Home Non Cigar Related

The fishing thread

Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
Figured there are some fishermen and women out there in here so figured this would be a good start to rant or disguss fishing. For me ice out happened but nothing is actually warm lol. I'm a die hard so when I get the itch I still fish no matter what. So far the what're is still mid to low thirties but being a bass guy I still figure I have a chance! So far slow cranking has lead to success but nothing major this year so far. I'm gonna head out sometime during the week and hope the maybe a dropshot or shaky head will produce a better size! IMO it's still to cold out to flip and pitch jigs but I might have to go deep and drag a 3/4oz football jig off some structure. I'm thinking a chigger craw will slow the fall and won't produce to much spastic movement to alert the fish that its not real lol but who knows?!?!?!
Money can't buy taste

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Good luck, I'm just starting again after a 25 year hiatus and am having trouble understanding most of the stuff you mentioned. I'm used to night crawlers and meal worms. It sounds like most of your "bait" is fake, is that accurate?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    james40:
    Good luck, I'm just starting again after a 25 year hiatus and am having trouble understanding most of the stuff you mentioned. I'm used to night crawlers and meal worms. It sounds like most of your "bait" is fake, is that accurate?
    artificial ;)
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    james40:
    artificial ;)
    yes artificial...I find it works better for me and it gives you more satisfaction when you trick a fish into eating it lol. But what kind of fishing do you normally do??
    Money can't buy taste
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    love to fish, but don't love it enough to fish when it is really cold. i will start back up in april.....my big fishing trip is about 2 months away, can't wait.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    love to fish, but don't love it enough to fish when it is really cold. i will start back up in april.....my big fishing trip is about 2 months away, can't wait.
    What's your trip entail Brian? I'd love to go to Alaska for a week...that would be awesome sauce right there!
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    james40:
    artificial ;)
    yes artificial...I find it works better for me and it gives you more satisfaction when you trick a fish into eating it lol. But what kind of fishing do you normally do??
    Lee, 2 lakes within 15 minutes..hmmm..just sayin...and the previous owner left 2 huge tackle boxes stuffed. That was an excellent surprise for sure! Can't wait!!
    Bigshizza:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    james40:
    artificial ;)
    Lee, 2 lakes within 15 minutes..hmmm..just sayin...and the previous owner left 2 huge tackle boxes stuffed. That was an excellent surprise for sure! Can't wait!!
    lol don't rub it in! I should get out that way sometime just for new sceenerey and fishing. Always wanted to head west!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I love to fish, but gave up ice fishing the last couple of years because I'm too busy with college courses. Besides, the ice is 3 feet thick this time of year. You can drive a truck on most of the lakes up here (if you plow a road through the snow on it). The fishing huts don't have to be off the lake until the end of March.
    Our yearly fishing trip is in June, when all the snow is gone and the dirt roads are thawed out enough not to get stuck in the mud. With some luck and an early spring, we sometimes manage to get out for a weekend in May, but it's risky. Some of the roads can still be snow covered and the spring frost makes for mud holes that can get you stuck for a couple weeks till they dry out. That's not good when you are 60 miles in the woods with no cell phone reception and sometimes no traffic for an entire week!

Love the location, but have to respect mother nature.
    No bass this far up north, but we have Northern Pike, Wallye, Lake trout and speckle trout.

This was 1 day's catch from close to where we camp.image
    AND

awesome camgfs
    This Sunday I'll be going to the Fred Hall show (bait,tackle,boat show) in Long Beach. I go annually. I'm very excited.
    every year for the past 8 years i take a fishing trip with my father.

it started out just he and I, but now it is my 2 lifelong friends who treat my dad like their dad, the one friends father who is still alive and my dads best friend.

We go bass fishing for 4 days down at Lake of the Ozarks and drink a lot of alcohol.

it is probably the most fun i have all year long.
    Those some nice walleyes!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Are they tasty? Don't know...
  • pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Yes sir they are. I used to eat a lot of saugeye(hybrid between a walleye and a sauger) as a kid. Mmmm.
  • rburke1129rburke1129 Posts: 386
    pelirrojo:
    Bigshizza:
    Lee.mcglynn:

Yes sir they are. I used to eat a lot of saugeye(hybrid between a walleye and a sauger) as a kid. Mmmm.

+1...Jim try em u will like them...no kidding. I went on one fishing trip a year to lake Erie with my father for walleye only. My favorite was to coat them with some Cajun spice and fry em up. Delicious and I sure miss the trip as my father passed away 3 years ago. Good times!
    Sorry I'm late, but a manure spreader jack-knifed on the Santa Anna.
    rburke1129:
    pelirrojo:
    Bigshizza:
    Lee.mcglynn:

+1...Jim try em u will like them...no kidding. I went on one fishing trip a year to lake Erie with my father for walleye only. My favorite was to coat them with some Cajun spice and fry em up. Delicious and I sure miss the trip as my father passed away 3 years ago. Good times!
    At least you've got some great memories
    Just got back from the Fred Hall Boat/Tackle outdoor show. Here are a few pics I took that I thought you guys would enjoy.

Dreaming

My wife hates me
    You are a certified badass
    Stupid question...but WTH....I normally have fished the last few years for salmon from the shore. Now, I'm around lakes and no ocean so I need to transition over to trout fishing. Any specific weight or brand of line I should look for? And if you can think of a good basic rod and reel (new) set-up that's $75 or less I'd appreciate it.
    Bigshizza:
    Stupid question...but WTH....I normally have fished the last few years for salmon from the shore. Now, I'm around lakes and no ocean so I need to transition over to trout fishing. Any specific weight or brand of line I should look for? And if you can think of a good basic rod and reel (new) set-up that's $75 or less I'd appreciate it.
    jim for trout I'd go with a med/light rod and around2-4# test hybrid line...p-line flouroclear is pretty good stuff. As for rod and reel combos I would say go St croix triumph for rod and a shimano seirra for the reel. It should run around $80-90 depending on where you go to buy it. Don't buy a huge reel or else you will need a bum load of line lol
    Money can't buy taste
    danielzreyes:
    Just got back from the Fred Hall Boat/Tackle outdoor show. Here are a few pics I took that I thought you guys would enjoy.

Dreaming

My wife hates me
    sweet koppers table!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    wow bro thats kickin stuff.. I think you need some more stickers.. and that boat well yeah I want it...
    I need recommendations on a deep sea set up. Nothing hardcore. Just something for rock fish, small seabass, barracuda etc. (No spin reels)
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bigshizza:
    jim for trout I'd go with a med/light rod and around2-4# test hybrid line...p-line flouroclear is pretty good stuff. As for rod and reel combos I would say go St croix triumph for rod and a shimano seirra for the reel. It should run around $80-90 depending on where you go to buy it. Don't buy a huge reel or else you will need a bum load of line lol
    would this work for bass and catfish river/lake fishing, both from the shore and a boat? I have the $40 Ugly Stick spinner combo and looking for a nicer upgrade. Or would I be better off just upgrading the real? Not sure if a bait cast reel is needed for this (never used one). Headed to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow.
    james40:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bigshizza:
    would this work for bass and catfish river/lake fishing, both from the shore and a boat? I have the $40 Ugly Stick spinner combo and looking for a nicer upgrade. Or would I be better off just upgrading the real? Not sure if a bait cast reel is needed for this (never used one). Headed to Bass Pro Shops tomorrow.
    James, a baitcaster takes a lot, and I mean a lot of practice. Btw, you gonna be in Rancho Tomorrow?
    james40:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Bigshizza:
    i use both baitcaster and spinners.....i personally only like baitcasters for really heavy lures with a high lb test line.

I like my baitcaster, but i do agree that it takes a lot of getting used to. I spent the first 6 months of having it just jacking with the various drag settings and getting backlashes when i messed around too much. They are definitely not a pick up and go reel.....you need to know what you are doing with one.
    James the shimano sienna is a spinning reel and comes in many sizes...it's really the only one I use if I use a spinning reel at all. For the money it's the best bang for the buck!! As for bass and cat fishing I would suggest a med/heavy rod. The st. Croix triumph is usually no more then $70 last time I checked. I own one of them and use it now and again and it's not a bad rod for the money!! But bass and catfish fight a lot different then trout unless all you have are smallmouth then I'd go med weight on the rod
    Money can't buy taste
    danielzreyes:
    I need recommendations on a deep sea set up. Nothing hardcore. Just something for rock fish, small seabass, barracuda etc. (No spin reels)
    calcutta and a tfo inshore rod!! The tfo rods are carbon fiber so it's a pretty sweet rod with a lifetime warrenty!!
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    calcutta and a tfo inshore rod!! The tfo rods are carbon fiber so it's a pretty sweet rod with a lifetime warrenty!!
    How much are we talkin for this set up? I was hoping to get away with a set up under $200.
    danielzreyes:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    danielzreyes:
    How much are we talkin for this set up? I was hoping to get away with a set up under $200.
    oof lol the reel is a few hundred but the rod is $100. The rod is worth it's weight in gold! I use it with the Abu Garcia toro series but that's close to a $400 combo. If your good with cleaning stuff a lot I'd just stick with the regular round bait casters and do a bearing upgrade to ceramic so the salt doesn't eat them
    Money can't buy taste