Home Pipes

A few recommendations, if you please.

mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
New to pipes and this forum and just looking for a few recommendations from those that may have some. I have tried only two tobaccos thus far: the one that came with the pipe - I don't recall now what it was - and Sutliff PS Bacchanalia. I've read some of the forum posts about newb recommendations and will pick up some of those, but really enjoyed the Bacchanalia and was hoping someone might have more specific recommendations based on it. I know that is a pretty limited sample to work from. Thanks in advance. Mason

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I cannot help a lot here. This is more of an aromatic blend, which I don't care for. However, it is a burley and VA blend. If you like that blend without the wine that was added something like Peterson's Sherlock Holmes would be a good start. If you like the wine flavor then you might also try some blends with whiskey or rum.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    J.**** a good one there, Petersons Sherlock Holmes is a nice natural non-aromatic blend of Virginia and Burley that is quite pleasing if you are looking to try a non-aromatic. If you are looking for something with a grape-like flavor to it like the Bacchanalia try out Peter Stokkebyes Champagne which will have a nice light flavor to it and lends to a nice room note as well. Some others you may like are the Lane 1-Q or RLP-6, another that I have been enjoying is the Peter Stokkebye Golden Dansk.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    J.S. and slamb, thank you both for the recommendations. I think I'm going to pick up the Sherlock Holmes, P.S. Champagne, as well as Sutliffe PS Top Shelf and Ashton Consummate Gentlemen, for now. It seems like a nice mix to broaden my experience without too much risk. I'll keep the other recommendations until I can afford more though. Thanks again, Mason
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been smoking some McClellands 221-B black shag, their "Sherlock Holmes" blend, and enjoying it quite a bit. A nice blend, very flavorful without being too strong. Took a look at the Sutliffe Bacchanalia, and would recommend any of the Capt. Blacks if you like that. My own Sutliffe choice has been the Balkan Luxury, which I like, but it's pretty strong on the Latakia. Powerful stuff.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I am with you Amos, the Mcclellands 221-B Black Shag is one of my favorite blends, the Arcadia is really nice as well; if you haven't had a chance to try that, do your self a favor and pick up a tin.