Home Pipes

Thoughts/comparison of two

mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
I am trying to decide between Frog Morton on the Bayou and Sutliff PS Balkan Luxury. Anyone care to share their thoughts on each? Possibly an idea of how they compare to each other? Any input greatly appreciated. Mason

Comments

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been smoking the Balkan Luxury lately. I like it a lot late in the day. Pretty strong on the Latakia, I've committed one pipe to it. I've also been contemplating the Frog Morton lines, so I'm interested in what people have to say about this.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I love the Frogmorton blends, the Frog on the town is fantastic, but if you are looking for a nice touch of Perique then go for the Bayou...in my opinion try them all because they are all top notch!
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    I like FMB better myself. I think Sutliff is OK but the entire line to me has something that is not exactly my taste so I might be the wrong person to give an opinion. I place BL in the medium cat. overall it is a fine smoke, especially for the price. I think it is topped with something, which is possibly the issue for me. FMB is also in the med. cat. for me so you might pick them both up I really like FMB!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Amos Umwhat:
    I've been smoking the Balkan Luxury lately. I like it a lot late in the day. Pretty strong on the Latakia, I've committed one pipe to it. I've also been contemplating the Frog Morton lines, so I'm interested in what people have to say about this.
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I love the Frogmorton blends, the Frog on the town is fantastic, but if you are looking for a nice touch of Perique then go for the Bayou...in my opinion try them all because they are all top notch!
    Wow really? What do those terms refer to guy's. This forum has been very interesting for a non pipe smoker but now I have a couple of words in the pipe terminology that I have no idea what they mean. Help?
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    They are types of tobacco.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Wow really? What do those terms refer to guy's. This forum has been very interesting for a non pipe smoker but now I have a couple of words in the pipe terminology that I have no idea what they mean. Help?
    Latakia is very dark, oily/spicy. I think it's named after a port in Syria, ancient blend. When I was young I went hitch-hiking through Spain and Morocco, I'm pretty sure that Latakia was the tobacco (portion of the mixture) that men were smoking in the coffee-houses and market places. Perique is different, I'm not as familiar with it, but the blends I've tried with it in have a sort of fruity background.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Latakia: Latakia is a "condiment" tobacco, it is used to add flavor and cool down the pipe blend. It is sun cured and smoked over burning wood, which gives to tobacco a natural smoky quality, to me it is alike a savory smoked meat. This is a traditional tobacco used in many English style blends. It is quite fragrant and you will know it when you smell it--very distinct, very savory.
    Perique: This is another "condiment" tobacco. Perique is generally grown and cured in St. James Parish in Louisiana--at least the official varietal, although there are other varietals as well (i.e…Acadian)Perique. It is a Burley varietal that is air cured and then placed in to wood barrels under extreme pressure. This releases any water that air curing may not have removed, plus it causes an increase in temperature causing the fermentation processes to take effect. After one year the leaves are removed, re-piled, and re-fermented a number of times until they have the final product. The word is an old Creole word that literally translates to ***; there is a long history behind it but I wont get into that right now, just haven't got the time. Perique smokes cool, and has a very distinct toast / plume flavor and aroma to it. Perique is generally used as a "spice" tobacco to help kick up the wonderful Vitamin N that we all look for.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Thanks guys. That was very educational. I am thinking of letting my sticks rest for a while and thought maybe a pipe might be a good distraction for a while. Then I started to come in here and tried to follow you guys a little bit but quickly got lost.

Macro was talking the other day abour Molassess as a cure for the pipe tobacco, so I assume that is another flavoring agent used.

What would be some suggestions for a new pipe smokers to keep in mind. I have been keeping up on the thread where you guys have discussed some of these things already. I am talking more about what kind of pipe I should look for and or what sort of tobacco to try first. Thanks for any help you can give me.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Thanks guys. That was very educational. I am thinking of letting my sticks rest for a while and thought maybe a pipe might be a good distraction for a while. Then I started to come in here and tried to follow you guys a little bit but quickly got lost.

Macro was talking the other day abour Molassess as a cure for the pipe tobacco, so I assume that is another flavoring agent used.

What would be some suggestions for a new pipe smokers to keep in mind. I have been keeping up on the thread where you guys have discussed some of these things already. I am talking more about what kind of pipe I should look for and or what sort of tobacco to try first. Thanks for any help you can give me.
    It is a good distraction, my cigars received a break over the winter and it alllmost time to break back into them!

This is only my opnion, but if you really want to give pipes a fair shot, buy a quality pipe to start with. Some people fear that they will not enjoy pipe smoking and so they buy cheap, but cheap pipes can easily ruin the experience.

Luciano, Savinelli, Stanwell... are a few of what I think of as solid middle-ground brands. Quality, yet not anywhere near names like Dunhill and Castello in price.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America