Home Ratings & Reviews

AFGR breva

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
The actual name of this stick is "Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Hemingway Short Story Perfecto". I'm sorry, but that's just way too much name for such a teeny stick. She weighs in at a mere 4 x 49; but even so, that 49 ring gauge is at the fattest bulb of it. Time you get back to the head, it's maybe 40 gauge or less. I bought it because it's a trick stick. I'm thinking most people who bought it liked the trick appearance. A pear-shaped breva.

I neglected to take a pic myself, so I snitched one off the innernet:
(Check out the clever name of the site where I found this: cigarnovicionado, a cigar novice blog. I like the name.)

This little gem was wound tight as a drum and wrapped perfectly. Maximum artistry in the minimum package. Mild leathery taste and odor to the wrapper. Couldn't get an odor out of the foot because it's almost sealed there. Uncapped in a snap. Drew tight.

Of course, that tiny foot aperture lit right off. Then you get hit with an amazing volume of smoke for such a wee stick. Creamy top notch leather. As the burn reaches the bulb, you get tremendous volume. Thick clinging smoke. Strong leather finish, dry leather retro, creamy leather on the tongue. Firm light grey ash. Nice aroma in the room.

But it's awkward. The fat bulb toward the foot makes this little thing feel unbalanced. You set it in the groove and it seems like it wants to fall in the ashtray. The skinny part between your teeth is too small to roll round and enjoy. As the burn proceeds down toward the skinny bit, heat seems to concentrate, until it's hard to find a handy way to hold it. The trick stick aspect is more entertaining in the humidor than it is in use. For the money, I ought to have smokes the same stick in a decent size.

I got forty minutes out of this. A real enjoyable stink finger, all leathery sweet tobacco. Ample morning mouth, still flavorful and leathery. Not so much of a wheeze as an exhale. I can cup my palm right now, breathe into it, and catch a delicious leathery cigar aroma. Very nice.

I gave this three and a half stars. A robusto of the same could easily score four and a half or even five.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    I gave this three and a half stars. A robusto of the same could easily score four and a half or even five.

Can you elaborate? Did you score it down due to its size? If so there is a larger vitola, The Best Seller and Work of Art. The entire line is perfecto shaped.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    webmost:

Can you elaborate? Did you score it down due to its size? If so there is a larger vitola, The Best Seller and Work of Art. The entire line is perfecto shaped.
    Size and shape combined to make an awkward, short, and hot experience. The little gimmick does not work for me. I think the same blend longer would make a top quality smoke.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I had much the same experience. It started out as a good tasting Fuente, building and producing lots of smoke and flavor. The bulge part was perfect like a big fat NUB. Then it turned. Got hot, started to burn awkwardly and got kinda strong. I let it cool a bit and worked on it, but to no avail. I dropped it when a giant goop of black sluge dripped out of the head.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    yuck.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to lean toward the best seller size...the short story is a great smoke but does need to be handled and smoked in a certain manner. I like them and really like the maduros!! But they tend to be harder to stack in the humi lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I had much the same experience. It started out as a good tasting Fuente, building and producing lots of smoke and flavor. The bulge part was perfect like a big fat NUB. Then it turned. Got hot, started to burn awkwardly and got kinda strong. I let it cool a bit and worked on it, but to no avail. I dropped it when a giant goop of black sluge dripped out of the head.
    I hear it isn't fun when you have something in your mouth and then it starts to ooze some stuff out ... ;-)

About the fuente, I have had this little guy, it got too hot for me as well. I like the WOA and WOA maduro. Good size and it didn't get too hot near the end.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love those. The "signature" even more.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain