Home Cigar 101

coolidor issues pls help

puffmasterpuffmaster Posts: 254 ✭✭
Bought a cooler and cleaned with mild detergent bought a new spray bottle new sponge fish tank nets, odorless esquisicat and a gallon of distilled water. I put the sponge in a bowl and poured some water over it and placed the bowl with a little excess water and sponge in the cooler. Toolk the litter and put about a pound in the bag and then sprayed about 3 sprits all over. Spun it 3 more placed all in cooler with brand new hygrometer. waited 48 hrs checked it and it was around 80 SO I added 3 torano maduro boxes cracked open wedged by a ceder block into the cooler with water bowl and litter. Waited 24 hrs checked it and was around 58 so I sprayed litter bag again. Placed back in and took water dish out. Still is low.... SO before work I threw water dish back in so what to do??

#DE4L #StillPuffin

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I would have probably put the boxes themselves in first empty with your cigars in a ziploc, once they stabilize with the boxes and beads then i would add the cigars. After work it might be higher, so you might be fine...just as long as they dont sit in the mid 50s for too long.
  • biodarwinbiodarwin Posts: 265 ✭✭
    How big is your cooler? Seasoning a coolidor is a bit different than a humidor. Even though your Rh was 80%, the KL had not absorbed enough to keep it stabilized at that RH level when opened. Coolers do a better job of sealing and keeping RH in so it will need to run higher for longer when compared to seasoning a normal humidor.

Adding 3 boxes right away might be an issue as well. Adding cigars can either raise or lower your humidty. With the cedar boxes you have an extra RH buffer which can absorb the humidity. I found once I got my coolidor to 60 it was a lot easier to stabilize from there on out. I would go ahead and spritz the kitty litter and check back every 12 hours. Spritz until it holds where you want it too.

• puffmasterpuffmaster Posts: 254 ✭✭
    should i lay it out of the bag spray it then put it in the bag since its the first time and its 48 qts

#DE4L #StillPuffin

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Coolers don't need to be seasoned unless you lined it!! Season the boxes you have if they are not in the rh you want. Then add cigars...if it doesn't stabalizer then you don't have the right mix of water and kl. personally I don't have the time and patience to use kl and I would rather buy some boveda packs and beads and not have to worry!! And just a question but why did you crack the lid open??
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You are just seasoning boxes. I used to take a box, wipe it down, and set it in there with the dry boxes. They would soak it up in a few hours an rh would jump. I never used a sponge, had three coolers at one time. Every time I put a new box in, I would just put some cedar planks, from broke down boxes, in I wiped and it would soak it up. Doesn't take much to season a cooler as there is no cedar.
    Im not seasoning more getting the kitty litter to hold rh was just testing what would happen adding boxes instead of cigars

#DE4L #StillPuffin

You shouldn't need to season the KL, just toss the boxes in there, wipe one down a bit, and put KL in there. It will hold and come up. Might take a day or two. I took a box, broke it down into slabs, and would wipe then and place them in the cooler. That worked just fine.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    you have a good seal on the lid?
    What's the kl rh out the box?

#DE4L #StillPuffin

KL is about 55 out of the box, thats why it really needs no training.
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    You have a white cooler?