Home Pipes

have two...

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
Cheap pipes, called haojue hg-685. What do I need now?

Comments

• HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Pipe baccy, cleaning thingys and a chezk tool or however they spell it
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Hayblet:
    10-4 ghost rider
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Hayblet:
    10-4 ghost rider
    probably some long wooden matches,my son says they are better for pipes then jet lighters
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    deejmemixx:
    Hayblet:
    10-4 ghost rider
    probably some long wooden matches,my son says they are better for pipes then jet lighters
    agreed, never use a torch to light a pipe, Xikar (and other's I'm sure) make a fantastic pipe lighter with an angled soft flame, and it works good on cigars too
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hayblet:
    twistedstem:
    deejmemixx:
    Hayblet:
    10-4 ghost rider
    agreed, never use a torch to light a pipe, Xikar (and other's I'm sure) make a fantastic pipe lighter with an angled soft flame, and it works good on cigars too
    I think the "no torch" is urban legend, however, care must be used. Watch "The Frank Method" on you-tube, you'll note he's using a torch.
    This came up concerning cigars recently at my house. My friends girlfriends brothers friend told her "never use a lighter on a cigar, only wooden matches". I asked her what kind of cigars he smokes. "good ones, come in a yellow box, grenaders or something like that"
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    From a tobacconists point of view, and discussing this matter with other such individuals, I would highly suggest against using any sort of torch lighter on your pipe. I have seen one to many times people burning holes right through the briar, plus the flames temperature is far to high for the tobacco itself, one will lose flavor and over burn the tobacco leaving that hot acrid flavor behind, also it will deter the proper buildup of cake. Honestly, matches are the best, short, long, whatever, they are by far the best...in my honest opinion. In any case, soft flame lighters are just fine as well, I actually find myself using a bic from time to time when I am desperate. Just my two cents here.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    slamb@cigar.com:
    From a tobacconists point of view, and discussing this matter with other such individuals, I would highly suggest against using any sort of torch lighter on your pipe. I have seen one to many times people burning holes right through the briar, plus the flames temperature is far to high for the tobacco itself, one will lose flavor and over burn the tobacco leaving that hot acrid flavor behind, also it will deter the proper buildup of cake. Honestly, matches are the best, short, long, whatever, they are by far the best...in my honest opinion. In any case, soft flame lighters are just fine as well, I actually find myself using a bic from time to time when I am desperate. Just my two cents here.

1+ Frank might be using the torch but he warns us not to hold it too long. I would avoid it at all costs. I personally prefer a soft flame on my cigars too but with the briar or a meer. it is just too risky.
    J.S.:
    slamb@cigar.com:
    1+ Frank might be using the torch but he warns us not to hold it too long. I would avoid it at all costs. I personally prefer a soft flame on my cigars too but with the briar or a meer. it is just too risky.
    Hmm, burning holes through your briar, scorching your tobacco, I guess you guys better stay away from the torch. Lol.

Seriously, though, that's why I referred to the Frank video, how to avoid those things. Also, that's why I started the pipe tips for cigar guys thread. I bought my first pipe, and smoked my first cigars, in 1971. After 40+ years, you forget what folks don't know. You're absolutely right, extreme caution must be used if you're going to use a torch with your pipe, which I'll be doing in about 30 minutes here, once the coffee kicks in.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed the frank video too, he is very careful to explain "1 second with the lighter, and stop!" But i still went ahead and got a soft flame lighter (zippo has cool pipe lighters too, great for outside)

Lolol! AyC Grenadiers are what got me into cigars!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    I noticed the frank video too, he is very careful to explain "1 second with the lighter, and stop!" But i still went ahead and got a soft flame lighter (zippo has cool pipe lighters too, great for outside)

Lolol! AyC Grenadiers are what got me into cigars!
    I was kind of poking fun at myself, I smoked Grenadiers for many years before someone introduced me to better cigars. I got to thinking about the lighter thing, I do use a torch for the initial light, at home, but keep a soft flame lighter in the car. No control bumping down the roads. Also, if I'm deep in and relight I'm much more likely to use a Bic. My whole point was just there's right and wrong ways, more than right or wrong tools.