Home Ratings & Reviews

Jameson cigars

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone tried the Jameson cigar line? I stumbled onto two reviews at RobbyRas: the Declaracion and the Santos de Miami. I kicked around the Jameson cigars site; but they are pitifully long on buzzwords and short on description, like so: "A cigar created with purpose and passion, Declaration embodies our independent spirit and inspires a statement about personal liberty, 'Smoke to be Free.'". Now, how's that tell me what this tastes like?

But there's something that tickles me here -- I don't know what it is. Six lines:

Resolucion
Declaration
Red Label
Black Label
SouthBound Series Latitude
Santos de Miami

Anyone here tried them?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Tried the Red Label, it was fantastic, need to try the whole line. When a company nails a conny, I tend to think they know what they are doing.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    A friend of mine is actually into them so I had the Red Label, which was good. I also had a La Resolucion, which is supposedly their "top of the line" flavor as I understand it. It was nice but didn't blow me away.

The Red Label was a good mild-medium smoke, which I like and was in the mood for that day. I dug it. It's well balanced throughout most of the stick which is what the mild fans usually go for. I happen to enjoy the taste of the Connecticut wrapper. I've heard many aficionados refer to it as a "chemical" aftertaste. I disagree but whatever. Someone told me to smoke a Connecticut slow so the heat doesn't turn those greener flavors bitter. So I tend to smoke these babys slow. Do that, and you'll get a great, consistent mild-medium smoke. It's stronger than say the Rocky Patel Connecticut but I found it milder than your average medium bodied sticks. I am into them and I'll get a box of these for sure once some room opens up in my coolidor.

La Resolucion was unique, i'll give it that. It's hard for me to get into it too much. I find flavors extremely subjective so I won't get into the "pepper" and "earth" type flavor themes. All I can say is that I haven't really had anything quite like it. I'd guess it was medium/full. I had a glass (or 3) of Tullamore Dew with it and the pairing didnt quite play well together so I'm probably not the best judge on this one. I felt like it was a full bodied stick. They aren't terribly expensive and they're well made. He didnt drybox them and it's probably a blend that could have used it, because it burned funny and I had to keep messing with it. But it was tasty no doubt. It's a quality smoke I'd give it a shot if you're curious.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live about 20 min from Brad's shop (the owner of Jameson), have met him and smoked a few of his sticks. Real nice guy with a cool shop!

The black label is his maduro line. Not overly spicy or leathery. Very smooth, and I found it a solid medium smoke. I don't remember too much more, as I was just hanging outside and enjoying it with a beverage last summer. I plan to grab more; they were really good.

The santos de Miami is a unique smoke. I believe a parejo version was just released, but I'd buy the box pressed version, just cause it has the slickest, sharpest press I've ever seen! Slightly sweet, slightly bitter from the criollo wrapper. Kind of a deep coffee taste, but again, not super powerful. I like these.

I have only smoked one red label, the connecticut line, and it was very mild, really grassy taste (but not bad). I would like to come back to these and see if they are so grassy, or if the one I smoked was relatively young.

The declarations are a bit stronger and spicier than the other lines. Sorry I've only had one, so can't remember much more.

I just tried the new La Resolucion around Christmas, and mine had kind of a tight draw, and all I got was some bitterness and loads of spice. I have one more I will revisit.

So, I'd recommend giving them all a try, I think they do sell samplers. My favorites are the black label, Santos, and Declaration... Rhamlin may know more, I think he has tried the southbound lines and liked them.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    webmost:
    Anyone tried the Jameson cigar line? I stumbled onto two reviews at RobbyRas: the Declaracion and the Santos de Miami. I kicked around the Jameson cigars site; but they are pitifully long on buzzwords and short on description, like so: "A cigar created with purpose and passion, Declaration embodies our independent spirit and inspires a statement about personal liberty, 'Smoke to be Free.'". Now, how's that tell me what this tastes like?

But there's something that tickles me here -- I don't know what it is. Six lines:

Resolucion
    Declaration
    Red Label
    Black Label
    SouthBound Series Latitude
    Santos de Miami

Anyone here tried them?

Thanks for checking out the site!!!

I've had them all, but have yet to review them all... The declaration and the Santos are my favorites... they are nice smokes for sure... Brad is a cool guy as well... has a line of coffee too I believe... We have Brad coming on CigarChat in March (the 21st I believe)... so yeah, i'd recommend giving them a shot
  • I would love to try them, this is the first I'm hearing about them
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put the 21st on my calendar except that your interviews always fall at dinner time on the Right Coast. Hard as heck to catch one live.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had them all. Like Gray I live 15 minutes from his shop so I'm there 3-4 times a week. They are excellent . Matter of fact I had me a Miami Santos just the other day, if I hadn't been pressed for time I think I'd have had 2. And you won't find much descriptions on them. Like me Brad doesn't go in for all that nuances of this and nuances of that malarkey. I either enjoy it or I don't .
    Anyone tried his new Southbound Series?

Rhamlin:
    I've had them all. Like Gray I live 15 minutes from his shop so I'm there 3-4 times a week. They are excellent . Matter of fact I had me a Miami Santos just the other day, if I hadn't been pressed for time I think I'd have had 2. And you won't find much descriptions on them. Like me Brad doesn't go in for all that nuances of this and nuances of that malarkey. I either enjoy it or I don't .
    Hey you can't devise much more malarkey than "A cigar created with purpose and passion...". Does not tell me a darn thing whether I'll like the stick. Tell me whether it smells like grass, whether it tastes like leather, whether the smoke reminds me of cedar. Some kind of basics.

Always Remember the WebMost Mission Statement:
    Here at WebMost, our mission is to facilitate cognitional processes within the parameters of effective paradigms, utilizing diverse stochastic and heuristic methodologies to offer unparalleled services in directed and undirected endeavors.

webmost:
    Rhamlin:
    Hey you can't devise much more malarkey than "A cigar created with purpose and passion...". Does not tell me a darn thing whether I'll like the stick. Tell me whether it smells like grass, whether it tastes like leather, whether the smoke reminds me of cedar. Some kind of basics.

Always Remember the WebMost Mission Statement:
    Here at WebMost, our mission is to facilitate cognitional processes within the parameters of effective paradigms, utilizing diverse stochastic and heuristic methodologies to offer unparalleled services in directed and undirected endeavors.

lol I call it Malarkey only because aside from the coffee, spice, cocoa and pepper most of what other people describe in cigars I just don't taste it. But then I gave up on all that long ago. It took the enjoyment out of trying to develop my "palate" But I know there are many people who do get their enjoyment from a cigar by being able to discern the various nuances. However a person gets their enjoyment from a good stick that's what they need to do. I just feel there's to much emphasis on it. As far as the Southbound goes its very good, I can't believe he sells it so cheap.
    Thats kinda what I was saying earlier. Alot of those flavor buzzwords are very subjective. I would describe that Red Label as a stronger Rocky Patel Connecticut... which has been described positively as "a mellow smoke with hints of oats, nuts, and butter." Then other reviews I've read of the RP Conny say it tastes like chemical jet fuel about halfway down lol. To each their own I guess.
    "Subjective" is a cop out. Length can be measured, but for all we know, length may be perceived differently by different people. That perception is irrelevant precisely because the measure gives us a reference for comparison. Color, they say, is made of a spectrum. For all we know, what you see as green I see as blue. That doesn't prevent you from saying blue and me knowing right away what you mean by that. It's the same with flavor. It may well be that what I taste as leather you taste as apples. For all I know, your entire subjective flavor spectrum may differ. That doesn't prevent me from knowing what you mean when you say: "It tastes like apples to me." Quite the contrary. Once both of us have tasted an apple, we have a frame of reference. Sure, there will be exceptions to test the rule. But there will still be an apple taste.

Any field of knowledge begins with taxonomy. We describe and group. Classification sorts out biology, elements sort out chemistry, grammar sorts language, that's how we learn. The "to each his own" cop out does not add a thing to knowledge. Each throwing his own impression into the ring to get sorted out, that's what adds to knowledge.

Blue is a color. Unless you have a disease process that inhibits you from perceiving the color, you see it the same blue everyone else does. Apples taste like apples, and unless you can't taste them due to an issue with yoru pallate or your brain, you will always taste apples when you eat one.

A cigar with "notes of leather and earth" does not taste like a dirty baseball glove. Cigar flavors are more abstract and we do the best to describe as we can, but they aren't as clear cut as the sight of the color blue or the taste of apples.
    Big T smokes:
    Blue is a color. Unless you have a disease process that inhibits you from perceiving the color, you see it the same blue everyone else does. Apples taste like apples, and unless you can't taste them due to an issue with I was browsing through the walk in humidor of a new to me B&M ladt Wednesday with my smart phone in one hand googling reviews.

yoru pallate or your brain, you will always taste apples when you eat one.

A cigar with "notes of leather and earth" does not taste like a dirty baseball glove. Cigar flavors are more abstract and we do the best to describe as we can, but they aren't as clear cut as the sight of the color blue or the taste of apples.
    With all due respect, Big T, I submit that if this sort of analogy did not work for you at all, then you would not be wasting your time in the ratings and review section of this forum. At least, that's sure why I come here. I was in a new-to-me B&M Wednesday. Had my smart phone in hand. Helped me decide on a C&C Corojo and an AF Gran Reserva. Had I stumbled onto a Jameson at that shop, I could not have found out anything about it, so I would have moved on. Jameson would have lost the sale.

Next time my motorcycle travels take me through Huntington, I'll drop by his shop and propose this thought to him and see what he has to say.

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    Thats kinda what I was saying earlier. Alot of those flavor buzzwords are very subjective. I would describe that Red Label as a stronger Rocky Patel Connecticut... which has been described positively as "a mellow smoke with hints of oats, nuts, and butter." Then other reviews I've read of the RP Conny say it tastes like chemical jet fuel about halfway down lol. To each their own I guess.

I absolutely agree "Buzz Words" are all subjective. Earth to one person might be grass to another. Taste and smell is totally different then color. Color as you mentioned can be measured on a spectrum... Taste can not. What did you have to drink before and/or during your smoke? What was the PH in your mouth? Pallet burnout?

I 100% agree to each their own.
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Big T smokes:
    Blue is a color. Unless you have a disease process that inhibits you from perceiving the color, you see it the same blue everyone else does. Apples taste like apples, and unless you can't taste them due to an issue with I was browsing through the walk in humidor of a new to me B&M ladt Wednesday with my smart phone in one hand googling reviews.

With all due respect, Big T, I submit that if this sort of analogy did not work for you at all, then you would not be wasting your time in the ratings and review section of this forum. At least, that's sure why I come here. I was in a new-to-me B&M Wednesday. Had my smart phone in hand. Helped me decide on a C&C Corojo and an AF Gran Reserva. Had I stumbled onto a Jameson at that shop, I could not have found out anything about it, so I would have moved on. Jameson would have lost the sale.

Next time my motorcycle travels take me through Huntington, I'll drop by his shop and propose this thought to him and see what he has to say.

So you go by other people tastes or what an advertisement says? You should smoke Nick's Stick Maduro then. It tastes like winning the lottery. Smells like the armpits of an angels and burns like an Olympic torch....
    Didn't mean to bash anybody Vision. Discussing whether it's possible to get a notion what something tastes like before blowing six bucks and an evening.

Did not care for Nick's Sticks.

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Vision:
    webmost:
    Big T smokes:

With all due respect, Big T, I submit that if this sort of analogy did not work for you at all, then you would not be wasting your time in the ratings and review section of this forum. At least, that's sure why I come here. I was in a new-to-me B&M Wednesday. Had my smart phone in hand. Helped me decide on a C&C Corojo and an AF Gran Reserva. Had I stumbled onto a Jameson at that shop, I could not have found out anything about it, so I would have moved on. Jameson would have lost the sale. Where can I get some???????

So you go by other people tastes or what an advertisement says? You should smoke Nick's Stick Maduro then. It tastes like winning the lottery. Smells like the armpits of an angels and burns like an Olympic torch....
    Where can I get some?????
    webmost:
    Didn't mean to bash anybody Vision. Discussing whether it's possible to get a notion what something tastes like before blowing six bucks and an evening.

Did not care for Nick's Sticks.

I'm not saying you can't get a relative idea of what a cigar will be like by talking to other smokers, reading reviews, etc. I'm simply taking exception to you saying I'm "copping out" when I PERSONALLY feel certain flavors are subjective. All I'm trying to say here.

I feel that's a separate issue from what Jamison's doing because I checked out their site and on a few brands, they do nothing to attempt to describe the flavor of the cigar and what they are going for. So I agree with you there that there's a few brands that need new write ups on their site.

As far as reviews go, for me (I dont speak for anyone else), I get an idea if a cigar is something I'd like by following a short list of people who talk about cigars. I can identify with how THEY describe cigars, because I generally see eye to eye with them. And of course, I'll disagree from time to time but it's a baseline not a hard law I must follow at all costs. I read new topics and forums so that I can add to this list of people. But if I went solely by buzzwords like "notes of pepper and oak" I'd buy every damn cigar on the planet.
    Fair enough, Big T.

Having me this 6x58 Declaration right now at Brads shop. It's a great smoke.image
    Dang. I know I'll miss this podcast tonight. It will be 8 pm here. I'll be tied up with TOWMBO time or sumpin.

Rhamlin:
    Having me this 6x58 Declaration right now at Brads shop. It's a great smoke.image
    Im jealous Ricky! I need to order some more.
  • Dunn2Dunn2 Posts: 23
    Had a Resolucion this morning with a cup of hot tea perfect way to start of the morning
    A sad day for me. Brad is closing his shop he'll still be selling his goodies online and thru other retailers but my place of refuge is gone as of today. I think I'm gonna go and have a good cry now.??
    Well shet. I was hoping to drop by there this summer.

Rhamlin:
    A sad day for me. Brad is closing his shop he'll still be selling his goodies online and thru other retailers but my place of refuge is gone as of today. I think I'm gonna go and have a good cry now.??
    Daaaaammnnn.... First no more smoking in the Squire, now no more Jameson's shop. I hate to say it, but I'm glad I am moving!!! You are right, nowhere left to go have a smoke (indoors).

I imagine Brad didn't get a whole lot of foot traffic. I never once saw that plaza crowded.