Home Cigar 101

Looking for Cigar Recommendation

So I'm getting married later this year, and I'm planning a night of cigars and whiskey with my groomsmen. My knowledge of cigars is pretty limited, so I'm looking for suggestions. We'll be drinking Woodford Reserve (neat). I'm shooting for a quality cigar that pairs well, preferably sold in boxes of ~10. My initial search has lead me to Man O' War Special Edition, but I will happily defer to you all. Many thanks.

Comments

• allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Stick with something medium-body that's less likely to kill people who haven't smoked cigars before. I'd say something like the Ramon Bueso on the sprint sale this weekend. Or something with a Connecticut wrapper with a medium body, San Lotano Connecticut comes to mind.
  • A good ol Macanudo or a Don Diego would be a good quality mild-medium smoke.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    If your buddies don't know jack about cigars, just take the bands off some White Owls and tell them it's a $30 cigar. Never know the difference.

Now if that's a suggestion you don't like, just buy some Cohiba's - everyone knows the Cohiba brand name and easily associates it with top quality, so they'll be impressed/very happy to smoke them

• CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    I see Casa Dr Garcia's handed out at Weddings alot. 5 Vegas Gold are nice and mild!!!
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    I see Casa de Garcia's handed out at Weddings alot. 5 Vegas Gold are nice and mild!!!
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u only need 10 smokes, look at the custom sampler here, u can get 10 really good cigars for 49.95. Some good brands to, Mow, 5 Vegas gold, or diesel.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i agree with the guys above.

i am a newer smoker myself and some of the MOW series are pretty full bodied. I smoked a regular old MOW as one of my first smokes and it left me a little light headed.

I would go with the 5 Vegas Gold Double Nickel. the box is impressive, the band looks really cool, and it is a good smoke for not too premium of a price......if you order it from here, you get a cool cutter with the purchase.
  • sludevilsludevil Posts: 3
    Thanks for the help, everyone - I really appreciate it. Going with a milder cigar definitely seems like a good call. If I had to guess, I'd say probably about half of my groomsmen can spot the difference between a premium and a cheap cigar. The rest of us (including myself) are newer/inexperienced smokers. The 5 Vegas Gold looks like it could fit the bill here. I'm also looking at the CAO Gold (any thoughts on this one?). And, again, thanks for all the suggestions - please keep em coming.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I tend to treat the CAO Gold as a breakfast cigar... great with coffee. I tend to prefer a fuller body later in the day. That being said the CAO Gold Maduro is a nice compromise.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sludevil:
    Thanks for the help, everyone - I really appreciate it. Going with a milder cigar definitely seems like a good call. If I had to guess, I'd say probably about half of my groomsmen can spot the difference between a premium and a cheap cigar. The rest of us (including myself) are newer/inexperienced smokers. The 5 Vegas Gold looks like it could fit the bill here. I'm also looking at the CAO Gold (any thoughts on this one?). And, again, thanks for all the suggestions - please keep em coming.
    eh, I'd go with a CAO america. They are not too expensive, they look rad, and they are one of my favs. A med smoke.
  • sludevilsludevil Posts: 3
    Ok, one last thought: How about Ave Maria? A little more robust than what has been suggested, but may pair better with whiskey? Again, thanks for the help.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    If your buddies don't know jack about cigars, just take the bands off some White Owls and tell them it's a $30 cigar. Never know the difference.

Now if that's a suggestion you don't like, just buy some Cohiba's - everyone knows the Cohiba brand name and easily associates it with top quality, so they'll be impressed/very happy to smoke them

I wonder if this has ever turned someone off to the cigar hobby. If someone gave me a Zodian, said it was a 30 buck stick...I'd be like "Well if this is what 30 bucks gets me, I'll never be able to afford to get in to the hobby."
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    sludevil:
    Ok, one last thought: How about Ave Maria? A little more robust than what has been suggested, but may pair better with whiskey? Again, thanks for the help.
    this is a good call.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    sludevil:
    Naw man, I'd go for the AVO Classic. Classy Medium cigar, allmost everyone likes them. Approachable by novices. Consistant quality and won't break the bank. That's what I'm doing this summer for a wedding ;-)
  • Personally, I'd go for Padron 3000. Phenomenal cigar, great brand recognition, it has plenty of flavor and it won't make you puke.
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I used to try to keep a couple White band Montechristo's around for newer smokers. The Alec Bradley connecticut comes to mind. Even the La Riqueza is a good medium smoke and not too spendy. However, I also very much agree with the Ave Maria reccomendation too.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    sludevil:
    this is a good call.
    Agreed. A lot of "new to cigar" people really enjoy this cigar.