Home Cigar 101

For all you tupperware guys out there...

MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
Okay, so this is going to get out of control quickly. My tiny humidor won't hold the cigars I ordered off the sprint sale. And I know I'll be getting more on top of that. Because we live in a fairly small place and on a budget, I don't think a cooler is the right way to go for me, yet.

I was considering just keeping my cigars in ziploc bags, but I'd have to have separate humidity control and monitoring in each to feel comfortable with that. The many hygrometers would start to price me out of that, so I'm leaning toward some tupperware.

My question has to do with type of tupperware. Can I use the cheap disposable stuff, or should I only look at something heavier-duty? The disposables are far cheaper, but they don't make them as large. If I go heavy-duty, I'm looking at some larger 2.5 gallon containers from Rubbermaid-they have this size with the easy-find lid and the snap-tight lid. It looks like cheap "disposable" 8 cup containers are about the largest of this sort, but they would allow me to organize a little more.

I've searched some threads that talk about tupperware, but aside from a couple of comments about an individual container here or there I can't find anything about types of containers and durability; it looks like some of you might use pretty flimsy containers and I wonder how that works?
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.

Comments

• brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i use these when i have overflow http://www.glad.com/food-storage/containers/freezerware-large/ they fit somewhere in the 25 cigar range.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Anything that'll hold the humidity will work. I use these when I'm in Kuwait:

• MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    i use these when i have overflow http://www.glad.com/food-storage/containers/freezerware-large/ they fit somewhere in the 25 cigar range.

Brian, that's exactly the "cheap" sort of stuff I was wondering about. How long have you kept cigars in them? Do they hold humidity for quite a while or would you only recommend them as a highly temporary/transitional storage component?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
    Steve2010:

Steve, are those these...http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Airtight-Rectangle-Container-10-8-Cup/dp/B00416XIW6/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1360252734&sr=1-11 ? I can't quite make out the label on your Maduro bin to see the brand.

Sorry, I didn't make that an actual link. Have a lot going on at once right now...I was considering something like thisl, perhaps even in the Large 40 cup size with a handle. But really wondered if the cheaper stuff would be okay.

I permanently switched. The dry conditions in the desert play havoc with wooden humidors. I use 69% Boveda packs. I open them up once a week for about 1/2 hour and then seal them back up.
    Martel:
    Steve2010:

Steve, are those these...http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-Airtight-Rectangle-Container-10-8-Cup/dp/B00416XIW6/ref=sr_1_11?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1360252734&sr=1-11 ? I can't quite make out the label on your Maduro bin to see the brand.

Sorry, I didn't make that an actual link. Have a lot going on at once right now...I was considering something like thisl, perhaps even in the Large 40 cup size with a handle. But really wondered if the cheaper stuff would be okay.
    the glad ones keep perfect humidity. put a 70 boveda pack in it and it stays at 70.
    Martel:
    Steve2010:

I have no idea what brand mine are. They look similar to the ones you posted. I have a digital hygro in each one of mine and the humidity never wavers.

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    I permanently switched. The dry conditions in the desert play havoc with wooden humidors. I use 69% Boveda packs. I open them up once a week for about 1/2 hour and then seal them back up.
    Steve, did they come with (or did you add) any type of special seal around the lid?? (Foam, rubber, etc)

We have a couple like that at home, considered using them for overflow but there's no real seal, just plastic lid up against plastic container, I've always been skeptical of how well they'd hold humidity.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

jgibv:
    Steve2010:
    Steve, did they come with (or did you add) any type of special seal around the lid?? (Foam, rubber, etc)

We have a couple like that at home, considered using them for overflow but there's no real seal, just plastic lid up against plastic container, I've always been skeptical of how well they'd hold humidity.
    Nope, nothing special added. If you're in doubt, toss a Boveda pack in with a hygro, close it up and check it in a few days.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine at a dollar store. Yes, you can use cheap disposable stuff. If you're still considering using ziplocs, I recommend using Boveda.
    image[/
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    jgibv:
    Steve2010:

Nope, nothing special added. If you're in doubt, toss a Boveda pack in with a hygro, close it up and check it in a few days.
    Very cool --- and that's encouraging to hear. Next time I need extra space I'll give it a shot, thanks!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

danielzreyes:
    Got mine at a dollar store. Yes, you can use cheap disposable stuff. If you're still considering using ziplocs, I recommend using Boveda.
    image[/
    this is what a shelf in my curio cabinet is beginning to look like.
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    I use one about the size of a shoebox with beads and it keeps humidity perfect. The brand is Lock & Lock which I believe is the same thing Steve has in his pic. These are food grade and have rubber around the seal so they are air tight. Somehow I outgrew that as well and also use a gallon freezer ziploc bag with the packs that come in ccom shipments.
    bbass2, thanks. I was looking at a Lock & Lock that had a removable tray, but was pretty small, holding only 2 liters. I thought the removable tray would be nice to place beads/kl under with smokes on top. The larger sizes are available in multi-sets only at this point. They're out of stock most places I look.

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    For some of my back stock I use ziplock bags with small boveda packs in Tupperware and put the crystals inside the container around the bags Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Money can't buy taste
    Awesome. Was thinking of doing something similar with open Ziplocs in the Tupperware.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am using about 8 large ziplock bags and 2 of the disposable ones. All keep RH perfect with Boveda. I use the 69RH in the ziplocks and 65RH in the disposables. The disposables have my un-celo'd in them. Its funny tho... I have one wooden 130Ct that is keeping perfect 69RH.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    i use 2 huge tuperware storage bins from dollar tree. think they were 10 bucks a pop. with the beads they hold a perfect 69 for me at all times.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the Coleman stackable containers. They aren't huge, various color options and snap down good. They run about $16.00 or so, good investment.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I use a more rigid rubbermaid type. Holds humidity perfect, with beads & litter pearls it never wavers. Just open it once every few weeks for fresh air. You really need to use boveda or beads if you go plastic. Any type is probably fine be creative and show us what you decide on.
    2013-01-22 18.46.43

2013-01-22 18.47.18