Home General Discussion
Options

Gin and Tonic pairing

I LOVE me some Gin and Tonic. In the winter I drink it less but it's been in the mid 40s which, to me, is pretty nice weather so I've been trying to go outside with a gin and tonic. It never went well with cigars for me. The two flavors never really blended well. Now I tend to smoke milds and my go-tos last summer were Gran Habano Connecticut, RP Connecticut, and Carlos Torano Dominicos. So mild so say the least.

Was I taking the wrong approach? Any G and T drinkers have suggestions for me?

Comments

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a huge fan of Gin and Tonic. Ones I have ATM...Bombay (all), Hendricks, Beefeater Dry and Van Gogh (my favorite). If I am drinking Gin I am not smoking cigars. I have yet to find one that pairs well. I do enjoy them with more Gin then Tonic most of the time so that could be why. I also always have a small slice of lime in my GT which I know will effect it. Come to think of it... I cant think of any "Clears" that I enjoy with a cigar.
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 to your first sentence, Tanqueray being my fav. I call it my "Christmas Tree drink". It never went well with a cigar though so you're not alone. Nothing else to really say. They just don't go.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I like a cold Bombay Sapphire from time to time, but no to the smoke. It just doesn't do well with Gin. Lemon or lime makes it worse. Also, a martini with olives doesn't work for me either.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Interesting. Well at least it's not just me. I'll have to stick to my trusty whiskey when I wanna drink n smoke :-)

For the record, I'd like to recommend a nice, cheap gin for G and T's. It's called New Amsterdam. It's got hints of citrus and sweetness, which really play well off of the lime and tonic in the drink. The Bombay Saffire is delish too, but I feel like New Amsterdam is a little more versatile because it tastes better in martinis and doesn't overpower with the citrus like the Bombay Saffire does. Plus it's about $20 for a big bottle of it :-)
  • Options
    bbass2bbass2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭
    That's in the same category as IPAs for me. I love em, but it's not even an option if I'm smoking.
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Juniper berries don't go well with cigars. Try Hendricks Gin for a Cucumber Martini. No, a real one, not that bullshit made with rubbing alcohol.
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    ::googles hendricks cucumber martini::

omg thank you sir... you may have saved my life
  • Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Please note that for the full experience, you may be required to wear a monocle while sipping on it.