Home Cigar 101

Recommendations for...

hey guys - I'm very new to the cigar world, but I do know that I most enjoy a flavor profile consisting of rich chocolate and leather with very minimal spice/pepper.  Can anyone recommend a cigar with that kind of flavor profile?

Comments

• xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Might wanna try a Man O' War or Man O' War Ruination. They both go great with a cup of hot chocolate as well

If you find a cigar you like but that's too spicy, just set it aside in your humi for a few months - spice/pepper is the first thing to mellow out in a cigar, and you can see a very noticeably difference after just a few months of rest
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Try out the Oliva G maduro. Dark chocolate, a bit of leather, no spice. It's affordable too.
  • OntheflyOnthefly Posts: 2
    thanks guys, very much appreciated
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the 5 Vegas A series is a great, chocolately, semi-sweet smoke. The AAA has more spice; I prefer the plain ol' A series.

The Oliva V is quite smooth and deep tasting. I think the spice takes kind of a back seat, especially considering it's packed full of ligero!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont like spice that much either.
    my biggest suggestion is not so much in what specific cigars you should smoke, but in how you smoke them.

smoke as slow as you can

the slower you smoke the less spice you will have.

i find that Nicaraguan cigars have the most "offensive" spice if blended incorrectly. i would stay away from them until you have a good pace developed. a puff a minute, maybe slightly slower, is about where you should aim. a toro should be over an hour and a half (closer to 2 hours actually)
    also, stay away from stronger cigars. almost all cigars on this site will have somewhere in their description how strong they are. aim for a more mild and medium and you will cut down on spice.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi's advice is good and will change your experience with many cigars. However....

If you like leather and less spice. Anything made by Henke Kelner is a must try for you. Davidoff, Avo, The Griffins, Cusano. To start off ...
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Try out the Oliva G maduro. Dark chocolate, a bit of leather, no spice. It's affordable too.
    +1 on this. The belicoso vitola is really good.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Give an AB Tempus Maduro a try and like Kuzi said, "Smoke Slowly". Cut & light it correctly Try not to heat up the cigar.
  • I like the E.P. Carrillo Maduros and the La Traviata Maduros as well. They aren't spice bombs. My current favorite maduro is the Padron 2000 or Delicias.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I get a lot of chocolate from perdomo's various maduro wrapped cigars.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Go for Dominican Arturo Fuente's Bauza. Box of ten cigar only $40. Carlos Fuente smoke this cigar as his regular smoke in daily basis. You simply can go wrong.
    Onthefly:
    hey guys - I'm very new to the cigar world, but I do know that I most enjoy a flavor profile consisting of rich chocolate and leather with very minimal spice/pepper.  Can anyone recommend a cigar with that kind of flavor profile?
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    KCW:
    Give an AB Tempus Maduro a try and like Kuzi said, "Smoke Slowly". Cut & light it correctly Try not to heat up the cigar.
    i can't agree with this enough....i have a similar taste and this was the first cigar that i was blown away by.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, Pvnisher is what you want:) JK. The Oval maduro might be up your alley.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Go for Dominican Arturo Fuente's Bauza. Box of ten cigar only $40. Carlos Fuente smoke this cigar as his regular smoke in daily basis. You simply can go wrong.
    Onthefly:
    Oh Yeah, Thanks for reminding me Razz... I smoked so many of those a few years ago. Love 'em. Then I sort of forgot about them as I had so many new things I wanted to try.. I went shopping for them today and they don't offer them at many online places..But I did locate some new inventory.. Excellent choice with Bauza
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Be sure to try the Gran Hubano Vintage 2002 ! Without a doubt mild yet tasty !!
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    CAO l'anniversarie Maduro might fit this bill as well. Chocolatey goodness without much spice.

Also Carlos Torano Casa Torano maduro.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    X2 on the Avo maduro. i would suggest the La Aurora pref maduro's as well, and any dominican maduro as they tend to have less pepper and spice.