Home Pipes

Full VA Flake

J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
A couple of months ago I picked up 250 gm of Sam Gawith FVF. I have smoked several bowls and wanted to see what others in the cigar world think about this blend. It smokes very slowly. I tried this in my flake pipe but forget it I could not keep it lit and it burned forever. Now I rub it out and in my VA pipe that usually burns most blends around an hr. it takes 2 hrs. + to finish a bowl! The smoke falls into the medium category but the flavor is tremendous. I get sweet, creamy, earthy, leather, nutty tastes that move in and out playing off of each other. Just in the last couple of bowls I have notice on retro-haling that every once in a while (I mean very rarely) I pick up a scent that reminds me of a good butcher shop (in a good way). This happens so in frequently for a while I thought that I was imagining it but it is present now and then. I will be buying more of this.

The only downside to this is that it really should be smoked in a small bowl. When I have the 2+ hrs. to smoke I would rather have a cigar but if you enjoy pipes too and are looking for a change in profile from your normal go to cigar this might be a nice change of pace.

Comments

• I love this stuff. I don't rub it out, but I let the flakes dry out until they are crispy. Still have to work to keep it lit! I have found that FVF is a vitamin N kick in the face. I had to grab a can of root beer last time I had a bowl. You might also want to try Cornell & Diehl's Opening Night. It's a red and bright virginia broken flake blend.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Mr. N, was present in FVF. At the end of a bowl I do have a nice buzz but not too bad.

I will have to try C&D's Opening Night. I do like their Briar Fox blend but have not got to Opening Night yet.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not experienced with VA flake. You mention using your "Flake" pipe, and your "VA" pipe. I tend to use one pipe for one brand or style of tobacco for a period of time, then may change. The style of pipe I like tends to stay the same, mildly curved stem, heavy briar bowl. Do you use a particular type of pipe for flake? Say, shallow bowl, or long stem, etc.? Or, are you simply doing what I do, and designate one particular pipe for one particular tobacco, even though the pipe may be similar to your other pipes. Thanks.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    I'm not experienced with VA flake. You mention using your "Flake" pipe, and your "VA" pipe. I tend to use one pipe for one brand or style of tobacco for a period of time, then may change. The style of pipe I like tends to stay the same, mildly curved stem, heavy briar bowl. Do you use a particular type of pipe for flake? Say, shallow bowl, or long stem, etc.? Or, are you simply doing what I do, and designate one particular pipe for one particular tobacco, even though the pipe may be similar to your other pipes. Thanks.

I use a pipe for my flakes that is a little deeper bowl. It allows me to fold the flake and still have a little room at the top when I stuff it in. Flakes that are just folded and stuffed tend to smoke cooler so basically you are just looking for a bowl that will be deep enough to take a flake and have enough room on top to add what has broken off and to have a little room below the rim. Flakes tend to puff up a little more on the false light than a ribbon or other cut would.

My VA pipe is for VA's that are not flakes or flakes that I want to break up. This too is a deep bowl but it is a little narrower than the the pipe I use for a full flake. I think the narrower chamber helps keep the smoke cooler and it is less likely to bite.
    I should also say that the pipe I use for flakes could just a well be used for any VA I just keep in in the rotation as a flake pipe because I have so few pipes to chose from right now and flake is becoming a part of the rotation more and more frequently.
    I picked up some Orlik "Golden Sliced" the other day. Haven't tried it yet, it is VA flake with "a touch" of Perique. Smells fantastic. Odd looking stuff, looks like slices of bacon. Anyone had any experience with this?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Amos Umwhat:
    I picked up some Orlik "Golden Sliced" the other day. Haven't tried it yet, it is VA flake with "a touch" of Perique. Smells fantastic. Odd looking stuff, looks like slices of bacon. Anyone had any experience with this?
    Tried it today. Very mild, some hints of fruit/sweetness in the background. I'm used to much stronger flavors. It did start to burn the tongue a little toward the end, I may have been smoking a little too fast. Probably a good morning smoke for me.

Amos Umwhat:
    Amos Umwhat:

Tried it today. Very mild, some hints of fruit/sweetness in the background. I'm used to much stronger flavors. It did start to burn the tongue a little toward the end, I may have been smoking a little too fast. Probably a good morning smoke for me.

I think it is OK. It is a VA/Per and I think there are better ones out there but I will say that for the price it is a good smoke. You have to pay almost 50% or more to get a better VA/Per. The dried fruit is the perique, it is a little tangy too but I think this is from the VAs in it.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Orlik is a fantastic mild, sweet smoke. Perique barely noticeable if at all. It is my favorite go-to right now. Just bougt 12 tins!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Orlik is a fantastic mild, sweet smoke. Perique barely noticeable if at all. It is my favorite go-to right now. Just bougt 12 tins!
    I've been enjoying it. Different from my usual smokes.

• Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    Gray4lines:
    Amos Umwhat:
    I've been enjoying it. Different from my usual smokes.
    Me too! image
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America