Home Cigar 101

New to the game

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I have recently purchased several pre-embargo Cuban cigars and am a first time humidor purchaser as well. These Cubans are sealed in their original cellophane wrappers and also sealed within plastic bags with their certificates of authenticity. How do I place them in the humidor? Do I take them out of the plastic bags? Do I take them out of their cellophane wrapper? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I would hate to see you ruin those pre-embargo cubans. If this is your first time with a humidor I'd keep them in all of their packaging until you get that humidor up and running and are familiar with how to keep your humidity level stable. Use the search button, there is lots of information on this site that should help you. Do you have any humidity packs? Boveda? Tupperware container? Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Not to be a debbie downer, but pre-embargo CCs did not come with celephane. So make sure what you have is legit. Somebody could have put them in celo just to protect them, which would be a good thing.

Also, get you a 69% Boveda pack ASAP. Like right now... or yesterday if possible! Then put the cigars (in just their celo wrap) in a zip-lock bag with the Boveda pack until you decide what to do permanently. You don't wanna risk improper storage, not even for a little while!

After you do these things, get back to us! We will guide you through the rest.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    What kind of cigars are they? Are you talking about Camacho Pre-Embargo cigars, or actual full Cubans that were imported before the 1962 ban?

If the former, then don't worry too much and treat them like a normal cigar

If the latter . . . damn, you've got some 50 year old cigars on your hands, very rare, very valuable to the right collector (assuming they're well cared for - cigars that old have their own special requirements for being cared for)

EDIT - Crap, just looked at the date of this thread. OP is long gone, my guess with some Camacho Pre-Embargos that he mistook for actual cubans

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    What kind of cigars are they? Are you talking about Camacho Pre-Embargo cigars, or actual full Cubans that were imported before the 1962 ban?

If the former, then don't worry too much and treat them like a normal cigar

If the latter . . . damn, you've got some 50 year old cigars on your hands, very rare, very valuable to the right collector (assuming they're well cared for - cigars that old have their own special requirements for being cared for)

EDIT - Crap, just looked at the date of this thread. OP is long gone, my guess with some Camacho Pre-Embargos that he mistook for actual cubans

BWAHAHAHA HA!

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)