Home Ratings & Reviews

Tarazona Cubanacan Habano rothschild

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't know exactly what Tarazona has to do with Cubanacan; but I read that at RobbyRas. This stick is not the bundled Cubanacan with connecticut or sumatra wrappers. Not that I've tried those either. This is supposed to be something new. Can't find a true review on it anywhere. Everywhere I try to look up info, I basicaly get a press release at the other end.

I have a toilet upstairs that just eats toilet guts unreal, flappers and floats. So I rode to Lowes Saturday, and on the way back I dropped by the B&M a half mile from my house. I want to score a nice cigar box for a gift I'm packaging up. They sell their empty boxes for a buck. Could not find a box I really liked, made some remark about how they needed to empty more boxes, then it occured to me to pitch in and help, so I walked into the cigar room.

Boom. Here's this cigar with a name I never heard of calling itself a habano but not looking the least bit like one:
Where's the reddish brown hue to that skin? Seems like a color based more on gold than on red or brown. And it has a mottled sort of appearance. It's the skin that hooked me. Here's a close up that looks a bit browner:

Can't get a good pic of the color. It's more gold and pale green. Different. So I sprung like five and a half clams and took her home. Figured it would make an antidote to the well aged smooth and mellow cardboard.

Research doesn't reveal much about this stick. They call it a Rothschild; but, come on, it's 5x50 -- isn't that a Robusto? Odorless wrapper and foot. Tasteless slippery skin. Firm but not tight construction a bit looser at the head. Neat concentric double cap. Uncaps easily. Free draw. Still no flavor.

Took Cubanacan to the garage yesterday, after fighting the squirrel wars. Sparked up easily with one match toasting the foot. Volume of smoke came pouring out. Each puff hung in a discrete cloud. A mild smooth flavor; not creamy, but distant. An elusive flavor. Sweet; but not like when they dip the end in sugar water. Maybe like burnt honey, if that makes any sense. The aroma is sweet and floral. Some wood. The retro is hay and sweet. The whole combines like a flowered meadow in a fir forest. Very nice, very mild.

Went on about my business in the garage, while Cubanacan burnt slowly in Dan's stogie stand. Ash would hang for 3/4". Nothing came out until I hit it; then always first puff tons of volume. All until the middle, that is, when it abruptly died out. Lit up again very grassy. Then mellowed out back to burnt honey. A bit more smokey wood toward the end.

Burnt this stogie down to a one inch nub -- measured it. Still very pleasant; never hot. Lasted an hour and three quarters. Had it rated at three and a half stars. Then I proceeded to sniff my fingers the rest of the afternoon. By evening, I had kicked it up half a star just for the stink finger alone. Best stinkfinger since high school. I must be getting old. Let's call it best stinkfinger not from an otter's pocket. I got hours of enjoyment from both hands.

This morning, I have a mild grassy morning mouth and no wheeze.

Cubanacan Habano is well worth the try. I think I'll drop by and try another. Anyone want me to score them one while I'm there, let me know before quitting time today.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Davis...love the reviews. You made me quit my feeble attempt at reviews.Please pick one up for me and we'll work out a trade.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got it.

But don't quit the reviews. When I am standing in a B&M looking at mystery sticks, I like to yank out the pocket puter and log on here to find out what the BOTLs have to say. The more reviews, the better, is my theory.

Any other takers?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Nice! I still haven't smoked any of the Tarazona Cigar stuff... though, Eddie Tarazona will be on CigarChat next week. And actually we had him on back in July as well, though that was before Cubanacan was released... Seems like you were a bit ify on this one, so I'm curious to see how the second one treats you
    We'll ask Rain how he likes them: 9505 5103 2389 3057 4003 68

You mother trucker..Not even asking for any cigars in return. That just means you get hit harder.
    Leave my truck out of it.

Alright, I'm smoking this bad boy tomorrow. I will write my review using my best Davis impersonation.I also gave on to Jim, and he will review it sometime this week.
    I have not forgotten about this! Will get it done...sometime this week. My schedule has not been cigar friendly, because for some reason you can;t smoke at the gate while letting people in.
    Smoked this bad boy. Will get a review up tonight.
    So I got this stick from my buddy Davis. I say my buddy, but I only like him because...well, he's like that kid in your 2nd grade class. Nobody else is nice to him, so you figure you might as well at least say "Hi" so when he starts beating kids up he just strolls right by you.I'm on lunch from class. Turns out you need to know all kinds of dumb "laws" in order to man a gate. People complain when you beat them, but I just KNOW that some people are in to that sort of thing. Anywho, I'm in my car watching a movie. It's a good time for a cigar, because Thunder Thighs is at home with my rascals. First I try a punch, but too little draw. Pull out my ol' Spec Ops cutter and go to work. Much better. I light it up and take a few puffs.I must have burned the end too much, because the first few puffs are harsh. No, they're HARSH. Like when you go to court and the judge goes above and beyond to punish you. What do they know, anyways? As the sticks cools off, I get a lot of the basics...wood, leather, blah blah. Throughtout though, I get these flavors that I would describe as hay. No like "Hey you", but more like "Hay is for horses." Horses are the dangdest thinga...fast as the wind but as mean as a twice divorced ex.This particular cigar does not really change much for me...leather, wood and hay all the way. This is my new definition of "average." I would smoke one again, probably...no, for sure with more rest. I loved the smoke output...each puff dang near filled up my ride. Good thing I have a sun roof. I never understood why they call it a sunroof. It's my car, not the suns. Ain't like there is something on the sun called "Randy's". Whatever.For real though Davis, thank you for sending me this! I liked it, even if I did not love it. I tried to mimc you're writing style above, hope I have made you laugh. I love reading your reviews, the way you paint a picture and weave in and out of the review is my favorite part!image
    Yer ugly an yer uncle sam dresses ya funny.

How has nobody mentioned the guy sleeping in the truck next to me???
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    I have a couple of those patches laying around the house... and the guy in the truck... everyone needs a nap.
    macs-smokes:
    I have a couple of those patches laying around the house... and the guy in the truck... everyone needs a nap.
    In the BRO? I was attached in Iraq 08 - 09.
  • macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Yep... but I got out in 2002... contract full expire, out of IRR... I might have couple days age on you.
    macs-smokes:
    Yep... but I got out in 2002... contract full expire, out of IRR... I might have couple days age on you.
    Haha just a few!