Home Ratings & Reviews

Hammer and Sickle?

Just got a handful of churchills from a friend. Guess he's had them a while. He really didn't seem to have an affinity for them, so if it turns out I like them, I will probably inherit the rest (except for the nifty glass box.. Bummer, that thing is cool) Anyone familiar? Thoughts? I'll probably fire one up in the next few days..

Comments

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Met with a buddy to talk biz in a cigar lounge in Merryland last summer. They had a tray of these Churchills knocked down to four and a half apiece (Merryland prices are taxed up). I snatched one to burn while we chatted. Liked it so much I had to snag another one to give my buddy and another one to bomb I forget who. So good you couldn't wait to turn someone else on to one. I was busy that night, so I didn't take notes, but IIRC it was all delicious leather smooth and tasty. There are several blends; you don't say which. The one I tried was Tradicion. Natural Connie wrapper. Sweet sotweed leaf. I should've tried the criollo in the next tray too.

You're gonna love them. If not, score them anyway -- I'll buy them from you. These guys do a good job.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really enjoy these myself. They have a couple lines out, but the first and most popular is their Connie as Webmost stated. Very creamy and sweet with leather, vanilla, and the classic musk you get in AVO and Davidoff blends which is because Hammer and Sickle is blended by Henke Kelner who blends all of Davidoff's stuff as well as AVO and Griffins and a few others. Great smoke that often goes under the radar.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    I will have to keep an eye out for this Tradicion Serie. Sounds right up my alley.
  • Sweetleaf69Sweetleaf69 Posts: 43
    Wow, thanks guys.. Web, it's the Tradicion Serie.. I may give on a try today.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweetleaf69:
    Wow, thanks guys.. Web, it's the Tradicion Serie.. I may give on a try today.
    There ya go. Tell us how it burns.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I tried one today, between a MOW Puro Authentico and a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. IMVHO and newbie taste buds, the latter two out classed the H&S in complexity and str8 yummy factor. Perhaps I should have paired it with something else? Maybe they need time? At any rate, I will see if I can get the rest. I don't necessarliy want to sell them, but how about a trade, Web? If you are down, let me know and I'll see if I can grab the rest of them.. I'll need one to send to a guy that was particularly generous to me when I first got here.. ~S69
  • Jasonc1982Jasonc1982 Posts: 278
    Haven't seen any around here. One of many sticks I've been wanting to try :).
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweetleaf69:
    I tried one today, between a MOW Puro Authentico and a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. IMVHO and newbie taste buds, the latter two out classed the H&S in complexity and str8 yummy factor. Perhaps I should have paired it with something else? Maybe they need time? At any rate, I will see if I can get the rest. I don't necessarliy want to sell them, but how about a trade, Web? If you are down, let me know and I'll see if I can grab the rest of them.. I'll need one to send to a guy that was particularly generous to me when I first got here.. ~S69
    Each person enjoys different things, but I will say that the MOW PA is a full bodied full flavored monster and I love them, but a cigar that big will scorch your palate and you won't pick up even half of what is going on with a mild and subtle smoke like that. I'd give it another shot but start with that one and see if you have a different experience or if it is still the same? Glad you had some awesome smokes regardless though and get lit son!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I'll definitely put one in storage. And yeah, that MOW was a real stick of dynamite. I loved it. Very interesting from start to finish.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    did a review on them, good smokes
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Sweetleaf69:
    Each person enjoys different things, but I will say that the MOW PA is a full bodied full flavored monster and I love them, but a cigar that big will scorch your palate and you won't pick up even half of what is going on with a mild and subtle smoke like that. I'd give it another shot but start with that one and see if you have a different experience or if it is still the same? Glad you had some awesome smokes regardless though and get lit son!
    #1 that probably wasn't a good pairing. Shoulda had the H&S first. I don't smoke manny Connie's anymore but when I do I like to do it with a clean palette and usually in the morning or afternoon if I haven't had anything bold or spicy to eat.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Good smokes. I still have the glass coffin from a two-fer a couple years ago. The one with the copper band was damned good.