Home Cigar 101

what would cause this?

Dunn2Dunn2 Posts: 23
This is the first time had one to swell up wh image at causes this?

Comments

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's a Cameroon wrapper plus it's dry out which is just bad for that wrapper imo
    Money can't buy taste
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    did you have a humidity spike recently? high or low, i have seen it when either my humidity was to high and as i smoked the cigar it would start to swell as the heat from the cherry would progress thru the cigar, or it was a bit dry and start to burn to quick and cause the breaking of the wrapper
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    When a cigar swells and crack the wrapper, it often is a result of too much moisture in the cigar. Over humidified, or a properly stored cigar smoked in a much higher humidity environment. It happens.. Hope the next one works out better.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    When a cigar swells and crack the wrapper, it often is a result of too much moisture in the cigar. Over humidified, or a properly stored cigar smoked in a much higher humidity environment. It happens.. Hope the next one works out better.
    Yup that's probably it. You gotta get a digital hygrometer that analog sucks. I've had a couple Cohibas do that on me when I tried smoking them outside when it was real humid out. I also recomend you let your cigar sit for about 10 minutes outside if that's where you'll be smoking it. Give it a chance to adjust to the environment.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoking too fast is a contributing factor.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    smoking too fast is a contributing factor.
    #1 That'll do it to might be getting to hot causing the moisture in the cigar to swell up the tobacco.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Well it's a Cameroon wrapper plus it's dry out which is just bad for that wrapper imo
    Cameroons are really susceptible to this problem.
    Going from inside to outside while smoking one or going outside and not letting the cameroon rest for a little while can cause this type of problem.

I live in a high humidity area and am a cameroon fiend. I have to let my cigar rest for a little while when I go outside to smoke them. If I don't wait at least 15-30 minutes with the cigar outside, there is a very good chance that it will crack like that.

Agree that smoking them too fast can contribute to that, if you aren't in a high humidity area.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.