Home Cigar 101

Winter Time Humidification Problem

I have a winter time humidification problem. First, here's my setup: - I have a Madeline 50 count humidor with about 20 - 25 cigars in it (5 in the top tray, the rest underneath), - a madeline humidifier (rectangular, green foam filled) attached to the top of the humidor, - and a Xikar 4 oz. crystal humidifier jar in the bottom of the humidor. I will refill the rectangular humidifier with distilled water, but will refill it with Xikar PG solution every third time. I follow the same refilling method with the crystal humidifier jar. I have two Western Caliber III digital hygrometers (one on the top shelf and one on the bottom) which I've calibrated with a Humidipak 72. Here's my issue: I've measured my foam, rectangular humidifier empty (5 oz.), and I've measured it filled to the max (6 oz.). So let's say: Day 1: I'll fill the foam, rectangular humidifier to 6 oz. and fill the crystal humidifier jar to the max line. Day 2: I'll check the hygrometers and they'll read 62%. Day 3: I'll check the hygrometers and they'll read 64%. Day 4: I'll check the hygrometers and they'll read 65%. Day 5: I'll check the hygrometers and they'll read 62%. It dropped. So I'll check the weight on my rectangular humidifier and it will read 5.7 oz. and the crystal humidifier jar will still look full. If I just put it back and wait another day or three the humidity level will drop again to like 60% but the rectangular humidifier will only read 5.6 oz. while the jar still looks at max. My question is why is the humidity dropping if there's still enough PG solution in both humidifiers?

Comments

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    It sounds like maybe you need to take the cigars out, and season the humidor for 4 to 5 days. Get it seasoned and settled at a good 68 or so rh for a few days then reintroduce your cigars. Sounds like the wood itself needs to suck up some moisture and settle for a few days. Or put an open container of distilled water in there for a few days and your humidity will rise.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1, did you season it before putting in your cigars? And also wintertime is usually a more difficult time keeping your humi at just the right RH because of the fluxuations in the ambient humidity. Keep an eye on that foam humidifier, they grow mold fast. Throw it out at the first sign of mold.
    Also 65rh isn't necessarily bad, in fact a lot of smokers here prefer to keep their humis at 65. I would say there are even a few who like when their humis get down to like 62rh. So I wouldn't be super concerned because its not going to ruin your cigars. I like mine at 67 to 68 personally but its preference.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    pm to ya Fractal
  • FractalFractal Posts: 11
    I actually didn't season it before I put in my cigars, but I've had this humidor for 4 years and it holds the humidification nicely around summertime. I have had to throw out one of those foam humidifiers before so I do keep an extra eye on it.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hhhhmmmm my suggestion would be to fill it with cigars!! It's easier to maintain humidity with less open space. So go buy some sticks!!!!!!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Hhhhmmmm my suggestion would be to fill it with cigars!! It's easier to maintain humidity with less open space. So go buy some sticks!!!!!!!
    yeah that might be the answer humis work better if they are full or almost full.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    pm again
    Well my 2 wooden humis have been running low all winter, its just something you deal with when the super dry winter air sticks around. Try just a shotglass of distilled water, I'm telling you thats all I do and it takes my rh perfectly to 67 or 68. Of course I use beads to regulate humidity so yours may go higher than that, but the shotglass will get you a good boost. Make sure to wash it out every few weeks though.