Home Non Cigar Related

Chili

kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
So I'm a huge chili fan and truly enjoy making my own, I u make a myriad of different types and freeze and give some to friends and family members. Every so often I'll just have a grilled cheese and canned chili for lunch or a quick dinner. What's everyone's experience with canned chili? What do you like and dislike. I myself enjoy the Hormel brand specifically hot with beans. I've had the Trader Joe's brand and Aldi's brand and didn't mind them. Tonight I had the Wolf Brand and seriously my dog's canned food smelled and probably tastes better. Let me know what you guys think?

Comments

• Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love chilli to bro, we make all kinds and freeze it, I use all types if peppers, remind me thus summer and I will send u dome peppers out of our fields
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    My grandfather won the Texas chilli cookoff two years straight with a venison chilli. (His original recipe called for a half ton of venison, cubed to 1/4 "). I have taken his original spice recipe and tweaked it a bit by changing the types of peppers he used. (He only used 1 pepper - I use three). Every year I grow these three specific peppers that are chosen for maximum flavor with a medium hot (just above the jalapenio pepper on the scoville chart) pepper heat. I dry and process these peppers myself and then blend them with several other spices from his original recipe. Last year I made 20 lbs of chilli spice. (You use 1 tbs per lb of meat). Lots of it goes to friends and family who clamor and bug me for it every year. We make chilli with it, but also put it in a lot of other stuff - soups, pasta dishes and casseroles, scrambled eggs, on pizza, I've even used it as a dry rub on bbq ribs.

We do not eat canned chilli.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I love chili and my wife has gotten good at it. As far as canned chili goes I only use it when I need a little on a hot dog and we use Hormel for that.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't dig the canned stuff. I stay away from processed stuff..love to make it because its comfort food and not too bad for you. Great chili is an art.
  • DCarp2005DCarp2005 Posts: 140
    I love chili as well. I prefer to make my own, but i think campbell's chunky chili is really good if your in a bind. THe 4 alarm is the best IMO. I also like to use half ground beef and half hot sausage in my chili
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Don't dig the canned stuff. I stay away from processed stuff..love to make it because its comfort food and not too bad for you. Great chili is an art.
    Well said Shizza!!!
    Every now and then at the grocery store, one of those cans will catch my eye and I'll think "ooo chili sounds good, but I don't want to wait/mess with making a whole pot" so I'll grab a can, thinking it will be good unlike the last time I had canned chili, but I'm inevitably disappointed because the canned stuff never tastes quite right.

Got a few different chili recipes though - sweet/ hot & spicy/ beer/ smoky, etc. - good stuff.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yep love making chilli and cornbread,,,,Will be making a batch this weekend, I like red/kidney beans in mine, Every now and then I'll make a straight chilli.
    As far as canned chilli's go. I prefer Dennisons. I also eat Cattle Drive and Nalley, Cant remember having any Hormel recently, but I do remember trying a can of Wolf and it made a lasting impression, God it was awful, took one bite and threw out the rest
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Yep love making chilli and cornbread,,,,Will be making a batch this weekend, I like red/kidney beans in mine, Every now and then I'll make a straight chilli.
    As far as canned chilli's go. I prefer Dennisons. I also eat Cattle Drive and Nalley, Cant remember having any Hormel recently, but I do remember trying a can of Wolf and it made a lasting impression, God it was awful, took one bite and threw out the rest
    most chili people will curse beans in chili but i like red kindney beans in my as well , only can chili i use is wolf brand no beans and make enchilandas with it and aint half bad that way, my mom use to make them like that, chili, onion, chesse rolled up in corn tortilla make a pan full add onion and cheese on top and bake 30 mins or so, yummy
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    jj20030:
    The Kid:
    most chili people will curse beans in chili but i like red kindney beans in my as well , only can chili i use is wolf brand no beans and make enchilandas with it and aint half bad that way, my mom use to make them like that, chili, onion, chesse rolled up in corn tortilla make a pan full add onion and cheese on top and bake 30 mins or so, yummy
    Sounds good, Ive used canned chilli on Nacho's,, (Yea Dustin I like Nacho's) and that comes out pretty tasty. I really enjoy a good chilli mac too
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    The Kid:
    jj20030:
    The Kid:
    Sounds good, Ive used canned chilli on Nacho's,, (Yea Dustin I like Nacho's) and that comes out pretty tasty. I really enjoy a good chilli mac too
    We're having a superbowl/birthday parth for a bunch of friends. We started the chili this evening...no beans, just cubed beef. We'll have Mac & Cheese or rice to put it over. Don't care too much about this game, but I'll be rooting for Harbaugh.