Home Cigar 101

Where to get Spanish Cedar for shelves

catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
Hey guys, I'm curious as to where one might get Spanish Cedar to make some shelves. I'm thinking about making some for my wineador, nothing fancy, but to maximize space really. LMK, I've seen online retailers, but is this something one can buy locally at the hardware store?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Local lumber store is where I got mine. I never even knew there was one near where I lived before I googled for it
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Local lumber store is where I got mine. I never even knew there was one near where I lived before I googled for it
    +1
    I got mine from our local woodcraft store (it's a chain though so might be one near you)

Also there's some other online sites mentioned on these threads:
    http://cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/306382.aspx
    http://cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/558866.aspx

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Intersting... I'll call around a couple local stores. I need to make the most of my room in the wineador and do not want to spend much really. I figure it should be relatively easy. I'd like to maximize them for circulation ad storage purposes. If I do it, I'll post pics
    catfishbluezz:
    Intersting... I'll call around a couple local stores. I need to make the most of my room in the wineador and do not want to spend much really. I figure it should be relatively easy. I'd like to maximize them for circulation ad storage purposes. If I do it, I'll post pics
    Good luck dude. I wanna say woodcraft sold it for around $5/board foot when I bought it last time....

catfishbluezz:
    It's really pretty easy to do. I measured the wine racks, front and back (found out the racks actually narrow toward the front), figured what thickness I needed, and just went out to the lumber store. After I bought the board, I just had the lumber store cut it for me to the thickness I needed, then cut the lengths I needed. All I had to do was hammer everything together and stick it in.

I went with a slatted bottom for my drawers, the better to let air flow and crumbs fall out
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a 10 foot plank sitting here in my room.... pm incomming
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    I get a plank thinking ab wineadors too, man...
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    ..where can I get a wineador?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    amazon has wine fridges. Also, maybe a lowes or home depot?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    Wine Enthusiast has sales every now and then; free shipping saves about $100, but then again, Amazon has free shipping for orders over $25 and an awesome return policy
  • VisionVision Posts: 7,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Vision:
    I get a plank thinking ab wineadors too, man...

Thats what it WAS for... My best friend (other then my wife incase she reads this) was going to make them in his work's shop... then he got fired... I am shelling out $230 for drawers...... meh..
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I get my Spanish Cedar at a hardwoods dealer within driving distance from my house. Last time I bought some it was about $6/bf if I recall correctly. If you consider a board foot is a piece of wood 1"x12"x12" you quickly realize how crazy expensive most online sources are. Call around and I bet you'll find someplace. I doubt any hardware stores will have it, it's a specialty wood. Good luck, bro!
  • nickiamnickiam Posts: 608 ✭✭
    I was going to mention a Woodcraft store also, but mr. gibson beat me to it
    nickiam:
    I was going to mention a Woodcraft store also, but mr. gibson beat me to it
    Slow poke.... ;-)

• prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    They sell it at Rockler.com by the board. Not cheap, but convenient. I have used Rockler before and can recommend their service and quality.

• JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    xmacro:
    Gray4lines:
    Rain:
    Wine Enthusiast has sales every now and then; free shipping saves about $100, but then again, Amazon has free shipping for orders over $25 and an awesome return policy
    http://www.wineenthusiast.com/wine-enthusiast-silent-24-bottle-dual-zone-touchscreen-wine-refrigerator-(outlet-b2720324).asp

There are several units advertised here that would make a first rate wineador, not too expensive either.

I tried a dual zone once, I'd never get another dual zone again. Definitely recommend against them. Serious problems with maintaining RH; ones too dry, ones too wet since the humidity dribbles from one to the other - ugh. One big wineador is just easier to maintain since there's more room for air flow
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    xmacro:
    I tried a dual zone once, I'd never get another dual zone again. Definitely recommend against them. Serious problems with maintaining RH; ones too dry, ones too wet since the humidity dribbles from one to the other - ugh. One big wineador is just easier to maintain since there's more room for air flow
    I was thinking of actually keeping wine in one zone and cigars in the other.
    Eh, it depends how you set it up. The biggest issue I had with dual zones was that there's a little space between the glass and the dual zones, so humidity can slip between the zones. The problem is, while it's big enough for humidity to slip between the zones, it's not big enough for the zones to equalize the RH, so one was always higher than the other.

If you can figure out which zone is higher, I suppose it could work; never tried it myself.