Home Cigar 101

Butane Lighters

YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm thinking about picking up a butane lighter. From what I've read, they are really tempermental. I know there is a trick to refilling them, but is it worth the trouble? Or should I just stick to matches? What's been everyone's experience? Also, are there any good non-refillable butanes on the market?

Comments

• leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Fill them properly and they are trouble free. I use my Xikar EX or a Ronson from Wally World daily and never have a problem.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I've had a colibri, it blew up on me. Now i use a "house brand" from a diffrent website, it's a dual torch, a snap to refill and its truly a workhorse of a lighter. I love it. PM me if you want to know more. Only thing is I took it camping at 9500 elevation and it wouldnt light, but youll run into that with most torches.
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    ... I took it camping at 9500 elevation and it wouldnt light, but youll run into that with most torches.
    Camping??? 9500 elevation???

That's a skydiving elevation around here, lol!
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Jetmech_63:
    I've had a colibri, it blew up on me.
    Same thing happened to me with one of their lighters.

To address the OP, the only trick to the butane lighters is to purge the tank when they start getting low. To do that take something pointy (I use a pocket knife) and lightly press on the fuel stem on the bottom until you don't hear any hissing anymore, then fill the sucker up. And buy a torch with a fuel window, it's really helpful and beats the heck out of guessing how much fuel you have left.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    Jetmech_63:
    ... I took it camping at 9500 elevation and it wouldnt light, but youll run into that with most torches.

Lol! High Sierras baby!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I got a cheapie Fuji and it works great ...although I did buy a can of butane used it once and can't find the sob anywhere ...how does chit just disappear ...maybe its partying with my lost socks ;)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    cabinetmaker:
    Jetmech_63:

Lol! High Sierras baby!
    lol, I used a Bic on Everest!!!!! =)
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    A LOT of people hate colibri lighters here. I have 2, both firebirds, one that died before I got a chance to refill it, and one that has worked for years that I use everyday. I love the one I have, but I don't know if i'd buy another. Also, someone just purchased colibri and is promising to honor warranties now. I have also heard that the ronson from wal-mart is the best lighter you can get and it's only 3 bucks. Trouble is, they're always out of em at my wal-mart.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    I've been using and refilling a Xikar with out too many problems.
    nsezell:
    A LOT of people hate colibri lighters here. I have 2, both firebirds, one that died before I got a chance to refill it, and one that has worked for years that I use everyday. I love the one I have, but I don't know if i'd buy another. Also, someone just purchased colibri and is promising to honor warranties now. I have also heard that the ronson from wal-mart is the best lighter you can get and it's only 3 bucks. Trouble is, they're always out of em at my wal-mart.

Yeah they never have them at mine either ...the Ronsons ...
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    Jetmech_63:
    I've had a colibri, it blew up on me.
    Same thing happened to me with one of their lighters.

To address the OP, the only trick to the butane lighters is to purge the tank when they start getting low. To do that take something pointy (I use a pocket knife) and lightly press on the fuel stem on the bottom until you don't hear any hissing anymore, then fill the sucker up. And buy a torch with a fuel window, it's really helpful and beats the heck out of guessing how much fuel you have left.

Just to add on to this incredibly helpful tip, a visual of the purge and refill...

CLICK ME
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    nsezell:
    I have to get my lighter fixed now that you mention it.
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    They are worth te investment. You hould consider a Xikar brand lighter. They are guaranteed for life just like their cutters which are second to none in my opinion.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    JZ:
    They are worth te investment. You hould consider a Xikar brand lighter. They are guaranteed for life just like their cutters which are second to none in my opinion.
    I love my Xikar lighter. It is a Xikar Exodus, soft flame and the thing is great. I haven't even used another lighter since I purchased this one, and it is pretty good on fuel.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    XIKAR!!!
    In all seriousness though, I've never used a lighter that was so reliable. Now, I don't have one of the fancy awesome ones, I have the Xikar MeanSardine lighter. The little sardine only cost me 15 clams!! Yeah, Xikar has a lighter for that's wallet friendly, the only down side is that it has a 5 year warranty instead of a lifetime, but I'm saving up for one of their really nice ones.

Bottom line, you'll never need anything else when you have Xikar.
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    nightmaremike31:
    XIKAR!!!
    In all seriousness though, I've never used a lighter that was so reliable. Now, I don't have one of the fancy awesome ones, I have the Xikar MeanSardine lighter. The little sardine only cost me 15 clams!! Yeah, Xikar has a lighter for that's wallet friendly, the only down side is that it has a 5 year warranty instead of a lifetime, but I'm saving up for one of their really nice ones.

Bottom line, you'll never need anything else when you have Xikar.
    I love the MeanSardine. It has a picture of a fish smoking a cigar on the top of it. Great stuff!!
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    I went ahead and got the Element. It's a fantastic, reliable lighter that works even after I threw it out my window, and onto cement (long story short, don't try to casually toss a lighter onto a table.) Looks and feels great, too. And yeah, I know, that's what she said.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I like my Xikar Plunge because I can always see when it's getting low.
    I have a prometheus tycoonX duece. I drop stuff alot due to rough hands with calluses on my calluses from woodworking and the like. Small smooth stuff just finds no purchase in my hands and just tends to squirt out, but the matte finish on that lighter makes it easy to hold on to. I've still dropped it a few times and it still works like new, even if it no longer looks new. Great lighter, looks cool too.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    I have a Nibo triple that works fine, but consumes fuel like its going out of style.

Then I have a $2 crack torch I picked up at a gas station 10-15 years ago that looks like crap, but it still works and i typically use this one, because if your not careful with the triple jet youll really cook your cigars.
    I finally got my ronson the other day. I swear, I looked for that thing forever! I like the weight of it, but the case just doesn't fit right around the mechanism. It's kinda loose and rattles, but when you tighten the screw on the bottom the lid doesn't shut right. I guess I'm gonna have to grind it down a bit. Also, I'm gonna have to tweak the stopper on the adjustment screw some. Not bad for 3 bucks tho.
    I shouldn't have laughed...but my buddy picked up my butane lighter and somehow decided the flame came out the other end, thus torching his finger. it was a pretty nasty burn. But then this is the same friend that decided to use my toaster to light his oney - zap, he got shocked, then hit is head on the cabinet, and then hit the floor.
    I've got an old butane lighter that looks like a little deck of cards that my fiancee got me from china a few years back, but the spark is grounded to the case somehow, cause when you snap it, it shocks the hell outta ya. I always use that as an initiation to new herf-comers...
    Theedge:
    I shouldn't have laughed...but my buddy picked up my butane lighter and somehow decided the flame came out the other end, thus torching his finger. it was a pretty nasty burn. But then this is the same friend that decided to use my toaster to light his oney - zap, he got shocked, then hit is head on the cabinet, and then hit the floor.
    Did your friend go to the "special classes" in school? Did he ride the short bus? Lastly, is he a professional boxer that holds his hands low and gets popped in the head a LOT? :)
    Theedge:
    Follow this guy around with a camcorder. You'll get rich.
    j0z3r:
    Theedge:
    Did your friend go to the "special classes" in school? Did he ride the short bus? Lastly, is he a professional boxer that holds his hands low and gets popped in the head a LOT? :)

Worse! A Musician.
    HAHA!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM in your inbox, Jetmech.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    jlmarta:
    He may not be getting that for a while, Vinny's out to sea. He said he'd have spotty (if any) internet access.
    bbc020:
    jlmarta:
    He may not be getting that for a while, Vinny's out to sea. He said he'd have spotty (if any) internet access.

If all the terrorists would just go home and play with their beards then Vinny could be here with us ...damn terrorists , may all their fuses be SHORT ...