Home Cigar 101

Throw away?

ScottUScottU Posts: 194
So I took my herfador fishing and it got left with 2 sticks in the car for about 2 weeks at 100+ degrees, it had a freshly charged humicare bag in it, should I just chuck them in the trash? It's a DPG Blue and a CAO CX2...

Comments

• LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    ScottU:
    So I took my herfador fishing and it got left with 2 sticks in the car for about 2 weeks at 100+ degrees, it had a freshly charged humicare bag in it, should I just chuck them in the trash? It's a DPG Blue and a CAO CX2...
    They may not be 100% but I would just freeze them (just to make sure no dang beetles) and then fridge 'em (to bring 'em back to normal temps slowly) and then smoke em... No sense in wasting the cigars
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I've heard that dry sticks can be rehabilitated, though it takes about 2 years, lots of care and even then they still have lost their oils. Put them on the bottom of your humidor for about 6mo-1yr, then move them up to the top for another 6mo - the idea is that you put them in a dry part of your humidor and re-humidify them slowly - very slowly
    xmacro:
    I've heard that dry sticks can be rehabilitated, though it takes about 2 years, lots of care and even then they still have lost their oils. Put them on the bottom of your humidor for about 6mo-1yr, then move them up to the top for another 6mo - the idea is that you put them in a dry part of your humidor and re-humidify them slowly - very slowly
    I would think that with a freshly charged humidification device that you might tend to think that the opposite happened, I'd be worried about newly charged humidity in a confined space with only two cigars. I'd do a squeeze test to see if there are any soft or soggy spots to see if you need to humidify or dehydrate a little
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    yeah, and if it was 100+ outside, it was probably more like 150-200+ in your car...so they're probably cooked a bit...I would at least try em. You might be surprised. It might have added just the hint of something interesting to the flavor once you get them back to a normal humidity and temp. BTW- 100th post!!!
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on Post 100!!

I say screw it and smoke em! I'd let em rest for about 2 weeks in a normal humi then go for it. If they suck then you were just going to throw them away anyway :)
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Jetmech_63:
    Congrats on Post 100!!

I say screw it and smoke em! I'd let em rest for about 2 weeks in a normal humi then go for it. If they suck then you were just going to throw them away anyway :)
    Don't forget thou...this advice is coming from a guy who inhales exhaust from jet engines for a livin' :)~
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I say go for it, too! Why not? Those herf-a-dors seal very well so I wouldn't worry too much about the loss of humidity or oils. It's not like you had it sitting on the dash for two weeks. I'd freeze 'em just in case of beetles (which seems to be a mounting concern this time of year), stick em back in the humidor to re-stabilize and then have at em. Let us know how it goes.
    laker1963:
    Don't forget thou...this advice is coming from a guy who inhales exhaust from jet engines for a livin' :)~

Funny. You oughta see us in the winter. We all crowd about 15 feet behind a running engine to keep warm. God knows whats in exhaust...probably causes cancer like everything else :)
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Wouldn't I be able to see the beatles already if they were going to exist?
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    It's possible that the extreme heat might have cooked the eggs/larva/beetles.
    ScottU:
    Wouldn't I be able to see the beatles already if they were going to exist?
    The only real time you see them is when they are finished pillaging your tobacco and drilled a hole through it, they may be in there already but under the wrapper. (or they are cooked)
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    Jetmech_63:
    laker1963:

Funny. You oughta see us in the winter. We all crowd about 15 feet behind a running engine to keep warm. God knows whats in exhaust...probably causes cancer like everything else :)
    you know, I was thinking the other day, and I realized, after all these years of smoking cigars, cancer isn't an option for me. For any reason. Not because it's cancer and will kill me, but because if I ever got cancer from something like chemicals, my fiancee would never let me live it down. The "I Told You SO!!!" would ring forever... And there would be no doubt (for her) what caused it... lol
    I know what you mean, i'm not looking forward to that. She already is looking for a reason to burn my humi :)
  • brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    If its only 2 sticks I'd just smoke them. Wouldn't bother with any of the hassle other than letting them get back to normal temps.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    if its beetles you are worried about, you would see them emerge in a couple days, if you have smoked cigars any appreciable length of time, you have smoked a beetle. if its mold you are worried about, its not likely. mold takes a long time to grow, a couple days in high heat wont do it unless it also had high humidity which is not likely in a traveldor.