Home Cigar 101

Connecticut Aging

RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
I was talking with Vision about this, so I figured I'd bring it up to the experts.Quite a few cigar smokers don't like connies because they feel like they don't have much flavor. Cool, to each his own. Does this mean, in general, that if you like heavier smokes you should not age connies? From what I understand, aging will cut down the spice...so if you age them, they will lose what little flavor you could detect in the first place.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Some Conny age extremely well IMO. I actually enjoy most Nic conny's with age. The Rocky is a great example of a terrible cigar that after being buried for 1-2 years takes on an enjoyable profile.
  • allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    It depends on how long you want to age them for. Cigars with lighter flavors may end up seeming bland after more than 1-2 years on them. I'd say, if you age a medium-and-stronger body connie, you should be fine, but something light from the start may not behave well after a year or two.

That reminds me, I picked up a fiver of the Fuente 8-5-8 in a claro wrapper about a year ago, I should try them and see how they are now.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    As stated its all about the stick...to me it's mostly about the blend and the time your trying to age. Connie's IMO are often bitter but with time smooths out a bit. But I'd say 1-2yrs your safe maybe even more but I don't know from experience
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this is really a subjective thing. i like all kinds of cigars. i like very mild and i like very strong. i have had a few connies with a few years on them that were awesome. just smooth as butter and very enjoyable.
    some would place them as "tasteless" but then again for some people the LFD DL 6X60 is a first thing in the morning cigar.

mild connies i tend to not age not because they dont have flavor after a year or two but more because they dont NEED age. i like cigars with little spice and the connies tend to be less spicy.
    im not sure i would hold one for more than 10 years without smoking it save for maybe the Camacho. even then it may be a bit long. iduno... very interesting thread.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Virtue ages well but I've never let them go past 6 or 7 months.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I have always felt that some considerable 'rest' does a connecticut some good. Although mild, I sometimes think they can have a bit of harshness ROTT. For instance, I thought the first Park Avenue I ever had was terrible - harsh with no enjoyable flavors. So I forgot about them and tried one about a year later - totally different and I think it's a great super-budget connie with the signature toasty/nutty/bread-y flavors that I like in a connie. I also like to let my Ashton whites and Ashton Cabinets sit for up to a year before smoking. Now most would probably consider this rest vs true aging (and I would agree), but in my limited experience the rest does them some good. I haven't experimented much with aging connies beyond 1.5-2 years or so though so I can't say much on the subject beyond that.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    The Virtue ages well but I've never let them go past 6 or 7 months.
    Why only 6 or 7 months?

I havent dove into the aging thing so much as I am a newb and dont have anything over 2 years except for what i've been bombed/traded. The only connie with over a year on it that I've had was a 5 Vegas Gold. I dont think that cigar mellowed one bit. Might have even been more spicy. I was Suprised. I have a year + on a couple Park Ave's. I'm waiting for spring/summer to smoke them.