Home Cigar 101

A lighter question

I've got a Xikar Inpress lighter. I filled it, and used it and it works wonderfully. Well, we had some stuff happen and I've not touched it for like a week. I picked it up this morning just cuz I saw it there and went to light it, and nothing happened. I tried multiple times and nothing happened. I bled it, refilled it (using xikar butane) and now it works. Is that normal? Since using a lighter is a new thing for me (I usually use matches) I am not sure and can't find anything online that says anything about this.

Comments

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Was it outside or in a cold/cool location?
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    jthanatos:
    i didn't think so. It was just sitting on the bookshelf in our apartment. It got a little chilly last night, though...like down into the upper 60's.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    JZerby:
    jthanatos:
    i didn't think so. It was just sitting on the bookshelf in our apartment. It got a little chilly last night, though...like down into the upper 60's.
    Weird. Was it Xikar fluid in it when it stopped working too? If it was cold ~50F or below, it would make sense as butane has a relatively high vapor point, and you may have bled it before it warmed up enough to ignite. Personally, I would chalk it up to a fluke, especially because it worked fine with just a refill. If it happens again, call Xikar, they are really good at standing behind their products.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    All I can tell you is to make sure after you fill the lighter to make sure you let it rest for a minute or two. The change in temperature from filling can mess with it. Also, clean out the tip every once in awhile. There's a video online of a guy from Colibri taking pressurized air to his butane lighter, but that's crazy to me.

My Zippo Blu recommends once a month or so just lightly tapping it with the lid open (unlit of course) to loosen any debris that might interfere with butane flow.

Xikar fuel is pretty good so it's not the butane. Butane lighters are funny, man. I wouldn't worry about it too much if it's lighting well now.
  • JZerbyJZerby Posts: 122
    Big T smokes:
    All I can tell you is to make sure after you fill the lighter to make sure you let it rest for a minute or two. The change in temperature from filling can mess with it.
    That may have been my issue. The first time I filled it, which was my first time ever using one of these things, I just filled it and then lit it. This time, when I filled it, I followed a video tutorial on the xikar website and had no issues. I also turned the flame up a bit higher than I had had it.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that holding it cupped in the palm of your hand for a minute or 2 really helps to make it work better when the temp is down.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I have 2 torch lighters and they have the same symptom and was wondering if it is normal. 9 times out of 10 the torch will not light the first time but will light just fine on the second time I depress the switch. One is a Xikar and the other one has Ave Maria on it so I think they are different brands. Got them here at CCom.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    I have 2 torch lighters and they have the same symptom and was wondering if it is normal. 9 times out of 10 the torch will not light the first time but will light just fine on the second time I depress the switch. One is a Xikar and the other one has Ave Maria on it so I think they are different brands. Got them here at CCom.
    I think 2 clicks is normal with an electronic ignition. Holding in in your hand for a few seconds to warm up, like Ricky said, helps get the gas flowing well. I would not worry unless it takes more than 3 clicks every time. You may need to adjust the butane flow, to make sure enough, but not too much, is coming out
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Drain it, send it in to Xikar; you'll either get it fixed or a new one, in about 2 weeks
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Gray4lines:
    Roberto99:
    I think 2 clicks is normal with an electronic ignition. Holding in in your hand for a few seconds to warm up, like Ricky said, helps get the gas flowing well. I would not worry unless it takes more than 3 clicks every time. You may need to adjust the butane flow, to make sure enough, but not too much, is coming out
    Thanks, good to know!
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    xmacro:
    Drain it, send it in to Xikar; you'll either get it fixed or a new one, in about 2 weeks

+2 i have had to do this because one of mine stopped lighting. they sent me a new one no questions asked. You just have to register the lighter with them on their sight before you send it. Xikar is awesome....this is off topic, but they even replace my cutter no questions asked because of a loose screw. it still worked fine.