsistent hygro's and am testing them as we speak. In larger humidors and coolers, I've found it best to have humidity devices higher as rh will drop to the bottom. Still I keep devices everywhere for even distribution. Wetter beads up top, dry beads at the bottom.

Scientifically, it comes down to the temperature of environemtn. In a wineador, it will always fall with the condensation as temperature is decreasing. In a humi, it may rise if temps are rising. Most humi's put it on top, then you got guys arguing the molecules are lighter then air so they rise-think cloud. It's a weird subject, and I've heard scientific arguments for both cases, including the molecule weight, temp, condensation, etc... IMO, it comes down to a relationship with temperature. From my experience, i always get higher rh lower in humi's, coolers, and wineador. Then again...it may just be where i live.
    i mean, either way, if humidity rises or falls, there should be little to no difference over the space of a foot or so. unless this thing is several feet tall it shouldnt be more than a point or so; epecially if there is a fan in there. that will even out humidity quite a bit more.
    personally i believe that humidity rises. im all about the scientific atomic weight/density thing (See this thread).
    BUT, like you said, this isnt a humidity issue it is a hygrometer issue. i really want to know the results of your tests. i am leaning to Xikar hygrometers either way.
    Yeah, the two other hyrgo's are the same brand and they are 5rh apart lol.... I'm probably going to buy another Xikar tonight. I've heard the weight thing before, then a counterargument that the actual molecules bond; thus, making them heavier as in 2 is heavier then 1... It's a funny debate, and I'm not a scientist...well...not in that regard, I do have a BS lol. The best explanation I got form a scientist friend was none at all, and pointed more towards dew point and the relationship of temperature, making it ever changing to a degree. Since hte three read, 61, 64, and 66 in the exact same spot, the two that are five apart were on top and bottom. So when the 61 was at the top, really it should be about 64, and the 69 on bottom, really about 65-66, which is much more consistent, given the unit has two fans. I put just the Xikar in, and it reads 64-65 in any place.
    catfishbluezz:
    I put just the Xikar in, and it reads 64-65 in any place.
    i have a feeling this is how most if not all storage units are from top to bottom. there just isnt enough room for a large variance.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    So, if the rh at the top is higher than the bottom, and the rh keeps rising, it could rain in your humidor?LOL
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a hygroset and chucked it in the trash after less then a month...biggest waste of money!! Personally IMO you should learn how your cigars feel when at preffered rh...squeeze them and find out how much give they have. At least then you don't have to really worry too much about your hygro being off
    Money can't buy taste