Home Pipes

Newb tobacco reccomendations

lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
I am new to the pipe world and honestly not too sure if I want to continue. I have all of the supplies and have tried several different blends but am having a hard time getting into it. I am slowly getting better at packing and lighting but the tongue bite still seems to be a problem more often than not. I think part of my problem is I have been trying to find a “cigar like” experience from the pipe instead of learning what the pipe is about on its own. I haven’t touched the pipe in a couple of months and would like to give it another go. I am looking for some newb friendly tobacco recommendations from some of you guys that know what you’re doing. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Start Lite! I will tell you now--and I think you have grasped this concept--pipes take patience! It is not like a cigar in the least, there is a ritual about smoking a pipe from packing, to lighting, to smoking, and it will take time until you get the hang of it. The tongue bite will dissipate in no time, but you have to keep smoking. Start with a light blend; an aromatic perhaps. Honestly Captain Black Gold is a perfect starter tobacco (and still one of my favorites). Also, a lot of the Peter Stokkebyes are a good way to start, like the Golden Dansk, or Lanes Burley with out the Bite. Stay away from the flake tobaccos until you really get the grasp of smoking a pipe, these will be more robust generally, and will give you a slight tongue bite if you are not used to it. If you are looking for something that is going to be reminiscent to that of a cigar, McClelland makes what is called Dominican Glory, this is actually made with Dominican cigar tobaccos. Now, if you do like a more robust smoke and you want to push through and go straight for the English Blends, McClelland’s Frog on the Town is really nice. Hang in there, the sooner you realize that this will be nothing like smoking a cigar and take it for what it is, the sooner you will be able to really enjoy the smoke, and get lost in the wistful nuances of pipe smoking.
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Thank you for the tips and suggestions!
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the Captain Black Royal, nice gentle morning smoke, like the Gold, but more "chocolate". Are you taking your time? using your tamper? did you break in your pipe? what kind of pipe are you using? does it have a filter, and do you use it? (I don't)

I remember when I started smoking a pipe, someone I knew smoked Middleton's Cherry Blend. It smelled soooo great! I had to try it. Burned the crap out of my tongue! I hated it. I ended up smoking Sir Walter Raleigh and Douwe-Egberts Amphora, and Sail. I would also smoke Flying Dutchman, but cut it with Sail to avoid the "bite". Of those, Sail is the only one I know of that's still available. SWR may be, but I haven't really looked.

Take your time, shop around, there are a world of different experiences based on many many variables. If you like cigars, you'll probably find something in the pipe world that suits you. Of course, you may not, but do a little homework to be sure before you give up.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Tongue bite can usually be avoided or lessened by smoking slowly. I don't like the briar to get more then a little warm. It takes time and you will have to relight often until you get the pack and the pace down. I also find that unlike a cigar where I get large plumbs of smoke, that with a pipe keeping it smoldering to were a draw gives more of a puff is about right. It will take longer to clear a bowl with the pace too.

I agree with the Peter Stokkebye blends in general. I myself do not care for aromatics but the Proper English in this line is one of my favorites right now and it does not bite, even if pushed a little. It will not be a "cigar like" flavor but it is a nice change from a cigar I think.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I really like the Lane RLP and 1Q they are both great starter blends as they burn well and bite very little even with constant puffing.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    I really like the Lane RLP and 1Q they are both great starter blends as they burn well and bite very little even with constant puffing.
    That 1Q is great, isn't it? Another one that my wife says "Oh my God, that makes me crave chocolate! It smells so good!" I haven't had the RLP.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    RLP is nice, its really close to Captain Black Gold, it has those hints of Nougut and Vanilla.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to realize that pipes and cigars are 2 completely separate worlds (at least they seem very different to me). Also, think of smoking a pipe more like "sipping" than puffing.

Ive been at the pipe thing since Oct, so Im pretty much a professional, right?? A few of my new favorites are Orlik Golden slices, erik stokkebye's 1855 (the new 4th generation blends) and Macbarens Old dark fired.

for more of a cigar taste, i think Burley tobaccos are the way to go... the macbaren has a great dark smokey flavor, very earthy, slightly sweet, good strength. I like Cornell & Diehl old joe krantz for a burley blend. A little bitter and spicy, but in a good way, like a cigar.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Amos Umwhat:
    I really like the Captain Black Royal, nice gentle morning smoke, like the Gold, but more "chocolate". Are you taking your time? using your tamper? did you break in your pipe? what kind of pipe are you using? does it have a filter, and do you use it? (I don't)

I remember when I started smoking a pipe, someone I knew smoked Middleton's Cherry Blend. It smelled soooo great! I had to try it. Burned the crap out of my tongue! I hated it. I ended up smoking Sir Walter Raleigh and Douwe-Egberts Amphora, and Sail. I would also smoke Flying Dutchman, but cut it with Sail to avoid the "bite". Of those, Sail is the only one I know of that's still available. SWR may be, but I haven't really looked.

Take your time, shop around, there are a world of different experiences based on many many variables. If you like cigars, you'll probably find something in the pipe world that suits you. Of course, you may not, but do a little homework to be sure before you give up.

To answer your questions I would say part of my problem is I am probably going too fast from what I have been reading. Yes I have and use a tamper. I have broken in the pipe according to a different forum (before this one was created). The pipe is a Savinelli and it came with wood filter that I have been using. Should I take them out? Since it came with them I just figured I should use them but really don’t know the difference. What would I gain or lose without them?

I started with the pipe before ccom sold any of this stuff and took recommendations from another online vendor. They sold me an assortment of tobacco based on the type of cigars I told them I like. From what I am reading here my guess is I should have started with some milder blends to learn the pipe first and should not have expected a "cigar like" experience.

I think I am going to start over with some of the recommended captain black blends and slow down a bit and see how it goes.

Perhaps someone can chime it about whether or not to use the balsa filters. What is the purpose of them and should I use it or take it out?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

For reference purposes this is what the "other place" sold me with the pipe to start out with. I don't know anything about any of them other than this is what they recommended.

Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake

Cornell & Diehl "Autumn Evening"

Villiger 1888 Cocktail Hour Pipe Tobacco

McClelland St. James Woods

GL Pease JackKnife Ready Rubbed

Hearth & Home Stogie

Hearth & Home Steamroller

slamb@cigar.com:
    Start Lite! I will tell you now--and I think you have grasped this concept--pipes take patience! It is not like a cigar in the least, there is a ritual about smoking a pipe from packing, to lighting, to smoking, and it will take time until you get the hang of it. The tongue bite will dissipate in no time, but you have to keep smoking. Start with a light blend; an aromatic perhaps. Honestly Captain Black Gold is a perfect starter tobacco (and still one of my favorites). Also, a lot of the Peter Stokkebyes are a good way to start, like the Golden Dansk, or Lanes Burley with out the Bite. Stay away from the flake tobaccos until you really get the grasp of smoking a pipe, these will be more robust generally, and will give you a slight tongue bite if you are not used to it. If you are looking for something that is going to be reminiscent to that of a cigar, McClelland makes what is called Dominican Glory, this is actually made with Dominican cigar tobaccos. Now, if you do like a more robust smoke and you want to push through and go straight for the English Blends, McClelland’s Frog on the Town is really nice. Hang in there, the sooner you realize that this will be nothing like smoking a cigar and take it for what it is, the sooner you will be able to really enjoy the smoke, and get lost in the wistful nuances of pipe smoking.

This may be a dumb question, but for a new guy how would I know a "lite" blend if I saw one (other than what has been mentioned here). From the huge lists of blends out there it almost seems to me like you need to know what your looking for before you start.
    Your best way is to become acquainted with the different varietals of tobaccos, from there you should be able to deduce what blends will work for you. Another great way, Tobaccoreviews.com that will give you a wealth of different reviews on almost every blend that is on the market today--or just ask one of us if you get stuck.
    As for your other post about the filters. Filters are purely personal preference. Personally I can't stand them, call me a purist, but I am not a fan. To me filters dull the flavor of the tobacco and the amount of smoke I get from my pipes, plus it's just one more thing to worry about. The only ones that I could ever use are the balsa wood ones, they are alright because they won’t muddle up the works to much, but help to soak up any moisture.
    Looking at what the "other place" told you to start with, I'm rather confused, the majority of those blends would surely not be for the beginner, especially the Jack Knife. Don't get me wrong, I love Greg's work, he is a master in his own right, but giving a beginner a plus tobacco, is a big no no in my book, it's just going to be too overwhelming for someone who isn't used to cutting their own plug, plus the bite is going to be a bit intense.
    All in all, if you are lost, check out tobaccoreviews.com and if you need any further help, you have a bunch of avid, veteran smokers right here that will give you a professional, and honest opinion.
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Your best way is to become acquainted with the different varietals of tobaccos, from there you should be able to deduce what blends will work for you. Another great way, Tobaccoreviews.com that will give you a wealth of different reviews on almost every blend that is on the market today--or just ask one of us if you get stuck.
    As for your other post about the filters. Filters are purely personal preference. Personally I can't stand them, call me a purist, but I am not a fan. To me filters dull the flavor of the tobacco and the amount of smoke I get from my pipes, plus it's just one more thing to worry about. The only ones that I could ever use are the balsa wood ones, they are alright because they won’t muddle up the works to much, but help to soak up any moisture.
    Looking at what the "other place" told you to start with, I'm rather confused, the majority of those blends would surely not be for the beginner, especially the Jack Knife. Don't get me wrong, I love Greg's work, he is a master in his own right, but giving a beginner a plus tobacco, is a big no no in my book, it's just going to be too overwhelming for someone who isn't used to cutting their own plug, plus the bite is going to be a bit intense.
    All in all, if you are lost, check out tobaccoreviews.com and if you need any further help, you have a bunch of avid, veteran smokers right here that will give you a professional, and honest opinion.
    I have to agree, most of those are potent blendsI don't like filters, and tend to take them out if I buy an estate pipe that has one, granted I don't smoke my pipe as much as I used to since I got my Hookah, but I still have secveral blends I keep stored, I started with a few Black Cavendash blends as well as a straight Red Virgina Blend, I think most pipe smokes srtart off with Aromatics and kinda work towards non-aromatic blends, well thats how I started anyways. I agree with the Tobaccoreview site, most of the reviews are really spot on, kinda like here :D