Home Cigar 101

another nube question:p

Sol1821Sol1821 Posts: 707 ✭✭

Bit of a nube question but I have this

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=SP-GHASST25

Will it be ok to keep the cigars in this box? It seems to have an ok seal, I’ve taken 2 of them out to make room for a water pillow and I’ve nicked my mini hygrometer from my secondary humidor which is reading a constant 67% rh, but it’s right next to the water pillow. There doesn’t seem to be much empty space in the box so I was just wondering if you think the humidity will be constant throughout or not.

My first purchase that came with a box, and it’s such a nice box I don’t want to not use it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sol  

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    A humidor is nothing more than a box that can maintain the proper humidity - people use tupperware and it works perfectly (though an airtight container isn't ideal, so those people typically need to open the tupperware every so often). So long as you can maintain the seal/proper RH while allowing some airflow, any container will work
  • xmacro:
    A humidor is nothing more than a box that can maintain the proper humidity - people use tupperware and it works perfectly (though an airtight container isn't ideal, so those people typically need to open the tupperware every so often). So long as you can maintain the seal/proper RH while allowing some airflow, any container will work

+ 1

That box will be fine, as long as you aim to maintain some sort of humidity/temperature control, which you're doing already.

When you walk into a walk-in humidor at your local tobacconist, you probably noticed that the cigars are stored in their original boxes, with some sort of humidification/temperature control. Same concept, you're just doing it in a smaller quantity
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im sure that short term this will be fine, but I didnt see that this is a humidor, so long term, you are going to get them into a humidor. If you find that this things keeps your RH where you want it over a long period of time, why worry.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I think you would be okay. I have a lot of boxes in plastic tubs, until I can get a large humi.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I think you would be okay. I have a lot of boxes in plastic tubs, until I can get a large humi.

I don't think any of us will every satisfy the need for a larger humi. I'm on the prowl or a larger humi myself. I'm a sucker for these deals ccom keeps having... so I'm trying to burn some room in my humi for the forum blend coming up... I've got my tuppers and humi maxed out.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I hear ya. I've found some nice cabinet's at a good price, just need some humi cash.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    t.walrabenstein:
    When you walk into a walk-in humidor at your local tobacconist, you probably noticed that the cigars are stored in their original boxes, with some sort of humidification/temperature control. Same concept, you're just doing it in a smaller quantity
    The main difference here is that a walk in humidor is a humidor, a box is not. I'm not saying a box won't work for storing cigars as long as it is properly humidified, but comparing a single box to a walk in containing boxes is not very accurate.