Home Cigar 101

Tubed Cigars

When storing tubed cigars in you humidor, it is best to take the cigars out of their tubes or just put the tube along with cigar inside of tube into the humidor for storage?

Thanks

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Welcome to the forums!
    After having a few in tubes and coffins end up moldy, I always take them out.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    like steve, I vote to take it out of the tubes. or at a minimum, you should at least take the cap off. if it's a coffin, crack open the coffin a little. or. smoke em.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    jliu:
    like steve, I vote to take it out of the tubes. or at a minimum, you should at least take the cap off. if it's a coffin, crack open the coffin a little. or. smoke em.
    Fire those bad boys up!

But seriously, there's no advantage to keeping them cooped up. Save the tubos if you want to use them to transport the cigars later.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always take them out. 1 I like to see my cigars .2 they can breed mold. Same thing goes for cedar sleeves.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the manufacturer put them in there for a reason. i leave them in there.

the mold thing has never happened to me. my humidor is well regulated and always a touch below 70%. 68% Rh has treated me well.

this question of keeping cigars in the tubes or not is a lot liked the cellophane question: it is all personal preference.

the one thing about keeping the cigars in the tube is that it cuts off air flow. this slows down age. some want to age faster but i feel that a slower aged cigar is better in the long run. it will give more time for the oils to marry before they begin to break down.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I leave mine in the bottom of the tube with the top off, but I always inspect them for mold as I remember getting 2 RyJ ELs with mold on them last year. I agree with Kuzi that they shipped them that way and they should be kept that way, similar to cedar wrapped smokes...just cigars with cedar and tubos, I would keep a close eye on them when they arrive.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    The only time Ive ever see mold in my humi's is with tubos and cedar sleeves, so I pull them. I don't expect to have them decades where the tube might make a difference. However, I love tubos for taking sticks around. I actually found one in my truck today, probably 2-3 weeks old. Uncapped it and the cigar was still fresh and smoked perfect! That probably wouldn't happen in summer, but either way it kept humidity inside. I have a drawer with a bunch of different sizes when I go out so I can put cigars in them.
    catfishbluezz:
    The only time Ive ever see mold in my humi's is with tubos and cedar sleeves, so I pull them. I don't expect to have them decades where the tube might make a difference.
    thats where we differ. i have a few tubes with about 8 years on them already. so it does make a difference to me. i have never seen mold on any tubes or cedar sleeves that i have had. dont know what to tell you.
    catfishbluezz:
    However, I love tubos for taking sticks around. I actually found one in my truck today, probably 2-3 weeks old. Uncapped it and the cigar was still fresh and smoked perfect! That probably wouldn't happen in summer, but either way it kept humidity inside. I have a drawer with a bunch of different sizes when I go out so I can put cigars in them.
    this, in my opinion, it the BEST reason to buy cigars in tubes.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    catfishbluezz:
    The only time Ive ever see mold in my humi's is with tubos and cedar sleeves, so I pull them. I don't expect to have them decades where the tube might make a difference.
    thats where we differ. i have a few tubes with about 8 years on them already. so it does make a difference to me. i have never seen mold on any tubes or cedar sleeves that i have had. dont know what to tell you.
    catfishbluezz:
    However, I love tubos for taking sticks around. I actually found one in my truck today, probably 2-3 weeks old. Uncapped it and the cigar was still fresh and smoked perfect! That probably wouldn't happen in summer, but either way it kept humidity inside. I have a drawer with a bunch of different sizes when I go out so I can put cigars in them.
    this, in my opinion, it the BEST reason to buy cigars in tubes.
    I'm 99% sure it is due to where I bought them really, or got them in trades. However, I brought this point up with a well known manufacturer. They swore that rh was the cause and proper storage would never lead to it. Then they sent me cigars...and they were moldy...told ya so was in order. My personal opinion, is that the sleeve being so close to the cigar can absorb moisture and create a more humid environment for mold to grow. We don't have hygrometers in tubo's, so we do not know what rh is really in there. I can tell you without a doubt, I haven't run my humi's higher then 65 for quite some time, and still found mold on sleeves or tubes on several occasions, while nothing else had it.

no doubt that you have kept up on your humis at all. i suspect that you are correct that it was from the source. i have heard that suspicion before, but almost exclusevly with OpusX. since i am very particular on where i get my OpusX i have not seen that issue either. (i dont just buy them anywhere!) i refuse to buy cigars from a humidor if i cannot see the whole cigar and the RH is out of the 65%-70% range.
    if i can see the entire cigar i refuse to buy if the humidor is out of the 63- 72% range.
    it may sound a bit crazy but this attention to detail may also be the reason why i have never seen the problem being discussed here.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I leave mine in the bottom of the tube with the top off, but I always inspect them for mold as I remember getting 2 RyJ ELs with mold on them last year. I agree with Kuzi that they shipped them that way and they should be kept that way, similar to cedar wrapped smokes...just cigars with cedar and tubos, I would keep a close eye on them when they arrive.
    I also had this problem with the RYJ from a ccom sampler about a year ago. Received it that way. Inspected it when I got it because of reading on here that such a problem existed.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Roberto99:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I also had this problem with the RYJ from a ccom sampler about a year ago. Received it that way. Inspected it when I got it because of reading on here that such a problem existed.
    I had the same problem with prob the same RyJ. My mold problems usually occur with tubos with cedar inside.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    the one thing about keeping the cigars in the tube is that it cuts off air flow. this slows down age. some want to age faster but i feel that a slower aged cigar is better in the long run. it will give more time for the oils to marry before they begin to break down.
    Okay, I can grok the oils marrying part ... but what do you mean by break down?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost:
    kuzi16:
    Okay, I can grok the oils marrying part ... but what do you mean by break down?

cigars are a natural product made from natural materials. as soon as you pick a leaf, regardless of if it is a tobacco leaf or not, it begins to break down, decompose, ferment, go back to the earth.

just because the cigar is in your humidor does not mean that this process is not happening. it is just happening slowly.

this isnt really a bad thing. its one of the ways a cigar ages. the oils in the leaf break down. this makes the cigar lose power and spice. this is how a cigar gets over aged. the oils break down past the point of where they are adding something good.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The only mold I've ever had is in those very same RyJ tubos from last year. Horrible quality control when an entire stock becomes famous for mold.

I can understand the theory of tubes or cedar sleeves producing an environment for mold. Because of this I have taken all the cedar sleeves of all my Fuentes (since they seem to be the worst offenders) and I check on my tubed cigars periodically (but still leave them in the tube).

The one thing that doesn't make sense to me is the issue with coffins. They are made out of wood, just like a cigar box so what is the difference between keeping cigars in their box for aging and keeping cigars in their coffins? Nothing...as far as I can tell. I keep my cigars in their coffins and after years of smoking cigars I've never had an issue with any of this stuff except for the one batch of RyJ's.