Home Pipes

Upgrading and good deal

mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
Now that I know I like the hobby and am upgrading my collection of tobaccos, I'd like to upgrade my pipe as well. The one I have is just a cheap, low quality one I got as part of a gift. I'd like to get a nice briar pipe, but on a budget. My question: where should I look to get the best value on a decent briar pipe? Best possible quality, for the lowest possible price. A deal. There are a couple on the site for about $16 and $25, would those be my best bet? Or are there better ways of getting a better pipe for that money? Or is investing, say $60, worth the additional cost? Thanks again.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Investing is definitely what I would suggest. When it comes to pipes you will get what you pay for and as long as you take care of it, it will appreciate over the years. A quality hand carved pipe is not just a pipe, it is a one of a kind work of art, if you think of it that way, it’s well worth the money and in the end, it’s a onetime cost. Just something to think about.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to say, I'm a cheapskate. I've got a couple pipes, probably Dr. Grabow, and I really like them, and don't mind travelling with them etc. On the other hand, I've got one I paid 3-4 times as much for, that's seen a lot of action, that I bought in 1984, makes it.....29 yrs old, and it's in as good or better shape, and seen a lot more tobacco, than the others. No matter what, though, you need at least 3 or 4 pipes if you're serious about smoking pipes. So, mix it up. Invest in a great one, but start with 2-3 reasonable ones.

Also, try to stick to one pipe per tobacco blend, it will pay off in flavor in the long run.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • This may be a really stupid question. I have seen many people say you can ditch the filter in your pipe if it comes with one and have even seen some converters sold for the purpose of converting a filtered to an unfiltered, but I am curious if you can convert the other way; from unfiltered to filtered? Can you just add a filter to any pipe? My utter lack of search results on the topic leads me to believe there isn't, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks. Mason
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is usually no "space" in the stem of an unfiltered pipe in which to place a filter. I have "filtered" pipes, and no longer use the filters. No problem, just clean the space for the filter. Q-tips, rolled up paper towel piece, both work.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mgk2020:
    This may be a really stupid question. I have seen many people say you can ditch the filter in your pipe if it comes with one and have even seen some converters sold for the purpose of converting a filtered to an unfiltered, but I am curious if you can convert the other way; from unfiltered to filtered? Can you just add a filter to any pipe? My utter lack of search results on the topic leads me to believe there isn't, but I thought I'd ask. Thanks. Mason
    Savinelli's that come with a filter typically also come with a "converter"so you may smoke without it. However, many just remove the filter, and leave it at that. I have not owned any filtered pipes, but an unfiltered pipe typically will not accept a filter.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    These gents pretty much hit the nail on head. One can take a filtered pipe and remove the filter to make it a non-filtered pipe, but you cannot take a non-filtered pipe and make it filtered...there is just not enough room in the shank and stem to accommodate it. I'd say check out some of the Stanwells, the majority of them will accommodate a 9mm filter, and usually come with a converter so you'd have the option to use or not use the filter.
  • jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    i just spent some serious dough on a couple pipes but i hope to hand them down to my son. a joe case slayer and a custom from grant batson. both of tennesse and both serious pipe carvers. just google them and look at some of the beautiful pipes they make. as the others have said you get what you pay for and i love having custom stuff from serious artists.
    I bet those are some beauties!