Home Ratings & Reviews

Oliva Conny

mmmmmmm... Tryied the Oliva conny last night. It was pretty doggone good. I followed it up with a short RP Nording, which was nice step-up in strength and flavor. Oliva is still my favorite brand. I drank Yuengling B&T and Sweetwater's Georgia Brown, both paired well with each smoke.

Comments

• FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Oliva CT Reserve is now my favorite CT!

My friend Brian, who passed away two weeks ago from ALS, introduced me to Yuengling back in 2003. I love this beer brand. I wish I could get it up here in MA.

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    sorry about your friend. I gotta get some more of those things and let them rest more than 4 hours lol. I got my first Yuengling back in 04...still my fave.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I really like the Oliva Connecticut as well, I think they've done everything right to make a blend work with a Conn. wrapper. Hats off to Oliva for this one.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    Just finished one off...

Good solid burn, construction, and consistency. I really didn't pick up too much complexity unfortunately. I still need to refine my palatte undoubtly, but what flavors did you guys pick up? Is that consistent flavor more natural tobacco and leather or is it something else? Using a somewhat limited retrohaul I did pick up some spice occassionally just not consistently. Any other thoughts or did I totally miss what you guys got?

Rob
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Bibby:
    Just finished one off...

Good solid burn, construction, and consistency. I really didn't pick up too much complexity unfortunately. I still need to refine my palatte undoubtly, but what flavors did you guys pick up? Is that consistent flavor more natural tobacco and leather or is it something else? Using a somewhat limited retrohaul I did pick up some spice occassionally just not consistently. Any other thoughts or did I totally miss what you guys got?

Rob
    I think the real question here is, "Did you enjoy it?"

Of the couple Oliva Conny's I've had, I found them pretty pleasant. Not completely mild either, a good medium bodied conny.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Bad Andy:
    sorry about your friend. I gotta get some more of those things and let them rest more than 4 hours lol. I got my first Yuengling back in 04...still my fave.
    I will have to try this conni. The Yuengling, what would you compare it too? I don't have any around me, but a lot of you rave about it. The black & tan looks good, btw. I've had a lot of beer, but some really stand out, samuel adams boston lager, Blue Moon, Young's double chocolate beer (bottle pint), Rogue Mocha Stout, Rogue cherry wheat (only had it at the brewery), widmere heffi. Those are some of my favs. There was an oatmeal stout I loved but can't remember who made it. Rogue had a good one though.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:
    I will have to try this conni. The Yuengling, what would you compare it too? I don't have any around me, but a lot of you rave about it. The black & tan looks good, btw. I've had a lot of beer, but some really stand out, samuel adams boston lager, Blue Moon, Young's double chocolate beer (bottle pint), Rogue Mocha Stout, Rogue cherry wheat (only had it at the brewery), widmere heffi. Those are some of my favs. There was an oatmeal stout I loved but can't remember who made it. Rogue had a good one though.
    I love Sam Adams, and I like Yuengling much better.
  • bibbybibby Posts: 152
    bbc020:
    I think the real question here is, "Did you enjoy it?"

Of the couple Oliva Conny's I've had, I found them pretty pleasant. Not completely mild either, a good medium bodied conny.

I get you on that; very pleasant easy smoke. I think that describes it perfectly. I was just wondering if anyone had a little more on what tastes they picked up.

Rob
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:
    Squirrel, need to try New Belgium's Fat Tire and 1554. 1554 is a dark stout, very chocalatey and rich. Great beers...
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I had the Oliva Conny before and enjoyed it. I must admit though, I enjoyed the RP Conny a little bit more. Also, Yuengling originated, and is still made, in Pottsville, PA which is about an hour away from me. They give you two free samples at the end of every tour of the factory! It is my favorite beer and one that I always turn to. That's probably why I have a keg of it at all times......
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    cholmes8310:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:
    Squirrel, need to try New Belgium's Fat Tire and 1554. 1554 is a dark stout, very chocalatey and rich. Great beers...

i LOVE THE FAT TIRE
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:
    The Yuengling B&T is lighter but the flavor is still there. Chocolate undertones but not overpowering with like a light bittersweet taste. hope that helps.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    gmill880:
    cholmes8310:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:

i LOVE THE FAT TIRE
    me too... but 1554 is better
    Hugemoose:
    I had the Oliva Conny before and enjoyed it. I must admit though, I enjoyed the RP Conny a little bit more. Also, Yuengling originated, and is still made, in Pottsville, PA which is about an hour away from me. They give you two free samples at the end of every tour of the factory! It is my favorite beer and one that I always turn to. That's probably why I have a keg of it at all times......
    Im jealous!
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    cholmes8310:
    gmill880:
    cholmes8310:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Bad Andy:

i LOVE THE FAT TIRE
    me too... but 1554 is better

I will need to try the 1554 ...