Home Cigar 101

Adhesive for magnetic humidifiers?

ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
Does anyone have a fool-proof (because I'm a fool) way of getting the metal plates used for magnetic humidifiers to stick to your cedar lids? I've filled two humi's up with kitty litter and tried to use the double stick tape that comes on the plates but way too often when I open mu humi I find this:
not only aggravating but I’m really worried that one of these days it will drop and damage one of my sticks. Hesitant to use any glue both for the smell/fumes and don’t want to damage my lid. Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • ehehatehehat Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:

Zap-a-gap
    use with caution

Thanks Kuzi. Have you used this? Why use with caution?
    i have used it.

back when i was studying architecture and building little models of buildings this was the glue i used. it would hold anything to anything.

the caution?
    it will stick anything to anything. and it really sucks when it gets on your hands. its stinky but it sets in a minute or two. then it smells like nothing.

if you are worried about the moisture issues in the humidor keep this in mind:
    my father used it to hold a metal cap on the end of his fly fishing rod. its pretty epic stuff.
    So short of me gluing my fingers together (a distinct possibility) this stuff sounds like the bomb. Thanks brother, I think I'll be ordering today. Does it have a Crazy-glue like consistancy or more like Elmers/Gorilla?
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I only have half of what your looking for. Thought I was gunna have to hook you up. Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Flexible-Magnet-605005TR-Black/dp/B009PPF0ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362627359&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+magnet
    ddubridge:
    I only have half of what your looking for. Thought I was gunna have to hook you up. Check this out: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Flexible-Magnet-605005TR-Black/dp/B009PPF0ZG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362627359&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+magnet
    Thanks Drew, that is good stuff but you're right, it's half of what I need. and unfortunately the wrong half. I have magnets glued to the back of the humi's (one of which you sent me...thanks again!) and a metal plate with 2x tape holding it to the lid. It's that tape that wont hold to the lid so the whole humi drops; metal plate, magnet, and humidifier.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use the adhesive plus velcro.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I had the same problem and then I just went with beads.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought some good 2 sided tape and it worked fine the stuff that comes with the humidifier just don't seem to holdup.
    ehehat:
    So short of me gluing my fingers together (a distinct possibility) this stuff sounds like the bomb. Thanks brother, I think I'll be ordering today. Does it have a Crazy-glue like consistancy or more like Elmers/Gorilla?
    it acts more like crazy glue but if i am not mistaken it is a clear liquid not a gel.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I use the 3m adhesive foam squares...they work very well
    Money can't buy taste
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried the two sided foam tape. Started sagging. Used Gorilla Glue. Works great.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Just buy another one of the Humidifiers. They're cheap (or about the same as the glue).

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Search/?cb_search_box=humidifier&ViewType=Grid
    webmost:
    I tried the two sided foam tape. Started sagging. Used Gorilla Glue. Works great.
    Davis, You didnt have any residual smell from Gorilla Glue? this would be easier to get than the Zap product, i was just concerned that my gars might absorb the smell of the glue.
    KCW:
    Just buy another one of the Humidifiers. They're cheap (or about the same as the glue).

http://www.cigarbid.com/Auction/Search/?cb_search_box=humidifier&ViewType=Grid
    I considered this but the two i'm using are brand new. pulled the backing off then right on the lid and they still wouldnt stick, have the same problem with both humidifires so I didnt think it was a bad batch.
  • prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    If you go to your local Home Depot or Lowes, you should find 3M 4200 or 3M 5200. Both apply like flexible caulk, but the bonding strength is incredible.

Used in the marine industry, it can even be used below the waterline. The 4200 is not as strong as the 5200, but plenty more than you need.

I tell people to use the 4200 if they ever want to remove what they are attaching to their boat, and the 5200 if they want it to become part of the boat.

• Rail_JockeyRail_Jockey Posts: 805 ✭✭✭
    ehehat:
    Does anyone have a fool-proof (because I'm a fool) way of getting the metal plates used for magnetic humidifiers to stick to your cedar lids? I've filled two humi's up with kitty litter and tried to use the double stick tape that comes on the plates but way too often when I open mu humi I find this:
    not only aggravating but I’m really worried that one of these days it will drop and damage one of my sticks. Hesitant to use any glue both for the smell/fumes and don’t want to damage my lid. Has anyone had this problem? What did you do to fix it?
    velcro strips work greeat
    So many great suggestions. Thanks guys, really. Think I'm going with Paul's for now. I would love to stay away from glue if I can and I'd rather stay with magnetic rather than Velcro if I can. Regardless, I'm sure I have it covered with all these. Thanks again.
  • FNAWriteFNAWrite Posts: 7
    Well, if you decide to try glue again, I find Elmer's Wood Glue is non-aromatic and works very well.