Home Cigar 101

Family Tradition?

The thread about first cigars caused me to wonder if any others had a cigar smoking example set for them. IOW, did your father smoke cigars? Grandfather, uncle, baseball coach?

Both my father and grandfather smoked cigars.

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandpa smoked pale claro hand rolled coronas. Dad smoked Luckies; though, truth be told, first cigar I ever jawed was a Swisher Sweet which I stole from him. That's prolly not a unique story. Don't think anyone else in the family smoked anything on either side. Granny snorted snuff; crazy Uncle Carl dipped it. No one else..

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    No one that I'm aware of, I was influenced by friends and one of their dads. It intrigued me since it was something completely different than cigarrette smoking.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started smoking with my Pops and Grandfather when I was 16 on our first Hot Rod Power Tour. We ended up doing it four times over the years and the first two years I only smoked occasionally and only when I was with them. When I turned 18.... Well lets just say that they now come to me for advice and info on cigars. But yeah it's a family thing and I wouldn't have it any other way :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    My father smoked cigars every now and then when I was growing up. I didn't start smoking cigars until I was 19 when my buddy got me to try them. Hooked ever since hehe.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grandpa smoked white owls. He always had a box sitting on his end table next to his chair.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Nobody I know of smoked, but I DO beat my kids daily. Does that count?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    No one in my family smokes cigars, and I was introduced to them through a Brother-in-law. He loved Curly Heads, one called Beaconsfield Rounds, Te-Amos, and other similar low end premiums. I knew if these were good, I needed to move a little further up that ladder.
    Rhamlin:
    Grandpa smoked white owls. He always had a box sitting on his end table next to his hair.
    Is this funnier?
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Rain:
    or is this funnier?

• mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Rain:

What else are you supposed to do with them until they're old enough to do manual labor?
    webmost:
    Rain:
    or is this funnier?
    Lol I just noticed that:)
    webmost:
    Rhamlin:
    Grandpa smoked white owls. He always had a box sitting on his end table next to his hair.
    Is this funnier?
    opps quoted wrong thread.
  • wardcwardc Posts: 37
    My dad used to always smoke backwoods when we went fishing. I alway thought they smelled god but looked terrible lol. The rest is history
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Dad smoked cigars but quit before I was born...I do have a couple of old boxes from him, but they're machine mades, so I suspect that's what he smoked mostly. 3/4 of my grandparents smoked at one point or another in my childhood, but only cigarettes.

I've had some friends that smoke cigars, and the FIL does. Not super close to the wife's dad or anything, and only one friend is probably more "into" cigars than I am at this point. For most of the guys, it's just an occasional statement of their manhood. I guess I need daily reassurance or something...waaaiiiiitt a minute, that's not true.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my dad, grandfather, great uncle, great grandfather, and father-in-law all smoked cigars. though i think im the only one in the family that has taken it to its extreme.
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    My dad would fire up a Tiparillo ( yes I know ) while driving the family on vacation. His father smoked pipes and cigars when we went fishing. Good times and great memories.
  • coachrumcoachrum Posts: 18
    Grandpa, father, and uncles. They would have cigars for poker nights, golfing, barbeques, etc. My first real cigar was one of my grandpa's that I stole from his collection. Not a proud moment, but in the long run worth the risk. RIP grandpa!