Home Cigar 101
Options

New humidor/nowhere to put cigars!

I just got a new humidor and quite a few cigars from this website. My question is, is it better to put the cigars in the humidor without seasoning it, as long as I am **** about refilling the humidifier, or should I season the humidor empty and let the cigars just sit out in an A/C'd house or in a plastic bag with a humidifier?

Comments

• Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Welcome to the site and my suggestion would be to leave the sticks in a bag with the humi pack or in a tupperware type container with a humipack while you season the humidor otherwise the humi can actually pull some moisture from your cigars.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    rdnstn:
    Welcome to the site and my suggestion would be to leave the sticks in a bag with the humi pack or in a tupperware type container with a humipack while you season the humidor otherwise the humi can actually pull some moisture from your cigars.
    Ditto!

The seasoning is almost as important (if not more) than the upkeep of the humidifier for it can really suck moisture out of your cigars and if you start on a bad foot then you are going to struggle with keeping the humi at a respectable level
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd have to say that seasoning the humidor is more important, because at least when you fail to refill the humidifier, the cigars will dry out slowly, in an unseasoned humi, the moisture would likely be leached out very quickly. Keeping your cigars in a bag for up to two weeks will not hurt them in my experience, just as long as they are humidified...you may, however, want to let them rest for a while in the humidor as the water pillows can tend to over humidify.

Good luck with your new humidor.
  • Options
    bigbgballzbigbgballz Posts: 283
    I have kept 50 cigars in ziplock bag with humidifier and digital hygrometer in a cool dark place for over 3 months due to lack of stoarge. They were good till the day I sold them. Make sure you season your humidor the correct way, and it will be rewarding, otherwise you will ruin them fast as it was mentioned in the previous posts.