Home Cigar 101

Why was that first cigar?

Again, from the first cigar thread, I wonder why your first cigar was what it was.

A couple of posts gave the reason that they were given the cigar. Always sweeter than a purchase. Some just state baldly the brand.

So I wonder why a Hoya, why a Patel.

When I bought my first hand-made, as noted maybe a Henry Clay, but Henry Clay's were certainly among the first and one that has stayed with me lo these many years, I did have some reasons for that cigar.

One was the name - it was an American name. I knew nothing about premium cigars, why not a name I could pronounce? Two would have been the color - I still love that colorado maduro broadleaf. Third the size/shape. I started with the breva fina and like with the color, I still think the 6.5 x 48 is a terrific size for a 'double corona' cigar, very balanced in the hand.

That's my story. What's yours?

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to my local B&M. Told him I intended to repel skeeters round a bonfire with a cheap smoke. Told him what my Grandpa's cigars looked like. He asked me what I like to drink, what I like to eat. Handed me a bundle. Said these should do you.

He knew what he was doing so I didn't argue.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• FNAWriteFNAWrite Posts: 7
    webmost,

So for your first cigar you biought 20 or 25? Good thing you liked 'em, huh?
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Don't remember my first hand-made. But I remember my first smoke. It was a cherry flavoured Black-N-Mild.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first premium was a Punch I picked up at a liquor store. They actually haves very nice selection there. But since I didn't know anything about cigars I just picked out a dark one. I just thought it always looked cool in the movies. You know drinking scotch and smoking a cigar.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    First was a cc fonseca...why my buddy had them and we were playing poker so why not lol
    Money can't buy taste
  • Dunn2Dunn2 Posts: 23
    My buddy Rhamlin had been talking to me about cigars and how good they are. I started asking more questions so he said how about I bring you one to smoke on New years eve having never smoked a cigar before I didn't know what I was getting into he gave me a Morro castle didn't really like it so he was smoking a declaration and I asked to try it and I never gave it back lucky for me I'm only 15min away from the cigar shop and I can get them any time
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunn2:
    My buddy Rhamlin had been talking to me about cigars and how good they are. I started asking more questions so he said how about I bring you one to smoke on New years eve having never smoked a cigar before I didn't know what I was getting into he gave me a Morro castle didn't really like it so he was smoking a declaration and I asked to try it and I never gave it back lucky for me I'm only 15min away from the cigar shop and I can get them any time
    Dont leave out that bottle of Scotch. God what a rough next morning.
  • mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    I cant remember my first smoke but it was given to me by the cigar club that we started when I was in Iraq the first time. Have been enjoying the hobby ever since
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Why could mean so many things.

Why smoke at all?
    Don't know, just called to me. My house was pretty much all cigarette smokers, and I hated that stuff, but somehow I really wanted a cigar.

Why was it that day?
    I had turned 18 and could legally buy one.

Why a Macanudo?
    I had a friend who had a history teacher that asked an extra credit question: What is my favorite cigar? The answer was "Macanudo Portofino." I figured that was as good a place as any to start.

Why buy one at a gas station?
    I was 18 and didn't know any better.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.