Home Cigar 101

Retrohale question

Is retrohaling (sp?) supposed to burn the living daylights out of your sinuses? I just tried it for the first time and my sinuses screamed at me and gave me a wicked headache. That said I can now taste a whole bunch of pepper in this 262 Revere....

Comments

• rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    That's ok and normal. Start with semi-retrohale then slowly move into full retrohale. A little practice and time will fix the problem. If you want to enjoy the full flavors, aroma and background note than there is no substitute of retrohale.
    RoosterTX:
    Is retrohaling (sp?) supposed to burn the living daylights out of your sinuses? I just tried it for the first time and my sinuses screamed at me and gave me a wicked headache. That said I can now taste a whole bunch of pepper in this 262 Revere....
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    BTW, welcome to the forum Nathan.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    RoosterTX:
    yeah lol certain sticks have much more spice to them!! My suggestion would be to maybe go a tad milder on a stick. Something that isn't very peppery is always a good way to break in your nostrals lol. But you should also try what rip has said
    Money can't buy taste
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Only retro the last half of the exhale for sure. Once you get used to it, the burn will subside. However, the retro is a very good indicator of the quality of tobacco IMO. The interaction of the retro and the exhale on your palette will open up the profile to your senses.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Also, if you scorch the foot then retro...um, yeah,I retro just about every hit.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RoosterTX:
    Just be thankful it wasn't a punisher those first few puffs thru the nose will wake you up.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh you might also want to avoid the mow ruination as it will take out your nose hair if your not ready for it lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • RoosterTXRoosterTX Posts: 16
    Thanks guy. I bucked up, retrohaled smaller amounts, and my sinuses got used to it. Able to taste a lot more cocoa and pepper than previously. Love learning new things.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    RoosterTX:
    Thanks guy. I bucked up, retrohaled smaller amounts, and my sinuses got used to it. Able to taste a lot more cocoa and pepper than previously. Love learning new things.
    also try it on milder cigars. you will get less burn and more flavor.
    example: Avo classic, Avo XO and Davidoff thousand series can have a 100% retrohale with no issue, no burn and flavors you wont get just through the mouth.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    You will get a burn until you do it right. It takes time and short periods of uncomfortableness.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Or you can just Retrohale some Intensos, burn the nose hair out clean out the sinuses and the rest will be a breeze! LOL
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    Or you can just Retrohale some Intensos, burn the nose hair out clean out the sinuses and the rest will be a breeze! LOL
    mmm One of my favorites. Seems I'm always having to order them.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Just a quick plug - pipe tobacco doesn't burn when you retrohale. I can sit out on the porch and retrohale some Frog Morton for 2 hrs, every puff, and not get burned once Big Smile [:D]
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    RoosterTX:
    also try it on milder cigars. you will get less burn and more flavor.
    example: Avo classic, Avo XO and Davidoff thousand series can have a 100% retrohale with no issue, no burn and flavors you wont get just through the mouth.
    agreed, also for some reason I have similiar experiences with a good conny broadleaf Maduro when it is blended medium.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Just a quick plug - pipe tobacco doesn't burn when you retrohale. I can sit out on the porch and retrohale some Frog Morton for 2 hrs, every puff, and not get burned once Big Smile [:D]
    Nice, isn't it?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Oh, it's quite delightful. Once the molasses (or whatever it is) casing wears off, it's 2 hours of bliss with whatever I'm reading