Home Cigar 101

Mold on humidifier

While checking my boxes today I noticed a couple spots of mold on 2 of my humidifier pieces. I am pretty fed up with these things (the ones with the green spongy material in them). The spots weren't visible this morning, but they were at the bottom and wettest side and I am glad I didn't lay them flat and have the spots go completely unnoticed. The directions for these is to allow them an hour to sit before putting them in your box but that doesn't seem long enough. I put all my smokes in plastic baggies for now, as a precaution, until I can get this humidification issue worked out. As a newb, I feel inclined to ask.. Has anyone else had issues with these? Guess I'll go hit up that kitty litter thread again...

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    I think, in the history of cigar smoking, that everyone who has used thise things has had issues.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Rain:
    I think, in the history of cigar smoking, that everyone who has used these things has had issues.
    Really! Throw those green spongy things out. Save the plastic housing they come in if you can and put silica beads in them instead. Not only does the sponge increase your chances of mold but the effort you will have to put into keeping your humidity stable is just too great.
  • Sweetleaf69Sweetleaf69 Posts: 43
    Ha, excellent! Good stuff to know. Beads are on the way as fast as the mail will take them ;)
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Wise choice brother. I had mold issues one time years ago - i was still using the sponge humidifier things. Switched to beads and have not had a problem since.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    And just to expand on the beads a little bit - beads will not only add moisture to the air, they will absorb it too when the moisture is too high, whereas the sponge thing will only add humidity. I use the 65% beads so in theory they will absorb moisture when my RH exceeds 65% (unless they are already saturated, then you just need to take them out for a bit).
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's probably a hundred different threads on this.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Sweetleaf69:
    While checking my boxes today I noticed a couple spots of mold on 2 of my humidifier pieces. I am pretty fed up with these things (the ones with the green spongy material in them). The spots weren't visible this morning, but they were at the bottom and wettest side and I am glad I didn't lay them flat and have the spots go completely unnoticed. The directions for these is to allow them an hour to sit before putting them in your box but that doesn't seem long enough. I put all my smokes in plastic baggies for now, as a precaution, until I can get this humidification issue worked out. As a newb, I feel inclined to ask.. Has anyone else had issues with these? Guess I'll go hit up that kitty litter thread again...
    First thing is first...don't ever use the green crap!! Most humis come with them since they are cheap!! Same goes for the hygrometer...if its not digital chuck it for a new one!! Plus make sure you calibrate it!!!!! There are so many threads on this issue that it seems like a broken record. But please feel free to search the archives and you will find the same answers. Good luck and put some research into it...there are many ways to get things running better in your humi
    Money can't buy taste
  • Sweetleaf69Sweetleaf69 Posts: 43
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Sweetleaf69:
    First thing is first...don't ever use the green crap!! Most humis come with them since they are cheap!! Same goes for the hygrometer...if its not digital chuck it for a new one!! Plus make sure you calibrate it!!!!! There are so many threads on this issue that it seems like a broken record. But please feel free to search the archives and you will find the same answers. Good luck and put some research into it...there are many ways to get things running better in your humi
    Thanks. Yeah, found plenty on the hygrometers. Luckily, I have several digital around and marked the analog hygrometers that came with the humidors as reading several % points too low. That was expected, though. I don't know if I wasn't searching it correctly or using the correct verbiage, but I did not find very much on the green spongy crap...