Home Non Cigar Related

Online Storage

For those of you who like dropbox and other online storage you should sign up for a mega account I wont post the link here since its another website just use the google to find it. Its free 50GB from what I read they launched yesterday and already have more than a million users in 24 hours.

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Nice.
    Checked the other day but the site was down.

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    I would never trust an online storage service for anything other than transferring a totally non-valuable file to someone else on a temporary basis. Inevitably, you're going to accidentally put something up there containing personal information, someone will hack it (or the company will) and all of a sudden you've got identify theft all over the place.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    I would never trust an online storage service for anything other than transferring a totally non-valuable file to someone else on a temporary basis. Inevitably, you're going to accidentally put something up there containing personal information, someone will hack it (or the company will) and all of a sudden you've got identify theft all over the place.
    disagree wholeheartedly.

Just as long as the online storage company has the proper SSL certificates, SSAE 16 certified, and is accredited through the ISO the storage is going to be safe and secure.

If the company is going to use your files or claim ownership they have to disclose that in the terms of service. As of now, dropbox, google drive, mozy, and the other majors have not disclosed that in any of their terms of service. there are plenty of sites that review the terms of service to weed out those types of things. (BTW Instagram just announced that they claim ownership of your pictures with their newest terms of service)

At this point there have not been any reports of the major services that are ISO certified being hacked.

overall, these services are now mature and many fortune 500 companies and government entities are using these services. I don't think your pictures of your trip to disneyworld are going to be at risk if you keep them out there. Hell even a copy of your tax returns should be ok.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    Just as long as the online storage company has the proper SSL certificates, SSAE 16 certified, and is accredited through the ISO the storage is going to be safe and secure. overall, these services are now mature and many fortune 500 companies and government entities are using these services. I don't think your pictures of your trip to disneyworld are going to be at risk if you keep them out there. Hell even a copy of your tax returns should be ok.
    I don't find that convincing. Hackers routinely break into supposedly secure corporate and defense networks every day. Hacking into an online storage site is probably much easier. Or what's to stop some unscrupulous employee from hacking the stuff?
    I agree with you that for storing innocuous stuff like photos these sites are trustworthy. But I would never trust any online site to hold anything that I felt had a need to be confidential. And I work in the online industry!
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I use them, but not for everything. I see them as great for backing-up most of my files, but don't bother with everything and still wouldn't trust everything to them. But I love sharing larger files over dropbox and other-such services. Makes my life easier during job applications where employers want to see videos of me.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    raisindot:
    brianetz1:
    Just as long as the online storage company has the proper SSL certificates, SSAE 16 certified, and is accredited through the ISO the storage is going to be safe and secure. overall, these services are now mature and many fortune 500 companies and government entities are using these services. I don't think your pictures of your trip to disneyworld are going to be at risk if you keep them out there. Hell even a copy of your tax returns should be ok.
    I don't find that convincing. Hackers routinely break into supposedly secure corporate and defense networks every day. Hacking into an online storage site is probably much easier. Or what's to stop some unscrupulous employee from hacking the stuff?
    I agree with you that for storing innocuous stuff like photos these sites are trustworthy. But I would never trust any online site to hold anything that I felt had a need to be confidential. And I work in the online industry!
    the difference is that these companies whole business strategy revolves around safe and secure storage of your data. If they have a failure, they lose the trust of their buying public so they go the extra mile by getting certified by various companies. They hire "hackers" to test their networks. Google specifically opens their servers to the red hat conference in an attempt to try and get them to break into the servers.

Nothing is un hackable, but the computer which I am posting on right now that holds that data is 1000% times more open than those servers. As the admin of my network i follow all industry standard methods to secure my data but the honest to god truth is that my data would be more secure at Mozy/Dropbox than it is sitting on my servers or client computers.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    raisindot:
    brianetz1:

If you work in the online Industry as do I (electronic health records) you would know that all your stuff is already out there somewhere... Any company you use be it your Bank your Credit Card company or your Doctor they all pretty much use internet based storage or Cloud storage. Am I saying you will never get hacked no and would I use this particular service for crucial information no but only because they dont even allow you to go back and change your password or recover it they basically let you set it up then destroy all information about it that they would normally keep. That being said for large files or picture storage or anything like that 50gb of free cloud storage that you can access from anywhere and share with others if you want is still a good deal :)