Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Tatuaje Ambos Mundos Sumatra toro

webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
I rode to the farm to visit my babies yesterday. Two seedling sprouting trays of 36 cups each makes 72 cups, and each cup held half a dozen or so seedlings. My surrogate farmer opined that Goldie's teensy weensy eighth full vial must have held 500 habano seeds. She tried moistening the tip of a toothpick and touching it to the seeds then poking that in the seed cup, but even the tip of a toothpick grabbed a half dozen seeds. Darn things are small as dust. She handed me back the vial. It still holds enough seeds for another batch next year.

I rode back from what felt like another world; a world where plants weren't just insensate roughage that real food eats, where green leaves are beloved, back to my more familiar world of steel and oil, where brown leaves are burnt, either bought already rolled or bought brown to roll. Naturally, I yanked an Ambos Mundos Semilla Sumatra from the humidor to celebrate the both worlds and the seeds.

I had high hopes for this stick. The Tatuaje name is good. Appearance was impeccable. Very beautiful, super smooth skin, feeling somewhere between firm and tight, with a bit of a sting in the taste and a sweet molasses odor at the foot. Caps stacked impeccably on a perfectly domed head. The cap popped right off when I cut round it with my knife. No shreds whatever. Neat and good to go. Unlit draw very tight, though. Tasting like molasses, with that sungrown tickle in it, that spicy sting.

Then I lit the thing. Took two matches and could have used three. Burnt a V up one side. Very tight. And out poured a harsh harsh flavor. Not a bad flavor, meaty molasses leather and wood with that sweet sungrown tickle. Not bad, just rough. Had me spitting right away. I laid it down to let it settle in while I fooled round the garage, looking for my brake bleed bag. Never did find it. Finally went back to the stick. No dice. Nope; it didn't matter how long I'd let it settle, nor how many times I let it settle, each time I came back it was just flat out rough. Rough finish. Harsh retro.

Then halfway along it turned sour. And stayed that way. Not the studgy kind of sour you get when a cigar has just about decided it's time to tar up and extinguish; but sour molasses.

I shouldered on, but... Not much else to say. For a 6" x 50 ring toro, I was surprised that it only lasted an hour and a quarter, despite all the rest I gave it. Wasn't sad to see it go.

Nice stink finger. Corrosive morning mouth. Wet wheeze.

I'd be hard pressed to give this more than two out of five stars. I don't care that it's a budget Tat; for the money, I can find you a whole heck of a lot better cigars. Take the Cigar.com Cuban Label, for instance. Looser, no sourness, smoother, better all around... and a bargain. Not constructed anywhere near so well, but a better sumatra experience.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Then I lit the thing. Took two matches and could have used three. Burnt a V up one side. Very tight. And out poured a harsh harsh flavor. Not a bad flavor, meaty molasses leather and wood with that sweet sungrown tickle. Not bad, just rough. Had me spitting right away. I laid it down to let it settle in while I fooled round the garage, looking for my brake bleed bag. Never did find it. Finally went back to the stick. No dice. Nope; it didn't matter how long I'd let it settle, nor how many times I let it settle, each time I came back it was just flat out rough. Rough finish. Harsh retro.

Then halfway along it turned sour. And stayed that way. Not the studgy kind of sour you get when a cigar has just about decided it's time to tar up and extinguish; but sour molasses.

I shouldered on, but... Not much else to say. For a 6" x 50 ring toro, I was surprised that it only lasted an hour and a quarter, despite all the rest I gave it. Wasn't sad to see it go.
    Sadly, that seems to be the consensus on this stick. I smoked one about a year ago, and it was the older style band too so it would have been more aged than yours .... but the extra age did not treat it well at all ... and it was sour the entire time.
    I don't think I even made it to the halfway point before tossing it.

I had high hopes, but it was awful...hands down the worst cigar I've ever had.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    I haven't had these for a while but when I had it I remember it being dry and woodsy tasting.
    Sorry you guys had a bad experience.

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I didn't care much for the one I smoked.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:

Just tossing this out there.. I find that dish soap takes the smell out pretty well. I use Target brand mouth wash which I think is stronger then the other big money ones and if you're wheezing you may want to slow down on smoking and probably get that stuff checked out.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vision:
    webmost:

Just tossing this out there.. I find that dish soap takes the smell out pretty well. I use Target brand mouth wash which I think is stronger then the other big money ones and if you're wheezing you may want to slow down on smoking and probably get that stuff checked out.
    Vision

I would never think of washing off a nice stink finger. A tasty toasty stinkfinger can entertain me all the rest of the night. I love it. For me, that's a big plus in a cigar. I likewise walk round for a while admioring the odor and construction and band before lighting. Same thing.

Likewise a good morning mouth. A tasty morning mouth can be quite delicious with coffee. A bad one I scrub out.

Wheeze is the flip side, I admit. Some cigars do that regardless of frequency. I only smoke on average once every other day. Sometimes skip two three during the week; sometimes once a day on weekends.

I only include these three in every review because I think they are ignored but important aspects of the experience -- not to make them negatives.

Before, during, and after, is the deal
    ,br>
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)