Home Ratings & Reviews

Hoyo Excalibur #1

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
A few thoughts and a few questions I'm hoping some can help with.  I've smoked maybe 100 cigars in my life but only in the last few years have I paid attention to things like draw, body, etc..

I was expecting a Cuban like full-bodied, full flavored smoke with this.

What I got was an enjoyable, sweet tasting medium bodied smoke....no problem with that.  But the draw seemed tight until the last 1/4 of cigar at which time it seemed normal.

Questions:

1-Is it normal for a big cigar like this to be a tough draw early and then get better?

2-Is this a rich, heavy smoke?

I really liked the the last 1/4 and the first 3/4 tasted really nice but the draw was tough..

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I remember smoking this stick on a couple occasions. In my recollection, it is as you described it. Medium bodied, slightly sweet. As for the draw, in my experience, the draw on longer smokes is not necessarily tighter. I have noticed that some lanceros can be somewhat tight at the beginning, but the HDM Excalibur #1 is a larger ring gauge cigar. I'm pretty sure that the times I have smoked this cigar the draw was consistent throughout. Could've been that your stick was plugged a bit near the foot of the cigar.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Excalibur is a great smoke although I haven't had the #1 yet. I've never had draw issues with any HDM and I agree that it is more medium even though it is marketed as full-bodied. I think of the Excaliburs as kinda dry and a little spicy, high quality sticks.
  • FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

It's a good cigar and with all cigars, sometimes there's a draw issue.

May I suggest you try the Regular HDM "Sultan" in maduro, a little different blend but just as good IMHO.

Dan