Home Cigar 101

Plastic wrapper or no plastic wrapper?

I have searched this forum and can't find the answer. My every day cigar is a Perdomo Fresco. They come in a Mazo of 25 thats wrapped in plastic. Each individual cigar is in its own sleeve. Do I store my cigars in my humidor in the plastic wrapper that it comes in or take each out of its wrapper? Thanks

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know most, if not all the responses after this will be the same.... Its up to you really. Cello will protect the cigar, some will say they like the flavor of an aged cigar without the cello on and some will say there is no difference in taste. Store them as you see fit bro. It really comes down to you and what you like.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    What vision said and depends on long term or short term aging...I like how the stack with the cellos on though
    Money can't buy taste
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    jackbaker1967:
    I have searched this forum and can't find the answer. My every day cigar is a Perdomo Fresco. They come in a Mazo of 25 thats wrapped in plastic. Each individual cigar is in its own sleeve. Do I store my cigars in my humidor in the plastic wrapper that it comes in or take each out of its wrapper? Thanks
    Take the outer plastic wrapper off that the mazo is packed in. I think we can all agree on that ?!? As for the cello covering each cigar, my personal preference is to leave it on to protect the sticks.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roberto99:
    jackbaker1967:
    Take the outer plastic wrapper off that the mazo is packed in. I think we can all agree on that ?!? As for the cello covering each cigar, my personal preference is to leave it on to protect the sticks.
    #1 I like to take the outer wrap off just because it makes it easier to arrange in the humi but lots of guys leave it on. It's personal preference really.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Rhamlin:
    Roberto99:
    jackbaker1967:
    #1 I like to take the outer wrap off just because it makes it easier to arrange in the humi but lots of guys leave it on. It's personal preference really.
    I stand corrected, we can't agree on taking the outer plastic wrapper off! LOL! I was thinking the outer plastic would block the humidity from getting to the sticks but it's probably not air tight either.
  • Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the cigar smoking world. The cello on a cigar is actually a wood pulp product made from cellulose. It does breath and allow for a transfer of air and humidity. If you take a cello and burn it, it will smell like burning paper and won't melt like plastic. The wrapping that is used on bundles and 5 packs however is often a plastic base.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    good to know
  • bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    Interesting. I didn't know it was a wood based product.
  • Thanks guys. I recieved a valuable education on this thread!!! I always take the cigars out of the outter plastic and leave them in the celo thinking it was just plastic as well. I appreciate all the responses!!

Jack
  • Andrew Dzikoski:
    This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the cigar smoking world. The cello on a cigar is actually a wood pulp product made from cellulose. It does breath and allow for a transfer of air and humidity. If you take a cello and burn it, it will smell like burning paper and won't melt like plastic. The wrapping that is used on bundles and 5 packs however is often a plastic base.
    Oh I didn't know that! Answers some questions that I had xD.
  • Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    I used to keep the cello off for aesthetic purposes. I just thought they looked nicer in my humi naked. But I nicked a nice stick a couple times and that poor attempt at snobbery went right out the window. I've been keepin the cello on every since.

I've heard that cigars age better without the cello. But i've smoked some really great cigars with the cello on while aging and they were damn tasty too so I mean... it's a matter of preference. I personally keep them on nowadays because they're protected.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andrew Dzikoski:
    Thanks for the info. I always thought it was cello.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I like cello..just because I don't get loose 'baco in my humi.
  • I cut both ends of the cellophane exposing both ends of the cigar slightly. When they are in the humidor the cigars can breathe, but it also allows you to handle them without damaging the outside.
    Hope this idea helps!
  • CrouseferCrousefer Posts: 445 ✭✭
    I leave them in the cello to keep em safe from nicks. I used to cut just the open end to let it breath, but now i just put em in there.
  • I normally leave the wrapper on, but I also have no concerns with my cigars aging in the humidor - the problem with them disappearing too fast is much more immanent... and for the few months they stay in the box, it most likely does not make a difference...