Home Cigar 101

Looking to buy a new humidor.

Looking to buy a new humidor but on the ropes on which tou buy ive been looking at both the Evanston Dome Humidor and Evanston Diablo Humidor im leaning more toward the diablo but does anyone else have any input it would be greatly appreciated P.S. its going to be my welcome home from Afghanistan gift to myself.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Dante6:
    Looking to buy a new humidor but on the ropes on which tou buy ive been looking at both the Evanston Dome Humidor and Evanston Diablo Humidor im leaning more toward the diablo but does anyone else have any input it would be greatly appreciated P.S. its going to be my welcome home from Afghanistan gift to myself.
    Either would make a great home for your sticks. Personally I like the idea of having a couple of drawers for cigar related things to be kept on hand. Also I believe that humi is a little bigger then the other, so that equals more sticks!

When do you come back to the States?
  • Dante6Dante6 Posts: 16
    i like the idea of more capacity and a storage drawer as well unless anyone else has a similar humidor with equal capacity thats better and to answer the return to the states question... less then 2 months
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    dont have any personal experience with either one, but I was thinking about buying the Evanston Diablo Humidor. The only reason I didnt was because I wanted one with some glass in it so I could monitor the rH without opening it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Thanks for your service.

I don't have either myself but almost purchased the Diablo. I do know of a few people with that one and it works great. At the end of the day, it comes down to which one you want to look at more.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I own the diablo and love it. Tons of space and the drawers are nice. Mine seals super tight and I've never had any issues so I can recommend that one. Price is very reasonable for capacity. I also use a 64 quart tupperdor which holds about 20 boxes for aging cubans and non. Now that thing holds humidity! Plastic for the win. Starting out stick with the diablo though.
    2013-01-22 18.45.47
    my diablo
    2013-01-22 18.46.03
    and my tupperdor for box storage. Best humi alternative out there
    2013-01-22 18.46.43
    less than 15 dollars for this cheapo. Ugly but functional.
    2013-01-22 18.47.18
  • I don't think mine is technically the Diablo. But it looks like it pretty much. image
  • I would suggest something like this though. Mainly if you're going to be storing a good amount of them.
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Blurr either that is the biggest tupperware container I've ever seen or you have really tiny hands. Or maybe you have a kid... just thought I'd comment. On topic, just get a cooler lol. I wish I had when I started hanging around this place. My 120ct is full to the brim and I haven't purchased anything in a couple months.
    Lol, that's my son. 2 years and 2 months old and he already won't keep his grubby hands off ma Cubans. I taught him well..
    Pm to you Dante.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    On topic, just get a cooler lol. I wish I had when I started hanging around this place. My 120ct is full to the brim and I haven't purchased anything in a couple months.
    ^^^+1 to this
    Or one of my favorite (recurring) Kuzi posts....

kuzi16:
    100ct? ha!!
    ive posted this before and im sure ill post it again:

If you are looking for a 20 count because you are "just starting out" and "dont need that many" then go with a 50 count.
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

you WILL want more room

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    pelirrojo:
    On topic, just get a cooler lol. I wish I had when I started hanging around this place. My 120ct is full to the brim and I haven't purchased anything in a couple months.
    ^^^+1 to this

kuzi16:
    100ct? ha!!

If you are looking for a 20 count because you are "just starting out" and "dont need that many" then go with a 50 count.
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.

you WILL want more room
    it might be me being a newbie and haven't gotten to the point where i need a cooler but part of the allure of smoking cigars for me is the humidor. Getting a nice humidor to act as a conversation piece, or to be able to open it and smell that smell. Having a nice piece of wood that you kind of cherish and take care of, tinker with, and look through on occasion at this point is part of the process for me.

To me a cooler just seems to take something away from the experience to me. Kind of makes it less special.

I can see it if you are aging boxes, but for someone who is at the point where they only want to have on hand around 100 cigars I don't see the point.
    Go the diablo then. Its plenty of capacity to grow into and will be more than enough room to store 150 to 200 cigars. It looks pretty nice also, and can't beat the price. I've heard some issues with not great seals because I believe they are chinese or whatever country made in and imported, but mine seals tight as ***.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bite the bullet and get a tower.
    Then you will have plenty of room for what ever you need to put in it.
    Without my tower, I'd have boxes and tuperdores everywhere. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    it might be me being a newbie and haven't gotten to the point where i need a cooler but part of the allure of smoking cigars for me is the humidor. Getting a nice humidor to act as a conversation piece, or to be able to open it and smell that smell. Having a nice piece of wood that you kind of cherish and take care of, tinker with, and look through on occasion at this point is part of the process for me.

To me a cooler just seems to take something away from the experience to me. Kind of makes it less special.
    I get what you're saying.
    I'd agree that opening the lid on a wooden humidor gives a different feeling/experience than opening the lid on a coolidor. Not that either one is necessarily better than the other, but they're different experiences.
    brianetz1:
    I can see it if you are aging boxes, but for someone who is at the point where they only want to have on hand around 100 cigars I don't see the point.
    LOL. Stick around here a while then try to tell us you don't need more space. :-D

And @Dante6 , back to your original question, my vote's for the Diablo. I don't have one but I love the look of it and think the built-in accessory drawers are slick. If I ever get another humidor, it will be that one so I can keep my accessories and smokes all in one "box".

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to chime in so late but my vote is for the Diablo too. I got one at the advice of many here and I love it. Plenty of room, great storage (drawers), looks beautiful, and lid seals super tight/keeps rh rock solid!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    brianetz1:

I get what you're saying.
    I'd agree that opening the lid on a wooden humidor gives a different feeling/experience than opening the lid on a coolidor. Not that either one is necessarily better than the other, but they're different experiences.
    brianetz1:
    LOL. Stick around here a while then try to tell us you don't need more space. :-D

And @Dante6 , back to your original question, my vote's for the Diablo. I don't have one but I love the look of it and think the built-in accessory drawers are slick. If I ever get another humidor, it will be that one so I can keep my accessories and smokes all in one "box".
    see the difference is that i just dont have the funds to get to that point
    2 kids and a handicapped wife = little funds
  • Dante6Dante6 Posts: 16
    I went with the diablo looking forward to getting home and setting it up may have to upgrade again shortly after my humidor here in the 'stan is overflowing allready
    Dante6:
    I went with the diablo looking forward to getting home and setting it up may have to upgrade again shortly after my humidor here in the 'stan is overflowing allready

they never listen to us do they? Its always a shock to think you will need a cooler and that much space, but you will learn young padawan. The diablo is awesome though, you made a good choice but let us know how fast its full.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Dante6 check your PM's dewd
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    pelirrojo:
    ^^^+1 to this

kuzi16:
    100ct? ha!!

you WILL want more room
    lol, that's a good quote! Must have missed that one. One of the best from Kuzi! I have a 300 count dome and I have it just for my singles of various opus's and rare singles. I had to buy a 5000 count cabinet for everything else and I have a 100 count for my infused gurkha cigars. All and all always plan ahead.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Best piece of advice I got on these very forums was to go ahead and just do the coolidor thing. I didn't get that elaborate with it. I just put 4 sacks of beads and got some empty boxes from a B&M I hang out at sometimes. It was the smartest thing I ever did. I haven't had to worry about space. But almost two years later... it's starting to get full...