Home General Discussion

pre light

just watched a video where the guy pre lit before cutting saying it changed the flavor some. wondering if anyone does this. might have to give it a try just out of curiosity.

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    bad practice if ya ask me
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    funny i saw one the other day guy actually warmed up his cigar with the lighter first.ran the flame up and down the body of the cigar before he lit it.said it helped release some of the flavors and oils in the leaf????
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    The Kid:
    just curious as to what would be bad about it.
    jeep edson:
    The Kid:
    just curious as to what would be bad about it.
    One reason would be that it will affect the pre draw taste, secondly one would be committed to smoking the cigar after doing so, there has been occassion where the cigar has a poor draw and dryboxing afterward has helped , that wouldnt be advisable after its been roasted.
    Further i see no benefit in it
    plus i dont want to get my lighter out, roast, put my lighter away, get my cutter out, cut, then put my cutter away, then get my lighter out and reroast.
    plus i dont want the guys at the lounge looking at me all funny.lol
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sounds like the guy messed up the order.

After cutting, I always toast the foot of my cigars out of habit, and I think it helps when I go to light it; but I can't think of any reason why you'd toast then cut; nothing good comes from letting the cigar oils cool down
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually toast my sticks before cutting usually. Honestly, from what I remember it hasn't changed a lot of the favors. Just a stupid habit of mine.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twistedstem:
    funny i saw one the other day guy actually warmed up his cigar with the lighter first.ran the flame up and down the body of the cigar before he lit it.said it helped release some of the flavors and oils in the leaf????
    never heard of that, maybe with a soft flame. It's kinda got me curious.
  • I've done toasting many many times. And honestly I see no difference in taste. And it does not make it any easier to light. Especially in windy conditions.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    one would be committed to smoking the cigar after doing so, there has been occassion where the cigar has a poor draw and dryboxing afterward has helped , that wouldnt be advisable after its been roasted.
    this. there is nothing more to add to that statement.
    The Kid:
    there is benefit.
    the theory here is that there will be no air flow in any way trough the cigar. this will prevent smoke from entering the cigar before any draw is taken. the point of this is to keep any off flavors from a bad light entering the cigar. light, cut, puff. no scorched tobacco flavors. happier cigar.

i do not subscribe to this theory. just light the cigar as slowly as you can. move on with life.
  • insomnniapbinsomnniapb Posts: 590
    kuzi16:
    The Kid:
    one would be committed to smoking the cigar after doing so, there has been occassion where the cigar has a poor draw and dryboxing afterward has helped , that wouldnt be advisable after its been roasted.
    The Kid:
    there is benefit.
    the theory here is that there will be no air flow in any way trough the cigar. this will prevent smoke from entering the cigar before any draw is taken. the point of this is to keep any off flavors from a bad light entering the cigar. light, cut, puff. no scorched tobacco flavors. happier cigar.

i do not subscribe to this theory. just light the cigar as slowly as you can. move on with life.
    Have been waiting for your 2 cents! There's always a reason for everything somewhere huh?
    insomnniapb:
    kuzi16:
    The Kid:
    The Kid:
    there is benefit.

Have been waiting for your 2 cents! There's always a reason for everything somewhere huh?
    Thanks Kuzi, yep I understood the reason behind it, but like you I dont subscribe to it. My reasons are noted above and I just feel that the difference is negligble.
    But whatever a person chooses to do with his or her cigar is entirely up to them.